Alternate for MSTP interview=switch to regular MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolguy1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, SDN! First-time poster. I contacted one of my top choice MSTP programs and they told me I was not slotted an interview for the next and final interview in Feb. However, they told me I am being considered on a shortlist in case someone cancels their interview, and I'm apparently near the top. I know the school interviews nearly 20 students per interview weekend and I feel like I can make a strong case if I'm slotted for an interview. But, the option to switch to regular MD is still available. Unsure which way to go... Has anyone been in a similar situation? Given that many offers have already been extended, is it common for people to cancel for the final interview date? Would you suggest to stay in MSTP pool or switch to MD only (with hope to reapply as an internal)? Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

MD/PhD wait lists really move at top schools, everyone is recruiting the same group of elite applicants, and will move down the list as they commit to other places

Does this school consider applicants for MD-only admission if they are rejected from the MSTP program? Does the MD program also interview into February (or beyond)? If so, you don't have anything to lose by just holding out for the MSTP interview.

Alternately, does this school even accept internal MSTP applicants?

Just a few things to consider before you make your choice.