Allergies during MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMaplegrove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm taking the MCAT on thursday (4/5) and am worried about my seasonal allergies. I planned the date partly because my allergies don't normally start until late april, but they're here, and I'm worried because I've heard that you're not allowed to bring tissues into the exam. Do you have any recommendations? I'm planning on taking medication, but they don't usually get rid of my allergies completely. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm taking the MCAT on thursday (4/5) and am worried about my seasonal allergies. I planned the date partly because my allergies don't normally start until late april, but they're here, and I'm worried because I've heard that you're not allowed to bring tissues into the exam. Do you have any recommendations? I'm planning on taking medication, but they don't usually get rid of my allergies completely. :(

get better meds...

Hey guys,

Try Zyrtec (or a generic version) tonight and see how your allergies respond in the morning. If it works for you use it before your exam. It's worked pretty great for me as opposed to other allergy medications. Minimal watery eyes, no sniffles

Hey guys,

Wear an absorbent t shirt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your not allowed tissues? That's just taking it a little too far. They could at least provide you with some. If I'm paying 240$ and studying for X months I should at the very least be able to blow my nose...

How about some Flonase (the generic is Fluticasone)? It works wonders...even when the pollen count is over 9,000.

How about some Flonase (the generic is Fluticasone)? It works wonders...even when the pollen count is over 9,000.

I was actually thinking about flonase. It's prescription right? I can try to get to student health and get a script before thursday. Do you know if it has side effects?

....Also, how can you cheat off of kleenex or your own pencils or any of the other dumb stuff they won't let you have in the testing room? If you need to resort to writing things on tissue, you 1) shouldn't be taking the test and 2) will waste too much time shuffling through your "notes" and get a low score anyway.

Flonase has side effects like nasal burning, headache, potential metallic taste, all the normal things a corticosteroid has in the nose. Haven't come across too many opp infections though and you're probably healthy.

Zyrtec can make you drowsy, Allegra is the least drowsy 2nd gen anti-hist.

I have the worst allergies ever (and the same test date!), so I take Zyrtec right after I wake up to let it "activate" before I go out. Also I plan on arriving early because my allergy attacks usually just last like 10mn then I'm fine. So let your body adjust to the place for a little bit before jumping right in to test-taking mode.

Good luck :)

If they don't allow you to have tissues then they are virtually giving you permission to wipe it all over their desk and chair. ;)

Hey guys,

I'm taking my exam 4/22. How did it go for you? I requested special permission to bring my EpiPen. Did you get to bring tissues? Did they supply any tissues?

I'm taking my exam 4/22. How did it go for you? I requested special permission to bring my EpiPen. Did you get to bring tissues? Did they supply any tissues?
Do you know if your scores get marked as having special accommodations just for bringing medication in the room? I need to have mine too. It is easy enough to explain in an interview but I would rather not be flagged with an asterisk since I am not using extra time or anything. Also, did they give you tissues?

Do you know if your scores get marked as having special accommodations just for bringing medication in the room? I need to have mine too. It is easy enough to explain in an interview but I would rather not be flagged with an asterisk since I am not using extra time or anything. Also, did they give you tissues?
I decided not to even bother getting the "special accommodation" approval because if I need emergency medication, it means I can't finish the test…. If I can have my medicine in the locker that is good enough for me. I honestly have no idea if that would come up on the score. Ask AAMC?

Reactions: 1 user
What allergy do you have that you're worried about having a serious reaction in the room? I also carry an epi-pen but since no one can eat in the testing room (and I wasn't not eating), I was not worried about that. They had tissues for us but they might have limited us to 2 or something? Not sure.

Yea well that's why I didn't even apply to bring it with me into the testing area. Seemed pointless.