Alright guys advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberlynnp13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am an RN I have my BSN... I had a baby at 16 so my first few years of college I screwed up I couldn't handle school and a baby and working 3 jobs... Anyways I have a 2.7 at a cc and a 2.99 at another cc and the only reason that is low is because I got a C in a 10credit class all other grades were A's and B's and I can't redo that nursing class...and at the university I went to I have a 3.7. I am back at that cc taking chem 1&2 which I just finished this summer and got A's in both... I'm taking physics and organic chemistry now... I LOVE organic chemistry! But the physics not so much!! My teacher is very smart but this is his first year of teaching ever! He has no idea what he is doing and no one in he class even knows what we have learned so far!!! What the hell do I do!!? Try to teach myself? Get a tutor? I told my of my professors who is on the hiring committee at the cc and he is going to try and talk to him... I feel so upset like med school is not possible any more... I need an A and I need to understand physics as well so I do well on yay MCATs. I'm starting to get discouraged need words of wisdoms!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I am an RN I have my BSN... I had a baby at 16 so my first few years of college I screwed up I couldn't handle school and a baby and working 3 jobs... Anyways I have a 2.7 at a cc and a 2.99 at another cc and the only reason that is low is because I got a C in a 10credit class all other grades were A's and B's and I can't redo that nursing class...and at the university I went to I have a 3.7. I am back at that cc taking chem 1&2 which I just finished this summer and got A's in both... I'm taking physics and organic chemistry now... I LOVE organic chemistry! But the physics not so much!! My teacher is very smart but this is his first year of teaching ever! He has no idea what he is doing and no one in he class even knows what we have learned so far!!! What the hell do I do!!? Try to teach myself? Get a tutor? I told my of my professors who is on the hiring committee at the cc and he is going to try and talk to him... I feel so upset like med school is not possible any more... I need an A and I need to understand physics as well so I do well on yay MCATs. I'm starting to get discouraged need words of wisdoms!!

How far into your physics class are you? You might want to drop if you still can.

Yeah, probably want to drop if you can still take a W and not have it hurt your GPA.

Beyond that, I highly recommend Kahn academy for physics (and any other subject) MCAT prep. I never set foot in a physics class prior to my MCAT and that was all I used and it was more than enough. Great way to understand -- really understand -- the subject. Oh, and 100% free.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hated physics so much. It's my least favorite class to date.

I got an excellent tutor and did EVERY problem in the back of each chapter. After the first pass I would mark which problems I struggled with and I would go back and do those again. I would mark which problems I had issues with in the second pass and then redo those problems in a third pass, etc.

I ended up doing really well in the class but it was a battle for sure. I would also suggest Khan academy with concepts that are fuzzy.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm three weeks in... But I was planning on taking mcats and applying this July coming up and no other teacher is available but him.. :/ so if I drop I can't apply this year..ugh I'm frustrated... But I am def going to watch the khan videos our organic teacher make us as some of his assignments and I believe they help

Hey Doll,
It's all about finding the way you learn it,
Which may be visually or idk
Bc it sounds like you might have to teach yourself.
I have amazing study guides,
I tried to attach the book as a PDF,
But it says the file is too large

..or I might be computer illiterate lol

Anyways,
Courage Sugar!

And feel free to message me if you'd like the guide

I am getting a tutor for sure... And ill keep going to him during office hours

cid:9CB5966D-F9F8-4E15-8847-BF81E609A271

Sent from my iPad

Dang it. It doesn't work.
Anyway,
The titles of the books are:

Physics Demystified
And
Barron's E-Z Physics

Both are amazing and made to teach yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Nova physics worked wonders for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above statements, if you can't drop it, get a tutor and try to get at least a B... it won't kill you... Best of luck! Btw, one of the surgeons I worked with recently was a nurse before she went to medical school, it definitely helps give you clinical experience! Keep at it!

You have the added benefit of taking physics at a small CC, use this to your advantage. You can get a lot more one-on-one with the professor. I have to retake physics at my large uni, yeah calc 2 based EM physics ( long story, switched from pre-engineering to pre-health).

Also OP, are you taking all your prereqs at a CC?? If so are you planning to take upper lvl courses at a uni? At least upper lvl. Bio. Hopefully you have called the programs you're interested in and have asked about your approach to things.

Also OP, are you taking all your prereqs at a CC?? If so are you planning to take upper lvl courses at a uni? At least upper lvl. Bio. Hopefully you have called the programs you're interested in and have asked about your approach to things.

That's the elephant in the room...

But it's not applicable to the question asked at the beginning of the thread so I just left it alone.

Well it's a reality check the OP needs to get and hopefully have her avoid going through a very expensive process of taking the MCAT and applying. She needs to take a step back and really get the big picture. Some of us spend 2-3 years taking courses and beefing up our apps because of the calculated marathon mentality versus the panic and rush sprint mentality. The ladder just wastes lots of energy, time, and money.

I didn't take all my prereqs at cc... And I met with adcoms at one of the schools I'm applying too and they are fine with cc credits.. I'm back at a cc because I need organic and physics

Now I'm freaking out... The two adcoms I met with said it was fine to take classes at a cc but it doesn't make me look like a good applicant :/

Look I'll put it bluntly, don't freak out, you seem to be a bit misinformed on what it truly takes to have a successful first cycle. The reality is many great applicants don't get in on their first cycle. You're already thinking about applying at a disadvantage with just prereqs done at a CC.

I've done half of my prereqs at a CC and saved the other half to do at my university because I knew in advance the preconcieved stigma about CC courses with certain schools.

Again, do not freak out. It doesn't take much searching to find many who rushed into their first cycle only to crash and burn academically and financially. Enjoy the journey because it's a long and arduous one.

You have a solid career and are tackling a lot on as a mom, it's a very admirable mission that you're embarking on. You need to keep this in mind, we're all only human, maintain realistic expectations for now and build up from there.

As I mentioned before about upper level courses, find which ones the schools you're interested in recommend. Then just put them in your plan somehow and ace them! Keep reading the success stories though and I mean really, really read through them for mistakes to avoid.

Now I'm freaking out... The two adcoms I met with said it was fine to take classes at a cc but it doesn't make me look like a good applicant :/

My take on CC credits (and this has been echoed by med students I've talked to) is that they're okay, but the MCAT is going to mean a lot more for you. Get A's in your CC classes and bomb the MCAT, well, I guess maybe those courses weren't very rigorous. On the other hand if you drop a 35 on the MCAT (in addition to good CC grades) that should put to rest any doubts about your academic capabilities.

You need to do a good bit of GPA repair, so sticking with (most likely) easier CC classes seems reasonable to me. You really need to make sure you do well on the MCAT, though.

Reactions: 1 user
My take on CC credits (and this has been echoed by med students I've talked to) is that they're okay, but the MCAT is going to mean a lot more for you. Get A's in your CC classes and bomb the MCAT, well, I guess maybe those courses weren't very rigorous. On the other hand if you drop a 35 on the MCAT (in addition to good CC grades) that should put to rest any doubts about your academic capabilities.

You need to do a good bit of GPA repair, so sticking with (most likely) easier CC classes seems reasonable to me. You really need to make sure you do well on the MCAT, though.
This.

I second that this sounds most intuitive. As someone with a near perfect GPA and a not-so-near-perfect track record with standardized tests, I would love for GPA to carry more weight than the MCAT, but the reality is that the MCAT is an equalizer. Of course, a stellar MCAT doesn't cancel out a 2.0 GPA, but I really don't see too many adcoms saying, "Damn. I would be impressed with this applicant who has a 38 MCAT and has made As in all of her last 10 classes, but man...she took them at a CC. The MCAT score must be indicative of top-notch eenie-meenie-minie-mo skills."

Also, I don't have any experience using Khan yet (about to change that!), but from just glancing at a few of the videos so far, I agree that they'll probably be quite helpful. I used something similar in my gen chem classes -- I watched a guy named ISSACSTEACH on YouTube. As soon as I watched one of his few-minute videos on a topic, I was left thinking, "THAT was what I didn't understand?!" most of the time. If you need something else, look into Physics for Dummies (there's a version I and a II). I used Chemistry for Dummies on topics that Issacs didn't have videos on or that I needed a tad more clarification on. Both resources were lifesavers as someone from a liberal arts background who hadn't even stepped foot in a science or math classroom in 6 or 7 years.

Last edited: