Am I allowed to upload a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to also apply for a backup specialty and the process of getting letters has been the hardest part.

I managed to get a previous preceptor to provide the last letter I need but he is so old school and SO BAD at computers, he doesn't even have an email, let alone a AAMC account.

Since he can designate other people to upload that letter, am I able to do it? I will not be waiving my right to see the letter.

I know the secretary can do it but shes terrible at this too. I dont think there's even a computer in the entire office.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it's gonna be a crappy letter even if you can figure out how to make sure he uploaded it properly....written by hand I am presuming (since you said he doesn't have a computer)....get a letter from someone else.

Yes, yes you are.

Have him give you the letter and you upload it under his name (with his blessing of course). That way you can read the letter and still waive your right to see it through ERAS. Just because you waived your right to read it doesn't mean you HAVEN'T read it. That waiver thing is the biggest load of crap ever. After not matching the first time, I talked to a bunch of successful applicants who did this and they talked about it like it was a foregone conclusion that you read LORs before uploading them. Always. I felt like such a chump when I heard this. Believe me, I wasn't so naive the second time around.

Last edited:
Honestly call NRMP and see what options you have, you may be able to send in a letter in an envelope with his signature across the back ensuring confidentiality. Actually, this is how SF Match does it (which is obnoxious but how this was done prior to online submission).

Second make sure this letter is worth your time - either by discussing with the writer or maybe reading it yourself if you prefer. I'm not sure what kind of office this is that doesn't have a functional email in 2016, but be sure this is worth your time. I honestly have not read my letters, but I took great care to choose individuals who would write good and thoughtful insight into my work ethic and personality.

Do not call the NRMP. This is an ERAS issue.

Technically the answer is no. You are not supposed to upload your own letters. But no one can tell if you do it, simply create an account in the LORP (not with your name, of course) and you'll be able to upload the letter.

Yes, yes you are.

Have him give you the letter and you upload it under his name (with his blessing of course). That way you can read the letter and still waive your right to see it through ERAS. Just because you waived your right to read it doesn't mean you HAVEN'T read it. That waiver thing is the biggest load of crap ever. After not matching the first time, I talked to a bunch of successful applicants who did this and they talked about it like it was a foregone conclusion that you read LORs before uploading them. Always. I felt like such a chump when I heard this. Believe me, I wasn't so naive the second time around.
If you waive your right to see it, that means you can't force your writer to show you.

They still have the right to share the contents of the letter (... or even the whole letter) with you. You have no *right* to see it in this situation, but you can get the privilege.

Reactions: 1 user