almost solo practice right out of training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montessori2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I'm thinking about going to a rural CHC -they have several clinics and each has 1 physician and 2 mid-levels. I moonlight as a solo provider in urgent care, and I'm ok with that, but would never want to do that full time because I'd miss being around other providers and I think my learning would stagnate eventually. Assuming the 2 mid-levels were people you'd like to spend your work day with, does anyone have thoughts on what it's like right out of training to not have another physician right there to say, "hey, what do you think about...?" Obviously you could call one of the other docs in the group but I'm used to the every day chatter about the latest issue of NEJM or JAMA or the new guidelines for whatever and it seems a little wild to just toss all that the first day out of training. But everything else about it seems awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a personality thing. I'm currently doing a locums assignment where I'm the only provider in the office and I really like it. Of course, I only do this gig for 2 days a week and I may feel differently if it were full time. I feel like I can get notes done faster and it's just "calmer". If I have a question, I usually go to UptoDate but of course I could call a colleague if I wanted.

If you are concerned about keeping up with guidelines, be sure to read every issue of the AAFP journal when it comes out and browse NEJM and JAMA to your heart's content at least every week.

Solo practice from the getgo here