PhD/PsyD Alternate Mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to work on a study housed in the medical school of a major university. The study had two PI's, one of which was a psychiatrist (MD/PhD) & the other was a clinical psychologist (PhD). The work I did under their supervision has been the most influential factor in determining my current research interests and future career goals, and I would love to continue working under their supervision and mentorship throughout graduate school. However, like I said, the study was housed in the university's medical school, and none of the university's clinical psychology faculty are doing research related to their work.

Is it at all realistic for me to ask the clinical psych director whether it's possible for applicants to apply to work under the supervision of med school faculty?

The last thing I want to do is come across as insulting or belittling of the work being done by the clinical psych faculty, and the second-to-last thing that I want to do is come across as someone who is completely out of touch with how things in graduate school actually work. That being said, one of the PI's is a clinical psychologist and has very similar interests to my own, and I know that clinical psych students have worked in the lab as part of their practicum.

I have found several other programs with similar research going on that I will also be applying to, so this isn't a 'make it, or break it' type of scenario, but I am curious to hear what you all have to say - Is it wildly unrealistic/rude of me to ask, or is it an even remotely realistic (although strange) request. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's unlikely that someone from the med school could be your primary mentor. Psychiatry and psychology departments are usually pretty distinct. Beyond research fit, there are a lot of other things that your mentor will do to keep you on track in the program that someone in the psychiatry department will not know about because they are not likely to be familiar with all the structures and policies of the psychology department. I would worry that asking if you apply to work with someone who isn't even in their department would leave the impression that you're mainly interested in that person and not the program. You could certainly ask if collaborations with other faculty in the med school is allowed, but this is more of an interview than an application question.

While this person could probably not be your grad school mentor, psych grad students do their master's thesis or dissertation with outside faculty from time to time. Usually though, this is at a local site, and it's due to extenuating circumstances (e.g., access to a specific population or study method). That being said, there's nothing to stop you from collaborating with these people outside of your other research work, just means you may be a little busier than usual.

I would absolutely ask! Situations like this involve a ton of 'unknowns' AND there are some factors that appear to be in your favor. Specifically, you already have an established relationship with potential mentors so if the fit is excellent they may be invested in having you stick around. Its less training for them and an extra, smart, dependable person who can help keep the research machine running full speed ahead. From a programatic standpoint, if the faculty in the medical school have grant funding, then its possible they could foot the bill for some (or all) of your education, which means the department may be able to admit you into the program but not have to expend the typical amount of financial resources on you to get you through the program.

I think your best bet is to talk to your mentors in the medical school to get their take on whether this would be possible and how they would advise you to navigate the process further.

BriarCliff,

I did exactly this. It allowed me some very unique opportunities that most psychologists don't have (e.g., going to some med school classes and seminars). Psycscientist is not wrong about the difficulties. Practicum and running off for class were confusing for the research guys. There were often scheduling conflicts and the cultural norms of the med school which were very different from psych wore off on me. It did not make me fit in better with psychologists. I am a Co-PI though.

TL; DR: good for research career, bad for therapist career.