Am I being dumb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlilly

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm applying this year and I want to know if applying to the following schools is enough. I'm in USC's BacMD program so I have a spot at keck but I'm hoping for some other options:

Stats:
GPA: 3.9 science
Overall: 3.9
MCAT 33Q
EC: a publication pending, numerous scholarships, and your typical stuff like shawdowing, etc.

schools I'm planning on applying to:

Stanford-MD
Northwestern-MD
Mayo-MD
USC-MD/PhD
Duke-MD/PhD
Johns Hopkins-MD/PhD
UCSD-MD/PhD

Do i need more???? Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You have good stats but you are applying to tough schools, I would add some "safeties" just to be safe.

You definitely need more. Your MCAT is well below the average of accepted applicants at all of those schools, let alone MD/PhD candidates. Apply much more broadly and to less selective schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanks. What middle tiered schools would you suggest...I'm not sure what are middle tiered schools and I guess I forgot to mention, i'm applying to my state school just in case. Though, i figured if all else fail, I'll just go to Keck.

Wait a minute. I think you're saying that you're guaranteed a spot at Keck, right? If that's the case, then just shoot for the schools that you have on your list. Not getting in to any of them and having to go to Keck isn't a bad choice. Save your dough because you already have a spot.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. I think you're saying that you're guaranteed a spot at Keck, right? If that's the case, then just shoot for the schools that you have on your list.
Oh, man, that's what I get for skipping the text in favor of the stats. If you already have a spot (at an incredible school) guaranteed, I see no reason not to apply to dream schools. Screw all the rest. Will you have to apply to Keck's MD/PhD program, or is that guaranteed, too, should you choose to pursue it/

Oh...ok. I think I'll just go with what I have then because fortunately, i do have a spot at keck....not their MD/PhD program however so i'm still applying. I really do appreciate all the feedback. Good luck to you guys.