Allergy/Immunology Job Market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDoc9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if all of the "doom and gloom" regarding the allergy/immunology job market is justified or if this would still be a good field to go into if it peaks your interest. Any and all feedback will be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if all of the "doom and gloom" regarding the allergy/immunology job market is justified or if this would still be a good field to go into if it peaks your interest. Any and all feedback will be much appreciated!
I'm not an allergist, but I was set on going into it as a resident until I spoke to some folks and realized the job market was poor. At my institution, only two of the last four fellows were able to find permanent gigs in the area straight out of fellowship. One had to do a third "research" year and eventually had to move far away from family to get a position. The other is currently doing a third "junior faculty" position. And I live in a relatively large Midwestern metro area (pop of 2 mil).
And from what I understand, reimbursement for shots and testing is going down as well. But if you're interested in the field, you're interested in the field...

I have heard reimbursement is going down for testing and shots

Also (at least in my area) allergy testing and treatment is largely being farmed out to PCP office via allergy corporations that set up allergy pod practices in the PCPs' offices. Not good if you're trying to be a professional allergist...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Job market is great. Fellows graduating in June 2017 at my program have all received multiple offers (at least 5 or more usually closer to 10) in locations they want to live.