Always planned on med school...now thinking of vet school...can I apply to both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjobson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior with a major in biochemistry, and a minor in sociology.
As a kid I always wanted to be a vet, but started leaning more towards med school throughout high school and up until now through college. Currently, I'm a volunteer EMT, and am the substitute health director for a kid's camp over the summer.
However, I've been becoming more and more interested in vet school. I'm practically standing at a crossroads now. Do I start volunteer work at an animal hospital now just in case? (Don't know how I'll have the time but i guess I should figure that out). I know that you need a letter of recommendation from a vet that you did clinical work with (if I understand that correctly).

Even though I'm a junior, I'm planning to stay at least an extra semester. Have yet to take biochemistry, which I'm taking this fall, so I'll take the MCAT earliest at the end of this year if I can. I see that Cornell Vet DOES take the MCAT, so I don't think I have to worry about taking the GRE ontop of that....ugh.

Anyone have experience applying to both?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone applying to both at the same time. It would probably be a red flag to both sets of adcoms that you didn't know for sure that you wanted to be a doctor/vet. You need to make a decision here.

What is your thinking process that led to you deciding now that you want to be a vet? Do you know about the field? Beyond the wonderful parts, do you know about the debt:income ratio, the compassion fatigue, or the burnout? Most schools expect you to know about the ups and downs of the field when you apply.

In addition, working at one animal hospital for one vet likely won't cut it. In general, 500 hours of veterinary experience is the minimum recommendation, and schools like to see that in a variety of areas (small animal, large animal, equine, exotic, zoo, etc). Sure you can start there to figure out what you really want to do, if you really want to choose vet med over human med, but at some point you need to commit to one or the other.

Reactions: 3 users
@WildZoo pretty much hit the nail on the head, I just have a random question. How are you a biochemistry major and have yet to take biochemistry? Super random, but really, how? Seems odd that you would major in something if you hadn't even taken a course in it yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
@WildZoo pretty much hit the nail on the head, I just have a random question. How are you a biochemistry major and have yet to take biochemistry? Super random, but really, how? Seems odd that you would major in something if you hadn't even taken a course in it yet!

I didn't take biochemistry until my junior year of college due to the multiple pre-requisites required to take the class (Gen chem 1, Gen chem 2, Orgo 1, Orgo 2) so it makes sense.

I mean... I guess you technically could, but I'd imagine that it could raise some red flags, as @WildZoo mentioned, if adcoms somehow found out.

Along with that, if you don't have a substantial amount of quality veterinary experience - which is going to be required to make it to even the interview phase at most schools, anyway - then you really won't have an accurate picture of the profession. Lots of people like the idea of being a vet until they actually see the day-to-day life of one and decide it's not for them.

That's not even mentioning the poor debt:salary ratio, burnout, compassion fatigue, all-too-frequent client issues, and everything else.

I don't want to deter you from veterinary medicine if you really are interested in the field, but I do highly recommend that you take a good, honest look at both the benefits and drawbacks to the profession before you jump in headfirst. You can do that by volunteering at that hospital you mentioned, and it will count towards applications, too. But I would make sure, if you do ultimately decide on veterinary medicine, that you get exposure to areas outside of small animal, too (large animal, zoo, lab animal, equine...).

So, yes, definitely volunteer at he hospital for at least a week or two to figure out if it's still something you're interested in. If so, you can take further steps. I know it feels a little late to be switching directions, but I personally didn't decide on veterinary medicine until late sophomore year; in spite of that, I've managed to accrue 1000+ hours of veterinary experience in several different areas and am planning on applying this next cycle. I'm not the only latecomer to the profession, either. It can be done.

But like the others, I absolutely urge you to research the veterinary medicine career and experience it for yourself before committing to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither wants to admit a student that isn't committed to their respective profession or considers their profession to be second best. You need to choose. Getting to the root of why you are now considering vet med more strongly might help you make the decision. But also do your homework - our profession is a lot worse off than the human side.

And if you do decide to apply to vet school, you should absolutely take the GRE. Vet med is no easier to gain admittance to than human med schools and applying to just one school because they take the MCAT is setting yourself up for failure almost assuredly.

Reactions: 1 user
Human and veterinary medicine are very very different fields in practice. Someone who likes one will not necessarily like the other. Both require a huge investment in both time and money. In veterinary medicine, that debt load may keep you in the working poor depending on how much personal wealth you come with and which school you go to. So I think it behooves you to get relevant experiences to figure out if this is the right career for you prior to even bothering with applications (... and also because it is essential to your application anyway).

I love what I can do as a veterinarian, and it can be very rewarding. Some days I think about all the different things I did in just the course of one day, and it's ever the super exciting career I had always imagined. I find myself spending a lot of my free time learning procedures and such because I love it that much. But there are so many ugly parts to this profession that some days just really suck , and there are times I curse myself for having chosen this path. I keep realizing how I actually do have many talents that could have translated well to many career paths, and that I'd probably have more money and time to pursue my passion for helping animals (on my own terms, and not relying on client finances/motivation) had I not chosen this path.

Thank you all so so much for responding!
Yeah, I totally see how you'd be tacken aback by it - my school makes me take Gen Chem 1 and 2 and Orgo 1 and 2 before being able to enroll in Biochem 1 or 2. Stupid, I know.

Anyways, I'm gonna attempt to formulate a general response here -- I see all of the points that all of you have brought up, especially the fact that applying to both definitely would raise red flags in the eyes of admissions. I can't really pinpoint exactly how the thought of vet school resurfaced again, but I think just working with people all of the time is making me question if I'd really want to be stuck working with just people for the rest of my life or if I'd have a more rewarding experience with animals.

It sounds like the best option for me now would be to volunteer at the animal hospital, as you guys mentioned, and really see if it's still for me. There's downsides and upsides to both med and vet school that I just have to weigh completely.

I think one of my fears is shutting a door of possibility at this stage in my life in which a decision is crucial. It's scary to commit. But adequately exposing myself to the animals through some side volunteer work as I try to decide would definitely help me feel more confident in moving on in either.

but I think just working with people all of the time is making me question if I'd really want to be stuck working with just people for the rest of my life or if I'd have a more rewarding experience with animals.

Fluffy the Dog and Misty the Cat don't come into the vet clinic on their own... neither does the herd of cattle, the horse, the chickens, the pigs, etc, etc...

You will 100% be working with and dealing with people in vet med.

IN answer to your question: Yes you can.

Too many naysayers here.

Just don't apply to the same schools in both (if the schools care). You have no obligation to discuss your other career options when you apply.
Nothing wrong with having options. You will have different PS for each, take a different exam, different LORs.

As long as you are ok with the duplicate work...... go for it.

I really disagree with most of the posters here. Once you get into both types of schools you can make your final decision, but until then... you are fine to proceed. There is nothing legally, morally, or practically wrong with doing so!

Reactions: 3 users
Personally,I would stick to med school for now, even if humans are kind of gross :). It's usually a longer educational commitment with internships/externships vs. veterinary school but in the end the pay is so much better that it could be worth it if you're not dead set on being a veterinarian. Also, there are a few people crazy enough to get both a MD and a DVM so it's not like one schooling option really disappears from the table.

As a third option: Have you considered getting a master's in some interdisciplinary medical science field first? That would keep you moving forward academically while allowing you more time to explore each occupation.

If you're on the fence about either profession, try to see if there is a sector of either that will get you a taste of both world in your every day work. If you just like working around animals, perhaps using your MD in a research setting might be good for you (if you like research). There's research done on anything from mice to primates. Using your DVM for research could also be fulfilling as well, as you could have a hand in human medicine that way too (depending on your research, of course). There are definitely better people to ask about research on here, though. This still also requires you to decide at some point.

Getting enough experience in both fields to make a decision, but while still trying to be an attractive applicant to both fields, will be hard! Very time consuming, for sure. In the veterinary world, 500 hours seems to be the unspoken minimum (sometimes it is spoken, though). 1000 hours seems to make a competitive applicant (while still having a variety of experience types). I watched my best friend apply to med school. While I wasn't doing it myself, it seems a tad less experience-based and more grades/test scores/etc. based when compared to veterinary schools. The med-school first years I know have 0 patient contact hours (they shadowed here and there, though). Applying to vet school with 0 patient contact hours is unheard of. However, veterinary shadowing typically allows you do be involved in more when compared to human medicine shadowing (darn HIPAA).

I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with basically keeping an open mind to either profession. You clearly have an interest in medicine. You just have to decide/find where your passion is. Not to make anyone sound like a victim of their own choice, but like mentioned, vet med definitely faces some challenges that human medicine simply doesn't. There is also no box to check on either application asking if you "are also applying to other professional programs." They don't need to know. In my opinion, though, your personal statement for either profession will lack passion/interest if you cannot find a reason to commit to either program. You'll likely take a hit there. Plus, applying to both types of programs at once will cost you a pretty penny. Besides application fees, there's the MCAT + GRE and travel fees should you be interviewed. I don't know how expensive med school apps are (I do know that most applicants I've known seem to apply to quite a lot at once, though), but my 5 vet school apps last year ran me around $900 last year. I was sad.

Like DVMD said, you will definitely work with people in vet med. I don't think you meant that to come off as "I don't want to work with people," but more of a "I'd like to have animals in my work day, not just people." I think you should get into a small animal practice and get a taste of it. You might be surprised how much you like it, or the opposite. However, small animal isn't the only thing that's out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
Fluffy the Dog and Misty the Cat don't come into the vet clinic on their own... neither does the herd of cattle, the horse, the chickens, the pigs, etc, etc...

You will 100% be working with and dealing with people in vet med.

I COMPLETELY understand that 1000%. Didn't mean to come across in the way in which I meant that I wanted to avoid humans....just that I've been thinking that just having human patients for the rest of my life might not be as "interesting" or "diverse" as it would be with animals. If anything, I think vet med has more to do with humans in some respects, which makes a whole new dimension of vet med that regular human med simply doesn't. I like that aspect of the challenge.

Too many naysayers here.

Just don't apply to the same schools in both (if the schools care). You have no obligation to discuss your other career options when you apply.
Nothing wrong with having options. You will have different PS for each, take a different exam, different LORs.

I really disagree with most of the posters here. Once you get into both types of schools you can make your final decision, but until then... you are fine to proceed. There is nothing legally, morally, or practically wrong with doing so!

Hahaha, thanks for the optimism. I didn't really think of the fees that'd come up with both, actually, so thanks for mentioning that.
I am looking into getting involved with some research with one of the undergraduate professors at my school, most likely in Chemistry, so I can get a taste for research...but honestly, I think I'd be happiest having patient contact...not being in a lab. Who knows though. :) Thanks for helping me keep an open mind but for giving me solid evidence for the drawbacks in doing both.

Also, it's not that I've NOT been exposed to animals. I'm an equestrian, and rode for my college's equestrian team before I sustained an injury, so I guess I have that to give in a vet school app as well as a med school one. Furthermore, my close buddy is an emergency vet and I enjoy hearing what she endures during her overnight shifts, as compared to my overnight shifts as an EMT. I think that's a big factor in what made me re-analyze my plans for med school.

I'm currently a junior with a major in biochemistry, and a minor in sociology.
As a kid I always wanted to be a vet, but started leaning more towards med school throughout high school and up until now through college. Currently, I'm a volunteer EMT, and am the substitute health director for a kid's camp over the summer.
However, I've been becoming more and more interested in vet school. I'm practically standing at a crossroads now. Do I start volunteer work at an animal hospital now just in case? (Don't know how I'll have the time but i guess I should figure that out). I know that you need a letter of recommendation from a vet that you did clinical work with (if I understand that correctly).

Even though I'm a junior, I'm planning to stay at least an extra semester. Have yet to take biochemistry, which I'm taking this fall, so I'll take the MCAT earliest at the end of this year if I can. I see that Cornell Vet DOES take the MCAT, so I don't think I have to worry about taking the GRE ontop of that....ugh.

Anyone have experience applying to both?

It would not be "in case". Most if not all vet schools require at LEAST a few hundred hours of clinical shadowing or volunteering. Competitive applicatants often have 500-1000 hours. You need to be exposed to the field before making any sort of decision. Right now you have no veterinary experience whatsoever. That comes before applying.

Are you aware of the current financial state of veterinary medicine? The average graduate has $150,000 in debt and starting salaries are generally 50-60k. Yes, you heard me right. In terms of jobs, the market is becoming more and more saturated due to increases in class sizes. It's not a good field to go into right now unless you really love it to death and cannot see yourself doing anything else.

I would think very, VERY hard about this. Not being a naysayer, just being honest.

Last edited:
Obligatory "if you think you would be happy, go with human med" post.

If you enjoy what you do, making WAY more money doing it is always the better route imo. That's just my personal take on these med vs vet med debates.

Also, it's not that I've NOT been exposed to animals. I'm an equestrian, and rode for my college's equestrian team before I sustained an injury, so I guess I have that to give in a vet school app as well as a med school one. Furthermore, my close buddy is an emergency vet and I enjoy hearing what she endures during her overnight shifts, as compared to my overnight shifts as an EMT. I think that's a big factor in what made me re-analyze my plans for med school.

I have ridden/owned horses for 15+ years and was the president of my school's equestrian team for 3 years. Did that even make a dent in my vet or animal hours? No. Did it matter to admissions? Maybe, because of the leadership role. If that's the only animal exposure you have, I would SERIOUSLY consider applying to shadow an animal hospital.
And hearing someone say "oh I love being an emergency vet vs. an EMT!" is different than shadowing in emergency. I've done it and hate it. Too much money communication and I hate seeing dogs get euthanized due to cost. Not to mention it's stressful.

Not trying to be a debbie-downer, but a pessimist is a realist with experience.

Thanks guys. All are great points, especially the financial aspect of it. On that level it seems that med school definitely would be the better option.

It's hard to really decide. I love animals...but I think I love them too much to become a vet, you know? Now that I think more about it I don't think that I'd be able to "separate" my emotional self from my professional self as a vet as well as I currently do as an EMT...i.e., being able to witness a horrific car accident and provide treatment to a human. If it were a dog hit by a car, I don't know if I'd be able to really do that as well.

That's not to say that you guys don't love animals...you probably do even more than me, but you're able to be a professional when the hard times hit. I really appreciate your post too, k80rigs. Very very good points. Thank you.

Too many naysayers here.

You should spend time in pre-allo, the adcoms that post over there make it quite clear that they want to see you are dedicated to medicine, as in human med. And you might think you can pass it off in an interview but they can tell. They aren't dumb, they'll ask about the vet EC's and then you either have to lie or tell the truth.

You should spend time in pre-allo, the adcoms that post over there make it quite clear that they want to see you are dedicated to medicine, as in human med. And you might think you can pass it off in an interview but they can tell. They aren't dumb, they'll ask about the vet EC's and then you either have to lie or tell the truth.
i don't know what a vet EC is, but I am pretty sure you aren't obligated to tell about every experience in your life.
And anyone who can't demonstrate their dedication isn't worth their salt.

OT: Are you really suggesting I, among all people, couldn't "pass it off in an interview"? How little you know me after all this time. (unless of course you meant the generic "you").

i don't know what a vet EC is, but I am pretty sure you aren't obligated to tell about every experience in your life.
And anyone who can't demonstrate their dedication isn't worth their salt.

OT: Are you really suggesting I, among all people, couldn't "pass it off in an interview"? How little you know me after all this time. (unless of course you meant the generic "you").

I meant generic you.

like everyone else said, experience is crucial, but i think listening to what your heart and mind are telling you. many, many of us are in such a rush to get into professional school so that we can get going with the rest of our lives, but theres no harm in taking some time to really figure it out. i wanted to go to vet school and be a veterinarian for at least a dozen years prior to starting. I had thousands of hours just like everyone else and was well qualified. now i'm in 4th year, and sometimes i think "what did i do to myself?? what did i get myself into? i wish some days that i could just walk away and have a normal life." if you have any doubts, take the time to figure out what you want in life, because both the medical and the veterinary fields (and other health fields) are exhausting, as i'm sure you are well aware of from your time as an EMT. i had a college advisor who used to ask students what they had done to challenge the idea that they wanted to go to medical school. the first time i ever heard that, i knew that vet school was where i wanted to be, because i had challenged my dreams with ideas of marine biology, criminology, and medicine, and always ended up at vet med's door step. now i just hope that i can eventually find a job that will allow me to enjoy good quality personal and professional lives.

also, i caution anyone from using the "i've wanted to be a vet since i was a kid" line as a reason/justification to themselves. our perceptions as children are vastly different from what they are as adults :) i think thats part of why adcoms roll their eyes at statements that include wanting to be x since they popped out of the womb. did i want to be a vet as a kid? yes - but it was because i liked animals, and people told me if i like animals that i should be a vet. in reality, i wanted to be a vet as a teen/adult because i like medicine, the challenge of the diagnostic puzzle, working with animals, and working with people (but not "sick" people"). people dont tend to become firefighters as adults because they wanted to when they were 5, dont go to med school or vet school because thats what you wanted to do growing up :)

Last edited:
It's hard to really decide. I love animals...but I think I love them too much to become a vet, you know? Now that I think more about it I don't think that I'd be able to "separate" my emotional self from my professional self as a vet as well as I currently do as an EMT...i.e., being able to witness a horrific car accident and provide treatment to a human. If it were a dog hit by a car, I don't know if I'd be able to really do that as well.

Fortunately, you can still love animals and not be a vet :) If you become a physician, you can still be involved with animals - continue to ride, foster a dog, volunteer at the zoo, etc. Of course medicine is a demanding career on either side of the coin, but you always make time for what you love, and if that's animals, it's totally feasible to still be involved with them outside of vet med.

Reactions: 1 users
My current advice to people when they ask about pursuing vet med is... don't.

Fortunately, you can still love animals and not be a vet :) If you become a physician, you can still be involved with animals - continue to ride, foster a dog, volunteer at the zoo, etc. Of course medicine is a demanding career on either side of the coin, but you always make time for what you love, and if that's animals, it's totally feasible to still be involved with them outside of vet med.

Definitely. You can have passions outside of your career. In fact, you SHOULD have passions outside of your career.

This is a topic I've thought about a lot. I started out on the human-med track and I even went to med school for 2 years. They were 2 of the most miserable years of my life but looking back, they really helped shape me into who I am now. It's been almost 3 years since I left med school and I'm in the process of applying to vet school right now. I keep getting the question in interviews why vet med? The more I talk about why vet med and not human med, the more sure I am that it's the right decision for me. I'm not saying you should do vet med and forget human med - it's a personal decision. What was right for me might not be right for you but I would be more than happy to talk a little more about it with you either here or in a PM. I wish you the best of luck with whichever decision you make. It is certainly a difficult and personal decision.

I think that what has been posted on here so far is really good advice (seriously SDN members are pretty great), and I think you've got a lot of different perspectives on here that will really help. You're a junior so in reality, you've got some time. And with such a weighty decision, don't feel like you have to make it this second. Even though I applied this cycle, lots of my friends are waiting to apply to grad schools because they just really wanted/ needed a year off, so if you don't apply to either med or vet school right away, don't worry. Adcoms will see that you took the time to formulate a plan and execute it. It's hard to remember when you're in a premed/prevet world as an undergrad that most people don't stick with the same life plan they had at age 8. I think you're doing the right thing by asking questions, gaining advice and a different perspective, and really thinking about it rather than just stuffing these questions under the rug. And don't hesitate to ask members of either profession the tough questions (ie what's your least favorite part of this job, if you had it to do over again would you pick the same route,etc.), these questions have been eye opening for me. If I were you, I'd shadow different types of physicians (which I know HIPAA makes difficult) and vets like others have suggested and at the end of each day, ask yourself if you could see yourself doing that profession 60 years from now. I have friends that have switched both to and from prevet and premed so you're not alone. Even if it takes you longer than you thought originally, it will be time well spent because you will hopefully be happy about it in the future. Don't feel alone in this, I'm pretty sure most people, regardless of their career, question themselves about it at least once. Good luck!

Don't feel alone in this, I'm pretty sure most people, regardless of their career, question themselves about it at least once.
Truth. I'm not going to lie and say I don't question myself about this. Don't get me wrong, I'm confident that vet med is right for me. It's just the financial aspect of it all that makes me want to turn away. I've talked to some people outside of the vet med circle about that and they assume it's just a lack of dedication, but it's just reality. Very few professions face such a mind-blowing debt:salary ratio.

I want to be able to travel with my boyfriend. I want to be able to afford the nice cosmetics (lol....:kiss:). I don't want my future husband to be saddled with my debt. Most importantly, I do not want to have that nagging "I wouldn't be paying $___ monthly if I ran away while I still could." Yet, it all still manages to make me happy, challenge me, thrill me, and more. Only time and and real experience can help you at this point.

You'll need to get a full time summer job, to get the hours needed to apply (volunteer is okay too, but working in the right situation with a vet that supports your goal of being a vet can be really rewarding). When you have those hours, I think you'll find, you can answer your question much easier.

Best wishes! Both careers are rewarding and challenging in different ways. And sometimes on this board (and in real life) the grass is always greener on the other side, so don't be afraid to make your own decisions. If you want to apply to both programs after different schools, go for it. It might give you an interesting story to tell future students that pass your way when you're a DVM/MD.

Chiming in against the pack:

Yeah, I've met at least one applicant on my interview circuit who applied to MD and DVM programs. Since she got interviews, she's obviously competitive for both, so that's within the realm of possibility. Furthermore, she gets to go on school tours and meet current students throughout her interviews, which will help her decide if she gets into both types of programs.

If you find yourself indecisive after racking up your 500 vet hours (although if you have amazing academics, you CAN get in with fewer -- see the successful applicants threads), you can totally apply to both programs. You can have a cohesive, compelling story (without lying) for each program if you're smart about it. You can also omit experiences from either application without running into trouble, but again, a good cohesive story won't require omissions.

But it'll make your life soooo much easier, and your application that much more competitive, if you decide now.