All new residents should use this new refraction tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Refraction Tutorial: Fundamentals for the Beginner and Expert by Todd Zarwell, OD

http://www.medrounds.org/refract/menu.htm

and subscribe to Pearls in Ophthalmology: http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/

http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2006/12/subscribe-to-free-pearls-in.html

Members don't see this ad.

Surgess said:
Thanks so much Andrew, for giving this link. I'm working on learning to refract now and this is so helpful! ;)

That's great! Make sure you spread the word among the new residents starting in July. This tutorial will help them get started with refraction. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This looks great - I'm going to bookmark this page and hopefully refer back to it after I am officially a future ophthalmologist.

Krony said:
This looks great - I'm going to bookmark this page and hopefully refer back to it after I am officially a future ophthalmologist.
Awesome. Maybe you should sticky it?

I am currently working as a part-time ophtho tech before starting residency in 2007.

This refraction tutorial program is extremely helpful, very user friendly, and has greatly assisted me in nailing down the concepts behind an accurate refraction. It feels great to see the attending make little or no changes as he "streaks over" my refractions now.

Awesome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

it's been over a year since i have refracted anyone. i was going through this tutorial which is awesome, but i foregot one thing. ophthalmoogists refract in + cyl, right? it's amazing how much you foreget in a year! :eek:

FP2EYE said:
I am currently working as a part-time ophtho tech before starting residency in 2007.

This refraction tutorial program is extremely helpful, very user friendly, and has greatly assisted me in nailing down the concepts behind an accurate refraction. It feels great to see the attending make little or no changes as he "streaks over" my refractions now.

Awesome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

i think it depends on what part of the country you live in. here in nyc, it's all in negative cylinder. it kind of makes sense since all contact lens have to be 'converted' to negative cylinder and i'm told that glasses are made in negative cylinder.

rubensan said:
it's been over a year since i have refracted anyone. i was going through this tutorial which is awesome, but i foregot one thing. ophthalmoogists refract in + cyl, right? it's amazing how much you foreget in a year! :eek:

i think it depends on what part of the country you live in. here in nyc, it's all in negative cylinder. it kind of makes sense since all contact lens have to be 'converted' to negative cylinder and i'm told that glasses are made in negative cylinder.

In the Navy at San Diego, we use NEGATIVE cylinder. It didn't take long to adjust, but my first retinoscopy was all messed up! :D

Also, new residents are encouraged to subscribe to Pearls in Ophthalmology:
http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2006/12/subscribe-to-free-pearls-in.html

Articles will be targeted to your needs, such as pearls on starting internship/residency/fellowship, how to do well during residency, tips on the boards and OKAPs, advice on transition into practice, and tips on the "business side" of ophthalmology for young ophthalmologists. Pearls in Ophthalmology is co-hosted with SDN's Ophthalmology Forum and is a free publication to serve you!

Hey guys, if you delve into accommodation and optics a little you would realize the benefits of minus cyl - there is a reason for it. Its crazy you "eye surgeons" get so little optics training :D. I've helped several OMD residents learn how to refract and properly prescibe.

As an OMD, I'll have to admit that I actually like minus cyl better. It makes more logical sense to me to be taking out excess cyl to correct astigmatism than adding cyl in another direction. Likewise, I prefer refracting in minus. It's not much of an adjustment, really. As a previous poster stated, opticians work in minus anyway, so they have to convert your Rx.

Anyone know why OMDs tend to use plus? Was it an attempt to distinguish themselves from ODs? Seems sort of absurd.

One of my cornea attendings explained this to me. If you are working with corneal transplant patients and using interrupted sutures, working in plus cylinder makes the most sense. The reason is that if the astigmatism is all corneal, you take out the suture in the meridian of the plus cylinder axis. (Remember, sutures flatten the cornea locally and steepen the cornea centrally.) This makes sense because if your refraction gives you Plano + 2.00 axis 180 you take out the suture at 9 and/or 3. (i.e. steeper K is in the 180 meridian, flatter K in the 90 meridian). Taking out a suture will flatten that meridian. I don't think this is the original reason why Ophthalmologists used plus cyl, but it does make sense. Also, it makes more sense for optometrists to use minus cylinder, especially when using rigid contact lenses (i.e. minus tear lens created to correct astigmatism). Just my take.

One other thing I will add for discussion. For pure corneal astigmatism, plus cylinder is adding power to the flatter K, and minus cylinder is subtracting power from the steeper K. But remember, power is 90 degrees away from cylindrical axis. This is important when trying to correlate K's with expected axis during refractions.

So... if you have K's of 40 D in the 180 degree meridian (horizontal) and 44 D in the 90 degree meridian (vertical) you would need to have a 4 D plus powerd cylindrical lens held in the 90 degree axis so that the power will be placed at the 180 degree meridian, thus neutralizing the astigmatism.

Oh, and IndianaOD, what is more crazy...the little optics training we get or the little pathology training you get? Just food for thought.

One of my cornea attendings explained this to me. If you are working with corneal transplant patients and using interrupted sutures, working in plus cylinder makes the most sense. The reason is that if the astigmatism is all corneal, you take out the suture in the meridian of the plus cylinder axis. (Remember, sutures flatten the cornea locally and steepen the cornea centrally.) This makes sense because if your refraction gives you Plano + 2.00 axis 180 you take out the suture at 9 and/or 3. (i.e. steeper K is in the 180 meridian, flatter K in the 90 meridian). Taking out a suture will flatten that meridian. I don't think this is the original reason why Ophthalmologists used plus cyl, but it does make sense. Also, it makes more sense for optometrists to use minus cylinder, especially when using rigid contact lenses (i.e. minus tear lens created to correct astigmatism). Just my take.

One other thing I will add for discussion. For pure corneal astigmatism, plus cylinder is adding power to the flatter K, and minus cylinder is subtracting power from the steeper K. But remember, power is 90 degrees away from cylindrical axis. This is important when trying to correlate K's with expected axis during refractions.

So... if you have K's of 40 D in the 180 degree meridian (horizontal) and 44 D in the 90 degree meridian (vertical) you would need to have a 4 D plus powerd cylindrical lens held in the 90 degree axis so that the power will be placed at the 180 degree meridian, thus neutralizing the astigmatism.

Oh, and IndianaOD, what is more crazy...the little optics training we get or the little pathology training you get? Just food for thought.

Are you talking about the 2 years of didactic training in ocular disease and 6months of required rotations strong in ocular dz we get? I also have a residency for year number 5. How does that not compare to 3 years of training with the eye, counting the first year of finding your bearings? It doesn't really matter to me, I'm more interested in binocular vision and educating the public about the importance of getting eye exams for children. You can have your pathology, it actually interests me very little.:)

As an OMD, I'll have to admit that I actually like minus cyl better. It makes more logical sense to me to be taking out excess cyl to correct astigmatism than adding cyl in another direction. Likewise, I prefer refracting in minus. It's not much of an adjustment, really. As a previous poster stated, opticians work in minus anyway, so they have to convert your Rx.

Anyone know why OMDs tend to use plus? Was it an attempt to distinguish themselves from ODs? Seems sort of absurd.

Visionary-
It's good that you prefer minus cyl, as optically it's much better. Plus and minus cyl developed through where the cylinder was ground on a lens. If the cylinder is on the front, it's plus cyl... on the back is minus cyl. It's better optically if a lens is ground in minus cyl, because light doesn't have to refract through another surface (except the cornea and crystalline lens, of course :laugh:).

Now to the "how it started" part. From my understanding, refracting in plus cyl is a result of being able to use diagnostic drugs to dilate the pupil and paralyze the lens. Optometrists weren't allowed to use diagnostic drugs for the longest time, so we had to use the plus lenses to control the accommodation during refraction. We plus up the pt to remove the acmd, and slowly add in the minus to get everything back on the retina. It's all about control!

Obviously, using the drugs yields a useless lens... so the fact that you prefer minus cyl is great if you are going to be doing any other tests on accommodation (but that opens up a whole new can of worms, doesn't it?).

If I end up at an OMDs office for one of my externs then I'm going to have to get used to plus cyl, but I've been sold on minus for sure!

I actually factored that tutorial into my learning process during my second year of optometry school. It's very good in some respects. The doctor does a great job emphasizing bracketing during cylinder axis refinement. I will say that there are some parts of his technique which could be debatable.

For instance, he doesn't do a cylinder power check before doing his axis check. I like to do a power check first, even though it'll likely be somewhat "off-axis." This way, I can potentially get more cylinder in the phoropter to use when narrowing down the axis. After the axis check, I can remove the cross-cylinder, and use the power wheel without the flip cross in the way. Most of the doctors I've worked with in clinic do power-axis-power when refracting someone with astigmatism.

Also, I haven't seen many clinicians adding cyl in 0.50D steps because generally I think we'd prefer to rx as low of a cyl correction as possible for best visual acuity—the same principle with controlling accommodation during the sphere check.

It's interesting too that there are other ways to go about this, like the clockdial tests, parabline tests, etc. I'd be neat to poll the practicing OMDs/ODs on which tests they use when they refract and which ones they don't!

thank you my frien very much .
i just graduated medical school and now i am in the first year of the master and really know nothing about eye and how to do refraction to the patients

this tutorial helped me to know how to think and what i am going to do

thank you alot

Hello Current and Future Ophthalmologists!

I'm new to SDN, so I apologize if I am responding to a thread or going about posting my situation in a less than preferable way. :)

I'm an M4, and unfortunately I did not match this cycle. I applied broadly to 93 programs.

Regarding my stats-Step 1=219; Step 2=218
My class rank is low. No AOA.

2 publications in Ophthalmology, several abstracts and poster presentations, and a long standing history of dedicated extracurriculars in Ophtho (volunteer abroad at Eye clinics, worked at an Eye Bank, and started a glaucoma screening clinic in my community).

I'm aware that the numbers are not in my favor, and that puts me at a significant disadvantage for a competitive field like Ophthalmology.

I am seeking advice here from all those who have matched-what should I do? How should I prove that I am capable of being a good resident and passing the OKAPS and Ophtho boards given my low board scores and GPA? When should I apply? What should I do this year?

Any guidance or help is genuinely appreciated!