Already graduated, how to ask for recommendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard Work Pays Off

Leo the Lion says Ger
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I was in a community college and was pretty close to my teachers and asked them for recommendations when I was applying to transfer to a 4- year college. At the 4 year college, I was not close to my teachers at all. I was only close to a research doctor because I worked in her lab but she doesn't teach. So for my science recommendations do I just email my old teachers reminding them of the good grade I got in their class and ask for a recommendation? I don't live in the same town anymore so I can't visit them. What's the best course of action do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Well.....this is something you should have thought about prior to graduating. A letter that only talks about your grade in the class won't really be that helpful. You may or may not get any responses by simply emailing them.

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, I already have a recommendation letter from my post Bach teacher (I only took 1 class) and one from a dentist. I just need one more and I t's just that at the 2 years I spent in the 4-year college I was dealing with really nasty life changing kind of stuff so socializing with the teachers wasn't a priority I thought my one research doctor was good enough, so you're saying I can't get a recommendation from her because she didn't realy teach me in a class setting?

I mean, it's kind of wishy washy. I bet you could use her but some schools want LOR's from professors in a lecture based course

I'd rather have a good letter from someone who actually knows you than a generic letter from a professor who won't even remember you. Just my opinion though some will say 2 letters from lecture professors or bust.

Sent from my LG-D801 using SDN mobile

I say just call them. Ask them to sit down with you if you must. I had two teachers that i really liked. I knew one of them decently, the other not as much. I emailed them and when that didn't work called them.

Hell one of my professors that i liked a lot never answered. I even left messages lol, and this one i had talked to on regular occasions between the Bio classes i had taken with him.