Alternatives to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

72Beetle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal: Long time reader, first time post. I'm just finishing up my junior year of undergrad, and feeling a bit lost. I came into college with the intention of going into med school, but as time has progressed, I don't honestly think that's an option for me.

Some background: Physiology major with a low gpa (2.7 cumulative), and a certificate in public health. Now, I don't mean to make excuses, but there are some extenuating circumstances. I'm a student athlete for a Division 1 school, which means on top of class work I have 15~20 hours of training, plus traveling/competing during the season. Also, I worked part time to help pay the bills/afford food/build resume. Needless to say, I couldn't devote the time to study that I would need to in order to maintain a higher GPA (which I know I could do).

Here's where I'm at: After doing some shadowing, and a serious appraisal of my GPA, not only do I know that I couldn't get into med school without some serious work, but I don't think the life of a MD is right for me. I know I want to be involved in healthcare/rehab ( I love hands on care, working with people and seeing them progress), but I want a more balanced life outside of work. I'm planning on spending the summer doing some serious test prep, but feel a bit lost as to where to focus my work. Basically, what are some realistic alternatives to med school (grad school, associates degree, ANYTHING) that would even look at my application long enough to see past the low gpa? General advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So here's the deal: Long time reader, first time post. I'm just finishing up my junior year of undergrad, and feeling a bit lost. I came into college with the intention of going into med school, but as time has progressed, I don't honestly think that's an option for me.

Some background: Physiology major with a low gpa (2.7 cumulative), and a certificate in public health. Now, I don't mean to make excuses, but there are some extenuating circumstances. I'm a student athlete for a Division 1 school, which means on top of class work I have 15~20 hours of training, plus traveling/competing during the season. Also, I worked part time to help pay the bills/afford food/build resume. Needless to say, I couldn't devote the time to study that I would need to in order to maintain a higher GPA (which I know I could do).

Here's where I'm at: After doing some shadowing, and a serious appraisal of my GPA, not only do I know that I couldn't get into med school without some serious work, but I don't think the life of a MD is right for me. I know I want to be involved in healthcare/rehab ( I love hands on care, working with people and seeing them progress), but I want a more balanced life outside of work. I'm planning on spending the summer doing some serious test prep, but feel a bit lost as to where to focus my work. Basically, what are some realistic alternatives to med school (grad school, associates degree, ANYTHING) that would even look at my application long enough to see past the low gpa? General advice? Thanks!

Sounds like physical therapy/occupational therapy is a potential career fit for you.

Reactions: 2 users
And don't forget to look at nursing school options. You can take an RN degree into lots of fields that might be really satisfying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing
Counseling
Clinical lab tech
Research tech and/or lab mgr
Respiratory therapist
Occupational therapy
Physical
PA
DPM
Optometry
Veterinary Tech
Environmental Health and Safety
Occupation Health and Safety
Chemical Hygiene
Environmental technology
Teaching
Science writing
Chiropractor or Naturopathy, if you like swindling people.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses. These ideas were roughly the same ones I was having. I've looked into physical therapy, (ave a friend who graduated a couple years back and got into it who loves it) and I really do think I'd enjoy it. I think I'd like the work, but don't know how I'd ever get in to school with less than a 3.0. I'm thinking I should dedicate some serious time to prep for the GRE, then find a job in a lab after I graduate and work on retaking some of my lower grades to bring up the GPA.

As far as chiropractic work: Just couldn't bring myself to do it.