Am I aiming too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theclem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been narrowing down the schools I'm applying to this cycle (I've only done Cali schools in the past, stupidly... and that obviously didn't pan out too well). I'd love input on my school choices so far (if you see any red flags, if I don't have enough research for a certain school, if I should watch out for inflated tuition.)

I'm also concerned about living - I would prefer being in a city, or at least a school with access to a big city.

In this mix I have basically selected some "safeties" (I know that is practically non-existent in medical schools), a majority that I consider "in-range," and some that are reaches.

My stats:
cGPA 3.73
sGPA 3.75
MCAT 33Q
- CA resident, non-minority
- worked part-time (10 hrs/wk) at a clinic for schizophrenia for 3 years with some patient contact (~35 hours)
- researched schizophrenia neuroimaging lab for 2 years, tracing brain scans (helped train others after) (~4 hrs/wk)
- researched at an obesity/gastric bypass research center for 1 year (currently there), working on some publications (in submission, not approved yet) (~15 hrs/wk)
- grad school (master's) at Ivy League, GPA 3.8, although I've heard schools don't care about that
- volunteer: hepatitis C screenings at health fairs for 1 year (~once a month)
- volunteer: went abroad for missions in China, Taiwan, and Mexico (few summers)
- I've also volunteered at church for over 10 years now
- shadowing: ~20 hours so far, currently doing more now (aiming for 50 by the time app is due)
- random: started my own a cappella group in college

Albert Einstein
Boston
Cornell
Drexel
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Loma Linda
Loyola Stritch
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Rush
Temple
Tufts
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
U Miami
USC Keck

Is my list too top-heavy? If so, what are some other recommendations for me? I'm also considering Jefferson, Tulane, U of Iowa, U of Rochester, Wake Forest, but (1) for those last 4 I'm not too familiar with the location and (2) I am somewhat limited on funds.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I've been narrowing down the schools I'm applying to this cycle (I've only done Cali schools in the past, stupidly... and that obviously didn't pan out too well). I'd love input on my school choices so far (if you see any red flags, if I don't have enough research for a certain school, if I should watch out for inflated tuition.)

I'm also concerned about living - I would prefer being in a city, or at least a school with access to a big city.

In this mix I have basically selected some "safeties" (I know that is practically non-existent in medical schools), a majority that I consider "in-range," and some that are reaches.

My stats:
cGPA 3.73
sGPA 3.75
MCAT 33Q
- worked part-time (10 hrs/wk) at a clinic for schizophrenia for 3 years with some patient contact (~35 hours)
- researched schizophrenia neuroimaging lab for 2 years, tracing brain scans (helped train others after) (~4 hrs/wk)
- researched at an obesity/gastric bypass research center for 1 year (currently there), working on some publications (in submission, not approved yet) (~15 hrs/wk)
- grad school (master's) GPA 3.8, although I've heard schools don't care about that
- volunteer: went abroad for missions in China, Taiwan, and Mexico (few summers)
- shadowing: minimal, setting some up now but am unsure if it will be in time for application; I've only done dental shadowing thus far

Albert Einstein
Boston
Cornell
Drexel
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Loma Linda
Loyola Stritch
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Rush
Temple
Tufts
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
U Miami
USC Keck

Is my list too top-heavy? If so, what are some other recommendations for me? I'm also considering Jefferson, Tulane, U of Iowa, U of Rochester, Wake Forest, but (1) for those last 4 I'm not too familiar with the location and (2) I am somewhat limited on funds.

Thanks in advance!

Your list is kind of top heavy, and most of your safeties are the ones that get 10,000 apps a year because they're everyone's safeties. From what I understand, Loma Linda's not really in a city, and you should be comfortable with the school's lifestyle contract before applying. I definitely agree about the SUNYs, and I would also suggest some other state schools like Ohio State, Cincinnati, Penn State (not in a major city though), Arizona (accepting up to 50% OOS next cycle, apparently) and Louisville.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Your list isn't top heavy for your stats, but you'd greatly improve your chance of acceptance with shadowing and a unique non-clinical volunteer role or quirky hobby you've dedicated yourself to.

When you say "quirky hobby," are you referring to a medical or non-medical one? If it's the latter, I'm a singer/songwriter and I'm putting out an EP on iTunes this summer... if that even counts or if med schools even care...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the helpful tips!

When you say "quirky hobby," are you referring to a medical or non-medical one? If it's the latter, I'm a singer/songwriter and I'm putting out an EP on iTunes this summer... if that even counts or if med schools even care...

I would definitely include that in your app -- it shows balance and adds something that makes you a little different. I've seen it suggested on SDN that you include a URL in your AMCAS to where Adcoms can check out your work if they want.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the deal with the SUNY schools? I have similar (almost exactly the same) stats and applied to a list similar to the OPs but didn't get in anywhere (too top heavy for me, also complete in Sept, big mistake) but are these schools especially nice to out of state (from boston or i guess cali like the OP) despite having a certain level of instate bias?

Thought of another question I had - are shadowing and clinical experienced viewed differently? I guess what I'm really asking is: if I had clinical experience for 3 years, would that be sufficient in taking the place of shadowing (which I see as less interactive anyway)?

Also - what is the best way to find out about a city or a town if I don't have friends who live there? For example, I have no idea how Rochester is like and whether or not I would like it...

Thought of another question I had - are shadowing and clinical experienced viewed differently? I guess what I'm really asking is: if I had clinical experience for 3 years, would that be sufficient in taking the place of shadowing (which I see as less interactive anyway)?

Also - what is the best way to find out about a city or a town if I don't have friends who live there? For example, I have no idea how Rochester is like and whether or not I would like it...

They aren't the same thing. Just because you've spent a lot of time with patients doesn't mean you know what the day-to-day activities of a physician are like. As to how they are seen by Adcoms, I'll leave that to the actual Adcoms.

Wikipedia, Wikitravel, CityData forums, etc. Any school you're going to get into you'll visit at least briefly for interviews, and the reality is that you may end up going to school somewhere you don't know much about and maybe don't like that much, but unless you would rather not be a doctor than live in Rochester, that's something to figure out later.

My stats:
cGPA 3.73
sGPA 3.75
MCAT 33Q
- grad school (master's) GPA 3.8, although I've heard schools don't care about that
- shadowing: minimal, setting some up now but am unsure if it will be in time for application; I've only done dental shadowing thus far

Albert Einstein
Boston
Cornell
Drexel
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Loma Linda
Loyola Stritch
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Rush
Temple
Tufts
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
U Miami
USC Keck

Thanks in advance!

Fairly top-heavy. Your numbers are, frankly, fairly "average" for a matriculant (they are great, but still "average"). Try for a better balance with some safeties that are less over-applied-for. For instance, maybe apply to Arizona, Creighton, SLU, etc.

Update! I've been approved for FAP so I can apply to more schools than I initially thought. I'd love any comments to help whittle down my list - I'm looking to eliminate about 5-10 more schools. :)

I think I have a great chance
Creighton
Drexel
George Washington
Loma Linda
Rush
Tulane
VCU

I think I have a shot
Albert Einstein
BU
Brown