Allegheny General Hospital vs. Atlantic Health (Morristown) vs. Howard Uni

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junbug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received invites from these three preliminary internal medicine programs (Allegheny General Hospital in PA, Atlantic Health/Morristown in NJ, and Howard University in DC). I would like to cancel two of them. Searched online but only found some old info about the programs. Wonder anyone who interviewed, was or is in the programs recently can share your thoughts on the programs. I am particularly interested in working schedules. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Allegheny General Hospital-west penn hospital. West penn has a good bmt/malig heme program. Agh on the other hand for solid Onc is very weak. The program does put service over education. The program director is a good clinician but a poor leader/pd. The program does try to maximize the use of fellows so attendings don't need to do much. Most lectures are given by the fellows for the fellows. Every tumor board is assigned to a fellow so they don't have to make a PowerPoint. And the cases presented are generally cases never seen by the fellow so one has to go through charts and figure it out. They also mandate 3 half day clinics compared to 1 required by ACGME so attendings have fellows to dictate for them in clinic. On oncology inpatient, as a fellow you admit discharge write notes like a medicine intern. Don't expect any research at all. They matched 4 internals this year because externals didn't rank them. BMT on the other hand is very good. You would be ready to practice without a BMT fellowship. With respect to internal medicine, it's an average program with a board passing rate less than 80%. They do take internals for most fellowships which is a huge advantage. I don't know much about the other programs.