Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Alternate list --UHS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by OldManDave, 03.18.99.

1. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Well, I made the alternate list to UHS. I wonder how that will work out?

[​IMG]

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    Senior, Neurosciences
    Univ of Texas at Dallas
    Class of 1999

2. TP

TP Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I guess there can be two good things deriving from being on the wait-list. First of all you didn't get rejected and that there is hope. The second thing is that april is approaching and that's when accepted students must make their 2nd deposit of $500. I believe that after april 1st there will be a lot of seats opening up for all schools b/c people w/ multiple acceptances and multiple deposits will finally make up their mind which school they will go to. Thus, after people withdraw their seats, the schools can start plucking people off the waiting list. So you won't have to wait long. I don't know what method they use to pull people from the waiting list though. Most schools don't rank candidates. Sometimes i wonder if they simply just throw darts at names or draw names from a big hat. I don't know if there's any method to their madness. Just keep the hope alive. Who knows i might see you at uhs this fall.

3. MedGirl

MedGirl Guest

Old Man Dave,
    Congratulations on alternate at UHS!
    I will be moving to the Dallas area to finish my undergraduate education before applying to Osteopathic School. What undergraduate schools in the Dallas area have the best academic programs for preparing for osteopathic school?
    I am interested in your feedback on the University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University, University of Texas at Arlington, University of Texas at Dallas, Southern Methodist University, Texas Wesleyan University, Texas Christian University and University of Dallas. Any info. you have would be helpful. If anyone else has any input on these colleges please post information. (I have already looked at rankings, etc. I really would like to hear individual opinions.)
    Thanks.
  4. JONM

JONM Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    MedGirl, University of North Texas has a deal with TCOM for placing their students in the osteopathic school. If you are set on osteopathic medicine I would check it out.
  5. VM

VM Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Old Man Dave,
    Being on a wait-list is better than nothing at all, but as you probably already know it is far from a guarantee. The first time I applied to medical school, I was placed on the alternate list at Saint Louis University SOM (before I decided to be a D.O.) I made the mistake of not having a back-up plan (re-take the MCAT, etc.) and it costed me more time and money. So plan accordingly. I'm sure you already know this anyway. Good Luck.
  6. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    To be more accurate...TCOM is UNT's medical school. UNT took it over a year or two ago. It is now UNT-TCOM.

I am graduating from Univ of Tx at Dallas. Therefore I am a bit biased. Academically UTD is an excellent school. The UTx system is working UTD into theis honors or 'flagship' university. Actually, UTD's selectivity rating is higher than UT Austin's.

The best thing about UTD is that there are only maybe 8000 students there and about a third of them are grad students. Until '94, it was a grad school only.

E-mail me for more on UTD. The other schools: TCU-excellent, well-rounded established University but expensive. U of Dallas-excellent private liberal arts school; but like Dallas, very white collar and very expensive. SMU used to be a top-notch school, but it has really descended into a rich student's party school. TWU and Tx Wesleyan...I know essentially zero about. UT Arlington is a good school but very large!! Many many commuters but lots of programs too. UTA is actually only a few miles from my apt; but I drive 35+ miles to UTD...that should tell you something.

Feel free to e-mail me for more specifics!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    Senior, Neurosciences
    Univ of Texas at Dallas
    Class of 1999

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal