all this talk about cars...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolatileAgent

Livin' the dream
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, what do you dudes/dudettes drive?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only drive vehicles whose VIN #s start with a "J". Both of my cars start with that "J". Regards, ----Zip

Saving for my Spyker.

Hence the current Corolla. :-(

I'm currently looking for something with AWD or 4WD considering my location. I have it narrowed down to something like an A6 or maybe a RAV4 or FJ Cruiser I decide to go SUV. My favorite car in our lot is a resident's white Infiniti FX35 pimpwagon.

Anyone own a VW Phaeton? Huge monster luxury barge.

toyota prius...

expensive cars are a waste of money if you ask me.....drive it off the lot and it depreciates 15-30%.....sink the 100K into real estate or even the market and you are in better shape

my 2 cents

toyota prius...

expensive cars are a waste of money if you ask me.....drive it off the lot and it depreciates 15-30%.....sink the 100K into real estate or even the market and you are in better shape

my 2 cents

I got the cheapest car in the doctor parking lot. My early 90’s Honda sedan is reliable cheap and fuel efficient. Plus it will go 100mph all day long. I am trying to improve the horse power to make it faster 40-70 mph for passing on one lane highways with out changing the outside appearance of the car.

expensive cars are a waste of money if you ask me.....

a dimestore watch also tells the time just fine.

"No man, who continues to add something to the material, intellectual and moral well-being of the place in which he lives, is left long without proper reward." -Booker T. Washington

toyota prius...

expensive cars are a waste of money if you ask me.....drive it off the lot and it depreciates 15-30%

to each their own. what about those that have a huge passion with cars?????.....like me ;)

as long as people are not jeopardizing their financial security, i say let 'em buy (not lease) anything they want. some my cherish a prius, others a lambo

nobody else here have a passion with cars??? :oops:

to each their own. what about those that have a huge passion with cars?????.....like me ;)

as long as people are not jeopardizing their financial security, i say let 'em buy (not lease) anything they want. some my cherish a prius, others a lambo

nobody else here have a passion with cars??? :oops:

i actually agree..i was giving you my perspective...to each his own....i think that you should do what gives you pleasure.....i was speaking from a financial sense.....my mother always told me about all the money that I spent on my baseball cards (she thought they were worthless)...it is what it is, a hobby.....personally it would be hard for me to take something that I paid 80-100K for and find that in 5 yrs it is worth 10-20K...but that is just me...enjoy your cars........

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrangler. Fat ass tires. Couple more weeks, the doors come off.

Amen! At last someone with an American car (o.k., technically German now, but perhaps not for long...).

I drive a Buick Rendevous. Perhaps not the "coolest" of vehicles, but the payment is pretty good, and it's a really nice ride.

Seriously though, you guys should give the hometown boys a shot. You'd be suprised at the way quality has improved.

I had a passion for cars until I realized it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I bought a brand new mercedes c230 kompressor a couple of years ago when I worked full time 12 hour shift as a health care worker (r terrorist) but then decided to finish up med school pre reqs so I switched to per diem, then I took MCAT prep classes and I basically underestimated the amount of time necessary to finish all this crap and realized that I wasn't working enough to sustain the maintenance, oil changes, or any mishap that might happen. In addition I had to take a class 60 miles away (one way) so I didn't think that lil bastard can take 6 months of that so I traded it in for my toyota truck. Payments remain the same (increased, actually.. since I racked up 25,000 miles in 8 months on the mb and it wasn't paid off when I traded it in). Starting med school soon so any suggestions on what the hell I should do with the truck...I don't think my parents/friends want to pay 600 bucks a month for that.:(

I had a passion for cars until I realized it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I bought a brand new mercedes c230 kompressor a couple of years ago when I worked full time 12 hour shift as a health care worker (r terrorist) but then decided to finish up med school pre reqs so I switched to per diem, then I took MCAT prep classes and I basically underestimated the amount of time necessary to finish all this crap and realized that I wasn't working enough to sustain the maintenance, oil changes, or any mishap that might happen. In addition I had to take a class 60 miles away (one way) so I didn't think that lil bastard can take 6 months of that so I traded it in for my toyota truck. Payments remain the same (increased, actually.. since I racked up 25,000 miles in 8 months on the mb and it wasn't paid off when I traded it in). Starting med school soon so any suggestions on what the hell I should do with the truck...I don't think my parents/friends want to pay 600 bucks a month for that.:(

ouch.

Yup, that's what young and stupid does to you. Or just maybe stupid. I didn't know what I was thinking. But one thing I did get from all of this and was the point of my comment is that cars "measure of how much you DONT have in your bank account" (got this from JPP).

Yup, that's what young and stupid does to you. Or just maybe stupid. I didn't know what I was thinking. But one thing I did get from all of this and was the point of my comment is that cars "measure of how much you DONT have in your bank account" (got this from JPP).

don't be so hard on yourself. chalk it up to a life's lesson: live well within your means. as for the truck, you might want to talk to a debt counselor to figure out if there's some way you can refinance it. your REALLY going to take a bath if you try to sell it, plus you won't have anything to drive. but, keep whatever you do keep up with the repayments, or the repo man is going to come a knockin'... and that's never a good thing.

i look at that as a lesson learned AND atleast you got to drive your dreamcar(i think?) for a while.....some never get to :(

kudos to you for carpe diem..........as long as you make it through this - which you will

just keep studying :rolleyes:

garage_d.jpg

OK, i'll show mine now you show yours.

Attachments

• IcelandR5.jpg
    IcelandR5.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 147
OK, i'll show mine now you show yours.

man, you're ready for some serious off-roading. i'll be getting snowed on where i'm going, but hopefully not like you get in colorado!

muscle cars are over-rated. of the 169hp I currently own, the horsepowers I'm most proud of (and dependent on) right now are the four in my sump pump...keep up the good work little buddies!

2002 model year....still only 14000 miles; that's what I get for living in NYC...

sweet ride, man. and only 2800 miles per year? you should put a cover on that thing and garage it. will be worth a pretty penny in a few years.

there

Attachments

• BMW M5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 146
It, much like me, runs on booze :D
IMG_2920.jpg

moderators can post larger pictures or avatars. are most defenders sold stock or are they modified?

I don't think you can buy new defenders anymore. I almost got one about 8-9 years ago and the dealer told me they were not going to be able to import new ones because of the newer American auto laws requiring airbags and they do not want to put them in Defenders. Apparently, in Europe Defender 90s are used on farms and other areas where such a vehicle is needed. I don't know if he was FOS and just trying to get me to drop some cash.

are most defenders sold stock or are they modified?

Defenders were discontinued in the US only back in '97 for the reasons Burnt described. You can still get them but they are all used. As far as modifications. I bought mine completely stock and now it is pretty extensively modified. However, the mods are not limited b/c these things are so capable from the start. I have lifted it about 2", done some air intake and exhaust work, and changed the ring and pinion gears with lockers added. They go for anywhere b/w $20,000 and $50,000. They are currently holding their value very well. I have never seen nor owned a vehicle that holds its value so well. I could sell mine now for very close to what I paid for it 5yrs ago and if I held out could probably get more than I paid for it. Although, i have put about $10,000 into it.

aev brute, the conversion costs about 8K, you can also get a Hemi upgrade
P1010133.thumb.jpg

the range rover supercharged sport and the BMW M5....loving the tastes....rock on!!!!

:D

moderators can post larger pictures or avatars. are most defenders sold stock or are they modified?

Anyone can do it...you just need to host the photo somewhere like Imageshack and then link it here.

93000549in8.jpg

is that you getting smoked? hehe

I know an interventional cardiologist- still on the first wife, no other obligations... drives a 99 daewoo.
If you bring up the issue he will question the size of your pakage

me : 1979 MB 300D powered by 100% home brewed biodiesel
"powered by food"

me : 1979 MB 300D powered by 100% home brewed biodiesel
"powered by food"

that's awesome! there's a guy in our program whose brother uses the to-be-discarded frenchfry oil from local restaurants to power his car. he tells me that, as he drives around town, people say it smells like mcdonald's is driving down the street. :laugh:

that's awesome! there's a guy in our program whose brother uses the to-be-discarded frenchfry oil from local restaurants to power his car. he tells me that, as he drives around town, people say it smells like mcdonald's is driving down the street. :laugh:

Its like smoking weed without the buzz but all the munchies.

Its like smoking weed without the buzz but all the munchies.

yeah just watch out alot of "home brewers" brew and grow other things at home:eek:
just watch cars