"Allopathic" was originally a derogatory term - Interesting history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that we call MD school "allopathic" these days, because "allopathic" was originally a very derogatory term. "Allopathic" was meant as an insult.

The term "homeopathic" came first. "Homeopathic" was coined in 1807, probably by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, the man who invented homeopathy. Homeopathy had been invented about 10 years prior, and the central doctrine was (and still is) that "like cures like". If someone has a fever, give them an herb that causes fever. But give them such a diluted form of the herb that it likely contains zero molecules of the active ingredient, because "water has a memory" (which is bull****). Homeopathy was always based on placebos.

The term "allopathic" came slightly later, to describe "conventional medicine". But at the time, conventional medicine had a large emphasis on bloodletting and purgatives (herbs and drugs that cause vomiting). In the early 1800's, homeopaths were frequently making the very reasonable argument that bloodletting and purgatives are not helpful and are very unpleasant. They argued that "allopathic" medicine was based on flawed logic (it was), and they promulgated the insulting term "allopathic". The conventional doctors did not like the label, and they pointed out that homeopathy was also based on flawed logic (also true). In the early 1800's, nobody had any idea how to treat most illnesses.

Over a hundred years later, the distinction ceased to be "homeopathic" versus "allopathic" and it became "osteopathic" versus "allopathic". Allopathic medicine no longer focused on bloodletting and purgatives, and people had basically forgotten that it was an insulting name.

It's funny how language evolves.

I can't think of another insulting term that has gone mainstream and completely lost its negative connotations, can you? The N word partially qualifies, but everyone remembers the insulting nature of the N word, even if they say it in a neutral context. The term "shrink" in America is a bit similar, it refers to psychiatrists and is not really insulting anymore. The term "quack" in the UK is also similar, it refers to all doctors and is not really insulting at all. But in all cases, I feel like people at least realize the term used to be an insult.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In truth, no one really uses the term allopathic except non-MD "practitioners"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I nearly never use the term "allopathic" for that reason. I really dislike the term.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very interesting story! Thanks for posting it (I'm a big language fiend, so this is right up my ally).

Reactions: 1 user
Words are so amazing that I'm sure there are similar words with originally derogatory meanings if you look hard enough. For a reverse case, words that are now negative but were once positive, see venom, potion, and poison which all come from roots relating to "love". For a less archaic case there is ****** which was a log and then a cigarette and then a homosexual.

Allopathic is only used on these forums to make it easier to direct people to Allo or Osteo. They needed something to call it. Outside of the forums, basically no one uses the term allopathic. Even at my osteo school, they don't really use it, they just say "our MD colleagues" or whatever.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not saying the term "allopathic" is common, I just wanted to point out that originally it was deeply associated with practices like bloodletting and purgatives.