All Pre-reqs at a CC: Good or Bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noteanoshade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I finish my general pre-requisites for nursing school next spring. I am currently on the hunt for summer internship for 2016 to boost my med-school application and I wouldn't start nursing school until Fall of 2016. However, my real concern is that I will be taking all my medical school pre-requisites at my CC. Would be that be bad?

If so, what if I took higher level courses at a university after taking those pre-requisites, would that help?

Members don't see this ad.

Typically, core classes at CC isn't preferred. Also, if you're interested in medical school, why are you in a nursing program?

Typically, core classes at CC isn't preferred. Also, if you're interested in medical school, why are you in a nursing program?
My original plan so far was to go to nursing school and possibly be a CRNA because I want to be more than a nurse. However, I would change my major to something other than nursing but I would be in school even longer due to my classes not being able transfer efficiently into another major.

I still have more than enough time to decide but I would rather be prepared than behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be OK. MSAR Online will tell you which MD schools accept CC credits in the pre-reqs, more and more are doing so now. The only thing they don't like is the appearance of you taking the pre-reqs at a CC when you're already at a 4 year school. It gives the appearance that you're avoiding the more rigorous wedding courses.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing they don't like is the appearance of you taking the pre-reqs at a CC when you're already at a 4 year school. It gives the appearance that you're avoiding the more rigorous wedding courses.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the bolded portion. I am taking pre-reqs. at a CC while doing my Masters at a 4 year school, is the perception any different? I know you've mentioned non-traditional students are given some leeway.

Non-trads are indeed given leeway in this regard. You're fine!

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the bolded portion. I am taking pre-reqs. at a CC while doing my Masters at a 4 year school, is the perception any different? I know you've mentioned non-traditional students are given some leeway.

It will be OK. MSAR Online will tell you which MD schools accept CC credits in the pre-reqs, more and more are doing so now. The only thing they don't like is the appearance of you taking the pre-reqs at a CC when you're already at a 4 year school. It gives the appearance that you're avoiding the more rigorous wedding courses.
I am not exactly at a four-year university currently but from my last thread you replied to, I went from a university, back to a CC and am going to go to a nursing school that is affliated with Barnes Jewish Hospital. My choice is going to be Goldfarb School of Nursing for next fall.. With doing so, would I be okay?

Do well and you'll be fine. Good luck!

I am not exactly at a four-year university currently but from my last thread you replied to, I went from a university, back to a CC and am going to go to a nursing school that is affliated with Barnes Jewish Hospital. My choice is going to be Goldfarb School of Nursing for next fall.. With doing so, would I be okay?

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend taking pre-reqs at a CC only because admissions look for university level coursework in order to see if you can handle such a rigorous course load.

Last edited:
Hi,

I wouldn't recommend taking pre-reqs at a CC only because admissions look for university level coursework; in order to see if you can handle such a rigorous course load.

Not necessarily true.

You want to make yourself competitive as possible. I would suggest CC coursework if you have a viable work history with patients. :)
I have no prior experience with patients at all. I am trying to find a hospital to volunteer for the fall and spring. Would it be worth to try to get a CNA or EMT certification?

I have no prior experience with patients at all. I am trying to find a hospital to volunteer for the fall and spring. Would it be worth to try to get a CNA or EMT certification?
Becoming an EMT or CNA (especially an EMT) takes too long and is unnecessary for nontrads. Look to volunteer not only at hospitals.. but at nursing homes, small clinics, Planned Parenthood. Combine that with some shadowing and you'll be fine in regard to being around sick people/physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Becoming an EMT or CNA (especially an EMT) takes too long and is unnecessary for nontrads. Look to volunteer not only at hospitals.. but at nursing homes, small clinics, Planned Parenthood. Combine that with some shadowing and you'll be fine in regard to being around sick people/physicians.
I have heard folks say that makes a difference and out of the ordinary. What volunteer experience could vouch for that?

You want to make yourself competitive as possible. I would suggest CC coursework if you have a viable work history with patients. :)

Typically CC coursework are a great option for nontrads who have completed a bachelors degree and are looking for a cheaper route because they have families and are on a tight budget. There can be an ongoing debate as to whether university level coursework are indeed more vigorous than their community college counterpart. I can tell you from personal experience, I've had experiences where I felt some of my coursework at my community college was more difficult than at my state university college. My current chemistry instructor at my local community college holds a Ph.D in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, he have written many publications and is very active in the pharmaceutical and biomedical science community. Just because he teaches at our community college, doesn't mean that his coursework will be deemed inadequate compared to a university level class.

Typically CC coursework are a great option for nontrads who have completed a bachelors degree and are looking for a cheaper route because they have families and are on a tight budget. There can be an ongoing debate as to whether university level coursework are indeed more vigorous than their community college counterpart. I can tell you from personal experience, I've had experiences where I felt some of my coursework at my community college was more difficult than at my state university college. My current chemistry instructor at my local community college holds a Ph.D in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, he have written many publications and is very active in the pharmaceutical and biomedical science community. Just because he teaches at our community college, doesn't mean that his coursework will be deemed inadequate compared to a university level class.

Whether a CC class is actually more difficult or not doesn't matter, what the adcoms perceive is what counts. Generally speaking CC classes will be seen as easier than classes from most 4 year institutions. If your prof is as established as you say he is, I'd get a letter of rec from him as it can help show that the course was legitimate and not just a GPA booster, especially for a pre-req course.

Whether a CC class is actually more difficult or not doesn't matter, what the adcoms perceive is what counts. Generally speaking CC classes will be seen as easier than classes from most 4 year institutions. If your prof is as established as you say he is, I'd get a letter of rec from him as it can help show that the course was legitimate and not just a GPA booster, especially for a pre-req course.

Those are my exact intentions. To do well and get a LOR from him.

This is an interesting thread. I am a 25 nontrad student, that is starting classes this fall at a community college. Is it truly a disadvantage for someone to have some college credits from a CC? Any current MD students take some community college classes? I see some mixed opinions here.

I understand your point as I transferred in credits from a CC and I'm a non-trad. Unfortunately, the only things that helped me were LORs, work hx, and doing my best to rock the interview. Yes, my grades were considerable but not my saving grace. This is why I stated it is best to have a strong back up when applying. Mind you, you are in competition against some stellar candidates from high tier universities.

To add, CNA and phlebotomy are good routes. There are programs that are 1-4mos long. It's always best to have many anchors outside of classes.

Good luck to you!

This is an interesting thread. I am a 25 nontrad student, that is starting classes this fall at a community college. Is it truly a disadvantage for someone to have some college credits from a CC? Any current MD students take some community college classes? I see some mixed opinions here.

It's controversial, but in general, it seems that the top tier schools may be more likely to hold their noses at CC coursework.

Personally, I feel that if the curriculum and rubrics are essentially the same, prejudice against CC coursework is, well, elitist.

Some will admit this, while others won't. Some care, and some won't necessarily. IMHO, they should stick with the approach of looking at the whole application of the individual; but the sheer, overwhelming number of applicants brings it down to cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT as the initial weeder-factors. If applicants make the necessary cut-off in those areas, then hopefully applicants will be afforded a holistic approach toward their application.

So, you have to do what you have to do. If you have to do a lot of the pre-req sciences at a CC, my opinion is to make sure it's a good one and that it is somehow affiliated or linked with at least area universities. Also, just do the basic science pre-reqs at CC and do your o-chems,physics, and biochem at a 4 yr/university if you can.

If, however, you really feel like you are getting a lot out of a chem prof at your CC (I had a PhD of Chem at a CC that was great.) and you think you can get her/him when you register for other chem courses, this may also turn to your benefit--both in terms of LOR and in terms of what you are learning in order to do well on that related part of the MCAT. I feel like I am taking something not only to jump through some hoops, but to actually understand and experience true learning. Why should I surrender that to the risk of another at a four-year--and of that be dealing primarily with a TA and paying a lot more money for it? So, call me nuts, but if the prof at the CC is truly a dedicated, superstar teacher that loves teaching and helping you, that's immensely valuable to me as a student.

At the bigger university, a certain amount of your professors/teachers are going to be like the roll of the dice. If you know the quality of the teaching you are getting going in, that is to your advantage. Sometimes Rate My Professor is fair, and sometimes it's not. So, just like the med schools want to grant seats to those that are more of a sure thing, I also want to take advantage of having more of a sure thing when it comes to my educational influences--yes--even if I know that most of the learning one does, one does independently. I mean, even though you have to know how to teach yourself, having an excellent professor just makes the whole experience so much more rewarding all the way around. Everything can't be about checking off boxes and doing what is most politically expedient. I mean, we forget that we are paying for our education--at least in most cases. Great teaching is IMHO a talent as much as it is being about knowing skills, pedagogy, and other requirement of the profession. When the student has a really great or good teacher, the whole experience is more pleasurable and meaningful for the student.

This is only one person's opinion. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know as bad it sounds but I'm wanting finish all my pre-reqs at a CC because it keeps my school debt down and I can't afford the financial burden. I thought about taking a few courses after my pre-reqs to enhance my academic record at a four year but would that even make a difference?

I understand that it does matter but will that honestly hinder my chances to being accepted into a top tier medical school if I do it?

I went to a cc for two years. I didn't do prereqs there, but I took a ton of gen ed stuff there and it was fine. I think you'd be okay to take prereqs at your cc but I was there 5 years ago and the perception was different. My community college also didn't have all the classes (organic, physics 2), so I waited. But you will be fine if you take them there first. It was also good for me because I did well there. This helped me develop the habits I needed to continue to do well afterward.
It's controversial, but in general, it seems that the top tier schools may be more likely to hold their noses at CC coursework.

I can't speak for all "top tiers" but the "top 10" (whatever that means) schools I interviewed at didn't have a problem with my coursework. Again, though, no prereqs. I think JHU just started accepting cc prereqs in the last year or two, though.

I went to a cc for two years. I didn't do prereqs there, but I took a ton of gen ed stuff there and it was fine. I think you'd be okay to take prereqs at your cc but I was there 5 years ago and the perception was different. My community college also didn't have all the classes (organic, physics 2), so I waited. But you will be fine if you take them there first. It was also good for me because I did well there. This helped me develop the habits I needed to continue to do well afterward.

I can't speak for all "top tiers" but the "top 10" (whatever that means) schools I interviewed at didn't have a problem with my coursework. Again, though, no prereqs. I think JHU just started accepting cc prereqs in the last year or two, though.

This gives me a little hope because my CC has everything but Biochemistry! I thought about taking Kinesiology, Cellular Biology, Pharmacology, etc as well.

If I can ask, what did you do to make your application stand out more to be able to secure an acceptance at JHU?

Personally, I feel that if the curriculum and rubrics are essentially the same, prejudice against CC coursework is, well, elitist.

Some will admit this, while others won't. Some care, and some won't necessarily. IMHO, they should stick with the approach of looking at the whole application of the individual; but the sheer, overwhelming number of applicants brings it down to cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT as the initial weeder-factors. If applicants make the necessary cut-off in those areas, then hopefully applicants will be afforded a holistic approach toward their application.

So, you have to do what you have to do. If you have to do a lot of the pre-req sciences at a CC, my opinion is to make sure it's a good one and that it is somehow affiliated or linked with at least area universities. Also, just do the basic science pre-reqs at CC and do your o-chems,physics, and biochem at a 4 yr/university if you can.

If, however, you really feel like you are getting a lot out of a chem prof at your CC (I had a PhD of Chem at a CC that was great.) and you think you can get her/him when you register for other chem courses, this may also turn to your benefit--both in terms of LOR and in terms of what you are learning in order to do well on that related part of the MCAT. I feel like I am taking something not only to jump through some hoops, but to actually understand and experience true learning. Why should I surrender that to the risk of another at a four-year--and of that be dealing primarily with a TA and paying a lot more money for it? So, call me nuts, but if the prof at the CC is truly a dedicated, superstar teacher that loves teaching and helping you, that's immensely valuable to me as a student.

At the bigger university, a certain amount of your professors/teachers are going to be like the roll of the dice. If you know the quality of the teaching you are getting going in, that is to your advantage. Sometimes Rate My Professor is fair, and sometimes it's not. So, just like the med schools want to grant seats to those that are more of a sure thing, I also want to take advantage of having more of a sure thing when it comes to my educational influences--yes--even if I know that most of the learning one does, one does independently. I mean, even though you have to know how to teach yourself, having an excellent professor just makes the whole experience so much more rewarding all the way around. Everything can't be about checking off boxes and doing what is most politically expedient. I mean, we forget that we are paying for our education--at least in most cases. Great teaching is IMHO a talent as much as it is being about knowing skills, pedagogy, and other requirement of the profession. When the student has a really great or good teacher, the whole experience is more pleasurable and meaningful for the student.

This is only one person's opinion. :)

I really appreciate this answer! :D Did you ever feel undermined and not as strong other applicants when being compared? If I could ask you, where did you graduate with your MD from?

Just take some more 400 or 500 levels at a university. If you do well your golden.

Well as far as shadowing? Does anyone know the minimum number of hours needed to show that you are interested in the field of medicine? I started contacting hospital today about job shadowing but I want other opinions.

Well as far as shadowing? Does anyone know the minimum number of hours needed to show that you are interested in the field of medicine? I started contacting hospital today about job shadowing but I want other opinions.

100+ hours shadowing, preferably 2-3 docs.

100+ hours of volunteering at a hospital, surgical center, etc

100 hours+ of working on a research project.

(I was told this a few days ago by the SD doc BLADEMDA...)

Start all of this as early as possible.