Am I allowed to talk to myself when taking the exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollywood Mike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I've consistently improved my score on practice exams by simply whispering my own thoughts to myself. To go a step further, I even go as far as developing a second personality to bounce ideas off of. It is much more difficult to make mistakes when I have a second persona checking the work of my first persona. Believe me, I know how ridiculous this sounds, but it has been working. Right after content review, I was low thirties on my practice tests. I've made the jump to mid/high thirties when I adopted this strategy. Anyway, my overlying question is: Will I be allowed to talk at a whispering level under my breath during the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Funny you brought this up. I was taking an exam today (summer class) and wanted to swap the dude next to me who was literally mouthing every word to every question. It's incredibly distracting, and if by some chance they do allow it which is highly unlikely, ...it's extremely inconsiderate to other test takers.

Reactions: 2 users
They might think you're talking to someone else. Don't chance it. Plus studies have shown that reading aloud and talking to yourself can slow you down.

And remember that there is a camera for very single examinee, it's literally in your face, and there is someone watching it live lol you are running a big risk doing that

Psft, I talked to myself on the GRE and MCAT. It's very quiet, no one can hear me, plus they always have a huge fan running in the room. If it works for him, he should do it, just be quiet about it.

Believe it or not, I've consistently improved my score on practice exams by simply whispering my own thoughts to myself. To go a step further, I even go as far as developing a second personality to bounce ideas off of. It is much more difficult to make mistakes when I have a second persona checking the work of my first persona. Believe me, I know how ridiculous this sounds, but it has been working. Right after content review, I was low thirties on my practice tests. I've made the jump to mid/high thirties when I adopted this strategy. Anyway, my overlying question is: Will I be allowed to talk at a whispering level under my breath during the exam?
Dude, if two personas are working for ya, then give three a shot. Might I suggest a Sean Connery type character for the third persona. Research has shown that people who use multiple personas while taking the MCAT have the most success if the third persona is of Scottish ethnicity. The second most successful ethnicity after Scottish is Jamaican due to their ability to make successful Disney movies about bobsledding.

The journal article I mentioned above can be found at www.ifyouarelookingatthisyouaredumb.com

Dude, if two personas are working for ya, then give three a shot. Might I suggest a Sean Connery type character for the third persona. Research has shown that people who use multiple personas while taking the MCAT have the most success if the third persona is of Scottish ethnicity. The second most successful ethnicity after Scottish is Jamaican due to their ability to make successful Disney movies about bobsledding.

The journal article I mentioned above can be found at www.ifyouarelookingatthisyouaredumb.com

You made my day man :)))) hahaha