Am I being selfish and lazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nguyenkimphat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I have just recently been accepted into dental school, and will start in August, 2014.

I have been feeling a little worried that I might not be doing God’s will in my life. I feel that I might have chosen dentistry out of laziness or selfishness.

I want to list the reasons why I chose dentistry and ask if you think that I am being lazy or selfish in my motivation to become a dentist.

1. ~My grades in college were not high enough for entry into medical school, and getting accepted into dental school was a little easier than getting accepted into medical school. So I decided to change my career path from becoming a doctor to becoming a dentist.
  2. ~The lifestyle of a dentist is much easier than the lifestyle of a doctor. Dentist work a normal 9am to 5pm job. Doctors can sometimes work 38 hour shifts and not get to go home at night, especially when they are “on call.”
  3. ~If a doctor does something wrong, the patient will die. The stress of being a doctor is much heavier than the stress of being a dentist.
  4. ~After graduating from four years of dental school, I can begin working immediately as a dentist. However, after someone graduates from medical school, they cannot begin working as a doctor. Only after an additional four years of residency and possibly 1 – 3 years of fellowship can that person begin working as a doctor. This means that the person has to do extremely well within medical school in order to get accepted into a competitive residency such as radiology or dermatology or surgery.
  5. ~I love the fact that dentists are still considered “doctors” but don’t have the work hours or stress of a medical doctor. I come from a family where we value honor/prestige very much, and becoming a “Doctor of Dental Surgery” will bring great honor to my parents.
  6. ~Even if I do badly or mediocre in dental school, I will still be able to become a general dentist, which is great! But if I do badly in medical school, then I will not be able to apply into a competitive residency such as radiology or dermatology. The pressure for medical students to match into a good residency program is something that I do not want to go through. I don’t want to go to medical school and fear the possibility of getting rejected from a residency program. I don’t want to constantly be afraid of doing badly in school.
  7. ~Most importantly, the reason why I chose dentistry is because of the comfortable life style. Working 9am to 5pm? What more can I ask for? That’s the perfect life. I could have the rest of the day or the entire weekend just to rest and relax and pray.

But the thing that I worry about is being lazy. Do you think that my desire to become a dentist because of the easy “9am-5pm” work life is lazy? I feel so selfish saying this. But it has been my dream to become a dentist ever since I was in junior high, and I have been working really hard – just so that I can live a comfortable lifestyle and be able to rest when I get home. Is that such a bad thing?

In my mind, the life style of dentist (9am-5pm) seems so perfect and wonderful – it is my dream to live that life. Am I settling for a really lazy life?

Am I settling for a really comfortable life? Is it a bad thing to want to live a comfortable life? Am I being lazy?

I work so hard in school, and now, I just want to rest and get out of all that drama and stress. I’m so tired, and I am only 22 years old. Is that being lazy?

Sometimes I watch the news, and I see poor children in other parts of the world who are dying of starvation and cancer and disease – and I feel so horrible because I know that after graduating dental school, I will have a really easy, comfortable life. I feel guilty because everything in my life right now is going so perfectly. My dream finally came true! I finally got accepted into my top-choice dental school! But I feel so guilty.

I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

laziness is wanting a 9-5 career, decent pay, and relatively low stress?

Don't you think you shoulda asked these questions BEFORE applying to dental school?

Reactions: 1 user
Important thing is, what do YOU want?

Your situation is more of a philosophical question.
I totally get where youre coming from. I come from an asian household (completely assuming here from your s/n).

It seems like your problem mainly stems from wanting to satisfy your family, doing what THEY think it's best for you. And it appears that you have gone into this, and most likely med school if you had the grades, blindly. Really think about what you are getting yourself into, that's why alot of people drop out of these professional programs. When they start getting into what the job is really about, the erratic work hours for physicians and daily grind, they then realize this is not for them.

Think about what you feel is more important? Your family's approval or your happiness?

It also seems like youre way stressed out and it's only going to get harder from here. If this is your limit, it is not selfish AT ALL that you have given your best. Even after you become a dentist you can still can donate your time and skill to the less fortunate in other countries through mission trips.

PS you wouldn't be curing cancer as a physician (unless MD/PhD) and you'd have no control over starving children in other countries as a physician, it's up to their country to get their **** together.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have just recently been accepted into dental school, and will start in August, 2014.

I have been feeling a little worried that I might not be doing God’s will in my life. I feel that I might have chosen dentistry out of laziness or selfishness.

I want to list the reasons why I chose dentistry and ask if you think that I am being lazy or selfish in my motivation to become a dentist.

1. ~My grades in college were not high enough for entry into medical school, and getting accepted into dental school was a little easier than getting accepted into medical school. So I decided to change my career path from becoming a doctor to becoming a dentist.
  2. ~The lifestyle of a dentist is much easier than the lifestyle of a doctor. Dentist work a normal 9am to 5pm job. Doctors can sometimes work 38 hour shifts and not get to go home at night, especially when they are “on call.”
  3. ~If a doctor does something wrong, the patient will die. The stress of being a doctor is much heavier than the stress of being a dentist.
  4. ~After graduating from four years of dental school, I can begin working immediately as a dentist. However, after someone graduates from medical school, they cannot begin working as a doctor. Only after an additional four years of residency and possibly 1 – 3 years of fellowship can that person begin working as a doctor. This means that the person has to do extremely well within medical school in order to get accepted into a competitive residency such as radiology or dermatology or surgery.
  5. ~I love the fact that dentists are still considered “doctors” but don’t have the work hours or stress of a medical doctor. I come from a family where we value honor/prestige very much, and becoming a “Doctor of Dental Surgery” will bring great honor to my parents.
  6. ~Even if I do badly or mediocre in dental school, I will still be able to become a general dentist, which is great! But if I do badly in medical school, then I will not be able to apply into a competitive residency such as radiology or dermatology. The pressure for medical students to match into a good residency program is something that I do not want to go through. I don’t want to go to medical school and fear the possibility of getting rejected from a residency program. I don’t want to constantly be afraid of doing badly in school.
  7. ~Most importantly, the reason why I chose dentistry is because of the comfortable life style. Working 9am to 5pm? What more can I ask for? That’s the perfect life. I could have the rest of the day or the entire weekend just to rest and relax and pray.

But the thing that I worry about is being lazy. Do you think that my desire to become a dentist because of the easy “9am-5pm” work life is lazy? I feel so selfish saying this. But it has been my dream to become a dentist ever since I was in junior high, and I have been working really hard – just so that I can live a comfortable lifestyle and be able to rest when I get home. Is that such a bad thing?

In my mind, the life style of dentist (9am-5pm) seems so perfect and wonderful – it is my dream to live that life. Am I settling for a really lazy life?

Am I settling for a really comfortable life? Is it a bad thing to want to live a comfortable life? Am I being lazy?

I work so hard in school, and now, I just want to rest and get out of all that drama and stress. I’m so tired, and I am only 22 years old. Is that being lazy?

Sometimes I watch the news, and I see poor children in other parts of the world who are dying of starvation and cancer and disease – and I feel so horrible because I know that after graduating dental school, I will have a really easy, comfortable life. I feel guilty because everything in my life right now is going so perfectly. My dream finally came true! I finally got accepted into my top-choice dental school! But I feel so guilty.

I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

Go repent at your church/temple/or mosque.

Other than that, I don't understand your worries.

Don't worry things aren't as rosy for dentists and the work hours will no longer be "really easy" and "comfortable" as was in the past.

Also, why not do work in your outside free time that you will be getting, to help other?? Nothing stops you from that. If you taught disadvantaged youth in your city the skills needed to get into those STEM careers, you could be helping these people out in a tremendous way towards getting a much better livelihood for themselves.

Don't let what you cannot do, interfere with what you can do.

Basically, my question is .... I want to become a dentist because the lifestyle (work hours) is really easy and comfortable. Is it selfish/lazy for me to want to live a comfortable life? So many other people are suffering in the world and dying of starvation... and I feel guilty that I get to be happy as a dentist. I feel like I don't deserve the life of a dentist.
Much of the time (save for children, battered women, etc), people's suffering is largely their own fault. It is also true that people are born with a better shot to be successful than others. However, it is great to be compassionate to those who are less fortunate and/or have fallen on hard times. Do not feel guilty, OP, you have worked very hard to get where you're at - you absolutely deserve it. The life of a dentist is pretty nice, but that's one of the reasons it is so difficult to become one. Dentists provide wonderful services to people and function as means to promote overall health of the individuals within their patient base, just like a physician. As a dentist you can volunteer your time to free clinics, you can take trips to foreign countries, you can donate money to charities you deem worthy. As a healthcare professional, it is your job to use your special skill set to help reduce suffering, or to help prevent suffering. If this is not noble work, I'm not sure what is.

i cant believe that i got accepted into dental school. i am so happy and thankful and relieved. i want to grow up to be a good person - to live a life that is truly beautiful - i want to do something good for society, for my family, and for my Church. i really want to give my everything to God.

You've worked incredibly hard to put yourself in a position where you have the ability to spend your life as you want to. You are self-aware and know what you want in life. There's nothing shameful in that.

I made the conscious decision to pursue dentistry instead of medicine. It wasn't because I didn't think I could get into med school, and I could have been happy as an MD--just not as happy as I'll be as a DDS! I just knew what I wanted in life, and dentistry was a better fit for that. I wanted to work in healthcare and use my talents to help others, but I also wanted free time to spend with my family and to participate in other interests. I didn't want the stress of working crazy hours or having to deal with life-or-death situations. I also wanted to make enough money to provide a nice lifestyle of my family. I'll be frank-- I don't want to ever have to worry about money. I also want to ultimately be my own boss, and I am excited about the challenges that owning my own practice will bring.

It hasn't been an easy path to get here. There's no reason you don't deserve the lifestyle you've worked towards. You can always use your free time (and the money you make!) to give back to those around you and share your blessings.

Reactions: 8 users
Basically, my question is .... I want to become a dentist because the lifestyle (work hours) is really easy and comfortable. Is it selfish/lazy for me to want to live a comfortable life? So many other people are suffering in the world and dying of starvation... and I feel guilty that I get to be happy as a dentist. I feel like I don't deserve the life of a dentist.

My friend, the life style of a dentist, is different for every dentist, unless you own your own practice.

Selfish and laziness is a characteristic which you have labeled yourself.

This seems to be a portion in your life where you are maturing and realizing more about life.

You deserve what you earned.

Everybody in this world wants to be comfortable..... Who likes to sleep on rocks?

Go talk to your parents, and start being more open with them.

Take it easy, you are young.

If you become dentist and you no like, you will be about 30y/o and can study another career.

One point that you seem to be taking for granted is that the dental lifestyle is "easy." Compared to medicine, it is less stressful, but don't kid yourself that you won't need to work hard in your future. If you truly don't give a **** about your patients and are only working for the reputation and "lifestyle" that comes with dentistry, then it's going to catch up with you eventually. There's nothing wrong with the reasons you listed for why you like dentistry more, the problem lies within your frame of mind. If you're going to choose this career path don't half- ass it.

Reactions: 1 users
No. You are not being selfish or lazy. Why wouldn't someone want a career that provides them with great work hours, greay pay, less stress, a sense of accomplishment all while making their family proud? If you truly find dentistry to be interesting and beneficial to your life then go for it. If you are simply doing it for the hell of it, it probably will make you miserable in the end.

If you are simply doing it for the hell of it, it probably will make you miserable in the end.

Surely nobody goes through this long, grueling process just "for the hell of it!" :laugh:

I can just think of a lot more fun things to do on a whim! :D

i cant believe that i got accepted into dental school. i am so happy and thankful and relieved. i want to grow up to be a good person - to live a life that is truly beautiful - i want to do something good for society, for my family, and for my Church. i really want to give my everything to God.
well.... none of those reasons sound selfish to me.

I don't understand why wanting to better yourself is selfish? how is that selfish?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear OP,

You are not lazy because you choose a career that does not require more than 10 hour/day working. But then again, should you want to work more you can always open your office to cover on weekends too. Laziness means you are not working while you should be working. Dentistry is a highly respected profession so No, choosing dentistry does not make you a lazy person. Reading your post gives me the impression that family expectation is what drives you and that is not the right reason for you to go into medicine or dentistry. Asian parents want their kids to become "doctors" of some kind so they can boast to all their friends but this does more harm than good. If you want medicine, then you should consider DO or off shore medical school rather than settling in dentistry. This will give you the "prestige" factor if this is important for you of whatever the reason is. But I suggest you to look deep inside your soul to see if this is what you want at all. "Doctor" of any kind will make you unhappy if your heart is not in it. Trust me, I have seen the misery from many of my friends who went to medical school because "it was that or else" from their parents. It seems you are obligated from your parents and while it is a noble thought, it will spell disaster for you in the long run. DP

PS: While my words seem strong, I want to make sure dentistry is exactly what you want rather than you do not have the grades to get into medical school. DO or foreign schools offer admission with less competitive stats than MD schools and while you may not be able to specialize in the field you want, you still be able to practice medicine. This is important to know because while both fields are in healthcare, they are vastly different. This is especially important if you truly want medicine over dentistry.

Dentist do not have an easy life as you may think or else everyone will want to be a dentist. First you must have the grades to get in and that means years of intense studying. Then while in DS, you must survive of the sheer amount of materials thrown at you and pass the classes. Then if you want to specialize then you put in at least another 3 years. At the end, you talk about at least 300K in debt with at least 11 years in higher education. With all this hard work, don't you think you deserve a high paying job at the end? And if you happen to be very succesful in your practice and ended up working only 3-4 days a week or less, don't you think you deserve this after what you have been going through? DP

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Dear OP,

You are not lazy because you choose a career that does not require more than 10 hour/day working. But then again, should you want to work more you can always open your office to cover on weekends too. Laziness means you are not working while you should be working. Dentistry is a highly respected profession so No, choosing dentistry does not make you a lazy person. Reading your post gives me the impression that family expectation is what drives you and that is not the right reason for you to go into medicine or dentistry. Asian parents want their kids to become "doctors" of some kind so they can boast to all their friends but this does more harm than good. If you want medicine, then you should consider DO or off shore medical school rather than settling in dentistry. This will give you the "prestige" factor if this is important for you of whatever the reason is. But I suggest you to look deep inside your soul to see if this is what you want at all. "Doctor" of any kind will make you unhappy if your heart is not in it. Trust me, I have seen the misery from many of my friends who went to medical school because "it was that or else" from their parents. It seems you are obligated from your parents and while it is a noble thought, it will spell disaster for you in the long run. DP

PS: While my words seem strong, I want to make sure dentistry is exactly what you want rather than you do not have the grades to get into medical school. DO or foreign schools offer admission with less competitive stats than MD schools and while you may not be able to specialize in the field you want, you still be able to practice medicine. This is important to know because while both fields are in healthcare, they are vastly different. This is especially important if you truly want medicine over dentistry.

Dentist do not have an easy life as you may think or else everyone will want to be a dentist. First you must have the grades to get in and that means years of intense studying. Then while in DS, you must survive of the sheer amount of materials thrown at you and pass the classes. Then if you want to specialize then you put in at least another 3 years. At the end, you talk about at least 300K in debt with at least 11 years in higher education. With all this hard work, don't you think you deserve a high paying job at the end? And if you happen to be very succesful in your practice and ended up working only 3-4 days a week or less, don't you think you deserve this after what you have been going through? DP

Dear Dr. Dai Phan,

I was wondering, do you think that if, after I graduate dental school, I start working as an "associate dentist" then my life will be easier?

The reason why I ask this is because a lot of dentist that I know worry about paying off the loans that they took out in order to buy their own private practice/office. I feel that I don't want to buy my own office because that would be too stressful. I don't want to constantly worry about making enough money each day to keep my practice going. Instead, I want to just work as an associate dentist, and because I don't want to own my own office/private practice, I would like to just work under another dentist. If I work as an associate dentist, then I could just work 3 or 4 days a week, 9am - 5pm, and then spend the rest of the week resting. Do you think that that lifestyle is easier?

I know that associate dentists don't make as much money as the main dentist who actually owns the private practice, but I feel perfectly happy settling for a lower pay. I would be perfectly fine getting paid only $300 or $400 dollars a day. That would be fine.

@Dr. Dai Phan - what can you tell me about the life of an associate dentist? Is their life style much easier?

Dear Dr. Dai Phan,

I was wondering, do you think that if, after I graduate dental school, I start working as an "associate dentist" then my life will be easier?

The reason why I ask this is because a lot of dentist that I know worry about paying off the loans that they took out in order to buy their own private practice/office. I feel that I don't want to buy my own office because that would be too stressful. I don't want to constantly worry about making enough money each day to keep my practice going. Instead, I want to just work as an associate dentist, and because I don't want to own my own office/private practice, I would like to just work under another dentist. If I work as an associate dentist, then I could just work 3 or 4 days a week, 9am - 5pm, and then spend the rest of the week resting. Do you think that that lifestyle is easier?

I know that associate dentists don't make as much money as the main dentist who actually owns the private practice, but I feel perfectly happy settling for a lower pay. I would be perfectly fine getting paid only $300 or $400 dollars a day. That would be fine.

There is stress that goes along with having to manage a practice... but sometimes, it is also stressful not to be the boss!

I have worked various jobs throughout high school and college, and a few of them have shown me that I really want to be my own boss someday. :) Hopefully, the dentist you're working for will be highly competent and fair, so you won't run into many issues. However, if you work for someone whose ideals and office mindset don't mesh with yours, things can be stressful and frustrating. One of the things I really like about dentistry is that ultimately, I will be my own boss and can make my practice just how I want it. You don't have as much of a say if you're just an associate, although your opinion should definitely still matter to your boss.

What kind of a debt load are you looking at? That might affect the feasibility of being an associate forevermore.

Taking out any kind of loan might be inherently stressful, but that doesn't mean they should be avoided. You'll probably need a mortgage for a house someday, but that shouldn't keep you from buying a house! I wouldn't shy away from a practice loan just because it could be stressful--you should be able to pay off that loan if you buy a practice within your means and work hard. The first few years of owning a practice are going to be the toughest, of course. Once you put in the sweat and blood, though, it all gets much easier (or at least so I've heard!). Once you're "the boss" and your practice is running how you want it to, you can start making passive income, such as by hiring associates. Maybe that means you would only need to work three days a week. ;) You could spend your extra time volunteering and the like. Basically, with more money comes more freedom--and you can clearly make more money as a practice owner.

In the short term, I think being an associate might be easier. In the long term, I think it would stink. At least in my opinion, it is worth the extra work and stress in the first few years to have an easier life later on.

Oh, I almost forgot! Alternatively, you can just marry rich and do whatever the heck you want to. :laugh: ;)

Last edited:
I personally don't think being able to work as a dentist is a "lazy" or "selfish" thing to do. After all, you invest your time and money to become one and it is not an easy feat.

With that said, if you are so tormented about living the lifestyle that you think is "lazy" or "selfish", there are so many ways that you can give back to those who are less fortunate even after you become a dentist.

Just remember to pay it forward :)

Virtually every human act is motivated by selfishness.

lol im not sure you know what you're getting yourself into.. some of the recently graduated dentists i know work 9-9 6 days a week... maybe they just want to get ahead of the game but your making it sound like your going to be sitting at a desk from 9-5... its not like that at all... especially if you own your own practice and such... its also not stress free... I think you'll probably end up being a great dentist, but don't go into it already thinking your going to work 9-5 and with weekends off...

lol im not sure you know what you're getting yourself into.. some of the recently graduated dentists i know work 9-9 6 days a week... maybe they just want to get ahead of the game but your making it sound like your going to be sitting at a desk from 9-5... its not like that at all... especially if you own your own practice and such... its also not stress free... I think you'll probably end up being a great dentist, but don't go into it already thinking your going to work 9-5 and with weekends off...

@skyguy1 - what?! really ? 9-9 6 days a week - that is horrible - i would not want to work like that. Wait are you sure about that number? What about dentist who work 9 - 5 4 days a week - do you think that I will be able to live that life after I graduate dental school?

@skyguy1 - what?! really ? 9-9 6 days a week - that is horrible - i would not want to work like that. Wait are you sure about that number? What about dentist who work 9 - 5 4 days a week - do you think that I will be able to live that life after I graduate dental school?

yes u will 100%.... the dentists i am talking about are close friends of mine so I know how long they work.. they are also very passionate about it and work this much because they want to retire early... in a sense their goal is to work less in their 40's so they are trying to make up for it now.... I think even working 3-4 days a week as an associate would give u a comfortable life... but everyone has different goals

Hey nguyenkimphat,

I totally get your concern. I come from an african household and our family dynamics are one in the same, I also believe our parents share the same qualities heh. Like many previous posters have asked and/ or mentioned brother. Are you pursuing happiness in the long run or are you only wanting to make your parents proud..? Or maybe you aren't; you said that you are having some spiritual convictions about your decision. My advice to you is to again PRAY about it brother. Dentistry is a very rewarding field not a LAZY one.. Lets say you went the medical route and became a family physician, couldnt you say the same about that career path when comparing their work schedule and job outlook to lets say an ER surgeon/ neurosurgeon, etc... FYI, I have an uncle who is a Radiologist.. he pretty much sits on his butt all day and gets paid MULA!! think about it.. I went into dentistry bc I have a passion for it, no matter how much medical school nonsense my parents force fed me growing up. lol

God Bless

Hey nguyenkimphat,

I totally get your concern. I come from an african household and our family dynamics are one in the same, I also believe our parents share the same qualities heh. Like many previous posters have asked and/ or mentioned brother. Are you pursuing happiness in the long run or are you only wanting to make your parents proud..? Or maybe you aren't; you said that you are having some spiritual convictions about your decision. My advice to you is to again PRAY about it brother. Dentistry is a very rewarding field not a LAZY one.. Lets say you went the medical route and became a family physician, couldnt you say the same about that career path when comparing their work schedule and job outlook to lets say an ER surgeon/ neurosurgeon, etc... FYI, I have an uncle who is a Radiologist.. he pretty much sits on his butt all day and gets paid MULA!! think about it.. I went into dentistry bc I have a passion for it, no matter how much medical school nonsense my parents force fed me growing up. lol

God Bless

Dear @rodneymoss how are you - thank you so much for responding back.

Am I pursuing happiness? Or am I wanting to make my parents proud? I think it is a little bit of both, but mostly, the MAIN reason why I chose dentistry is because the life style of a dentist is so easy - and the idea of working a normal 9am to 5pm job - 3 days a week and going home to rest and relax for the rest of the week - that was the main thing that attracted me to dentistry. being able to work 9am - 5pm, 4 days a week, - THAT IS MY DREAM COME TRUE.

My main concern - I feel guilty that when I do become a dentist, I will have such a happy life - and I feel guilty because my dreams are finally coming true. I feel guilty that as a dentist I will have the amazing chance to work 9am - 5pm / 3 days a weeks and get the rest of the week off. I feel like I don't deserve this.... I feel like I don't deserve to have such a perfect, beautiful life.

I just feel like .... if I work only four days a week, 9am to 5pm, then that is lazy, but at the same time, I am scared to work any more than that. I'm so tired. I have been working and studying so hard in college, I graduated the valedictorian of my high school class, and now, I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I don't want to spend the rest of my life working constantly anymore. I'm tired. I am **so** tired - and I feel awful and lazy for saying that. But that is the truth - I'm tired.

My friend is an anesthesiologist - working 38 hour shifts every other day - and he never complains. I look at his lifestyle, and there is NO way that I can live like him.

My other friend is an associate dentist, and she only works 4 days a week, 9am - 5pm, and that is the life that I want so much.

I have been praying very hard about this ever since I was in junior high. When I was in junior high and all throughout high school, I have been thinking about becoming a Catholic priest - but over time, that desire to pursue the priesthood was no longer there.

I can't explain it, and maybe I am wrong, but deep down in my heart, I know that it is God's will for me to become a dentist. I prayed for so long, "God, if it is not your will that I become a dentist, then I surrender myself to you. Whatever you want to do with me, Jesus, I submit myself to you."

I did once consider radiology - because the lifestyle of a radiologist is very easy (I mean no disrespect)- they sit and stare at a computer screen all day - and they work a traditional 9am to 5pm job - and that is exactly want I wanted for my life - but I don't think that my grades in college are high enough for medical school - and even if I did make it into medical school - I would have to be at the top of my medical school class in order to get accepted into radiology - which is an extremely competitive specialty to get accepted into.

Last edited:
yes u will 100%.... the dentists i am talking about are close friends of mine so I know how long they work.. they are also very passionate about it and work this much because they want to retire early... in a sense their goal is to work less in their 40's so they are trying to make up for it now.... I think even working 3-4 days a week as an associate would give u a comfortable life... but everyone has different goals

@skyguy1 - one of my close best friends because an "associate" dentist after graduating dental school (she worked under a boss dentist) - and she is working only 4 days a week, 9am to 5pm, and she really loves her lifestyle.
Do you think it would be feasible for this to happen to me? I want this life style so badly.

people settle all the time.

you can't always be what you initially wanted to be.

It's not like you are going to turn down your acceptance and do something else, so better just get ready for fall semester, buddy!

I have a book by Ayn Rand I think you'd enjoy...
Maybe I exaggerated, but it's hard to deny that most of what we do is for ourselves. It's in out nature. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad...who am I to say?

you can be whatever u want.... lol im not telling u that u have to work that... everyone has their own preference... for sure u could do that and live a very comfortable life

If you feel like you have to do more than being general dentist, you can use that 9-5 work hours! You got half of the day off to do other things, you can volunteer/establish organization. You got the money, and hopefully the social network that you need. You can so much in your free time, you don't need to be jailed in hospital to feel like you are benefiting the world.

That's really good that you are thinking about this, reflecting about your decisions and where you are headed. You can serve the Lord as a dentist. For example, you can volunteer to treat people who cannot pay. You can work an extra day every so often, and give 100% of that net revenue to a charity you want to support. Pray about this, and God will guide you and show how you can please Him. Congrats on your acceptance.

Well I'm not sure where you got the impression of dentistry as a lazy, relaxed career. Before you start school, go shadow dentists who thinks of their careers as more than 9-5 job for a comfy life.
It also seems like you chose dentistry over medicine for less pressure? Sure, there may not be too many patients with life threatening conditions (note, in suburban US), you'll see plenty critical patients in third world nations and even here where there are so many areas with undeserved population.

Now, since you already got accepted, stop having a buyer's remorse and try your best for a year to see where it takes you. Look for opportunities that leads you to more than a 9-5 comfy dentist life and LIVE for the person YOU want to BECOME. Dentistry has more opportunities and paths you can imagine so just start living the life you want to - you are only 22.

You will live a comfortable life as a dentist... but it isn't going to be as easy and as stress-free as you're making it out to be.

You will have a LOT of responsibilities. No, you won't be making life or death decisions, but you'll still be a surgeon and doing difficult tasks that require attention to minute details. You'll be tackling cases that don't have clear-cut solutions. And you'll be dealing with patients all day long who probably don't actually want to be seeing you. You'll deal with people disgruntled about the costs of dental work. You'll deal with people who won't take your advice, and that will be very frustrating.

Throw in practice ownership, and that's a whole other barrel of monkeys to contend with.

There are bad things about every career. However, at least in my opinion, the pros greatly outweigh the cons for dentistry. I don't really expect this career to be so easy, though, especially when I'm first starting out.

Last edited:

Am I pursuing happiness? Or am I wanting to make my parents proud? I think it is a little bit of both, but mostly, the MAIN reason why I chose dentistry is because the life style of a dentist is so easy - and the idea of working a normal 9am to 5pm job - 3 days a week and going home to rest and relax for the rest of the week - that was the main thing that attracted me to dentistry. being able to work 9am - 5pm, 4 days a week, - THAT IS MY DREAM COME TRUE.

My main concern - I feel guilty that when I do become a dentist, I will have such a happy life - and I feel guilty because my dreams are finally coming true. I feel guilty that as a dentist I will have the amazing chance to work 9am - 5pm / 3 days a weeks and get the rest of the week off. I feel like I don't deserve this.... I feel like I don't deserve to have such a perfect, beautiful life.

I just feel like .... if I work only four days a week, 9am to 5pm, then that is lazy, but at the same time, I am scared to work any more than that. I'm so tired. I have been working and studying so hard in college, I graduated the valedictorian of my high school class, and now, I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I don't want to spend the rest of my life working constantly anymore. I'm tired. I am **so** tired - and I feel awful and lazy for saying that. But that is the truth - I'm tired.

My friend is an anesthesiologist - working 38 hour shifts every other day - and he never complains. I look at his lifestyle, and there is NO way that I can live like him.

My other friend is an associate dentist, and she only works 4 days a week, 9am - 5pm, and that is the life that I want so much.

I have been praying very hard about this ever since I was in junior high. When I was in junior high and all throughout high school, I have been thinking about becoming a Catholic priest - but over time, that desire to pursue the priesthood was no longer there.

I can't explain it, and maybe I am wrong, but deep down in my heart, I know that it is God's will for me to become a dentist. I prayed for so long, "God, if it is not your will that I become a dentist, then I surrender myself to you. Whatever you want to do with me, Jesus, I submit myself to you."

I did once consider radiology - because the lifestyle of a radiologist is very easy (I mean no disrespect)- they sit and stare at a computer screen all day - and they work a traditional 9am to 5pm job - and that is exactly want I wanted for my life - but I don't think that my grades in college are high enough for medical school - and even if I did make it into medical school - I would have to be at the top of my medical school class in order to get accepted into radiology - which is an extremely competitive specialty to get accepted into.

OP you are missing the point. It won't be "easy" and a cakewalk to be a dentist. Glimmer's post nails this, particularly the part about disgruntled patients.
If you still feel 'guilt' or uneasiness I recommend you see your Catholic priest or a psychiatrist, or both.

@nguyenkimphat - I think you're setting yourself up for some serious heartbreak going into school/practice beyond school with these expectations.

Did you do much shadowing before you decided to pursue dentistry? Speak with any recent graduates about the problems they face today?

I think if all you're looking for is an easy, M-F, 9-5 job with reasonable compensation, you may want to consider that there are many careers that can deliver this. You mention being burnt out from years of schooling - I can't speak from experience yet, but from the dental students I've spoken with, DS is a whole new kind of suffering. It may be a good idea to do some serious soul searching and decide if you're up to the task before signing those MPN's and taking on hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. I think you've got many, many years of hard work ahead of you before you've set yourself up with the "easy" life you envision.

Surely nobody goes through this long, grueling process just "for the hell of it!" :laugh:

I can just think of a lot more fun things to do on a whim! :D

Cleary no one would go through this on a whim. But if its being done out of convenience or just because it can be done, without the genuine love for the field, then maybe a new career should be looked into. Duh.

Red Bull!

Last edited:
ur being selfish and lazy ... find another career

Hey OP

Did you get your answer yet?

Are you selfish and/or lazy?

Still?

Geez

I'm glad that you got accepted into dental school but like everyone before me said, I think it's not that easy a career but the benefits outweigh the hardships. I am applying this 2015 cycle and hopefully get in somewhere. And like you, I did compare and contrast between the careers and see which one I am most comfortable with. I think a lot of other people (especially the successful ones) do this too so don't feel guilty about it. From your S/N, I can tell that you're Vietnamese. I am also Vietnamese. And I come from a very humble background and I have seen my share of suffering. I see nothing wrong in picking a career that makes me comfortable. I do it because I want to avoid the things like being kicked out out my place at any moment's notice or being hungry and too prideful to beg for food. I mean no offense but I think you're still mentally living in a bubble, I do hope you find your way out and enjoy one of the best/well-respected/well-paid/well-rewarded careers (or that's what I think it is for me at least)

Alright, you seem to be having a pretty big internal struggle that you think dentistry will conflict with your faith and values. Maybe I can help out from a religious standpoint for you; try thinking of this in a different perspective. For example, the author of the books Luke and Acts was a man named Luke. He was a physician and a servant of Jesus both. Why can't you do the same as a dentist?

You mention your anesthesiology friend working 38 hour shifts. Do you really think he has any time to devote to God like that? Yet, as a dentist, you're not going to run into this problem. You seem to think that if you don't work yourself to death, it's bad/lazy in God's/others' eyes. This [forcing yourself to work grueling hours so you don't look lazy as a Catholic] is actually bordering on asceticism , which is punishing yourself for religious purposes (aka, making yourself do more work so you don't feel guilty to God, or so you look like you're doing whats right in others' eyes). You should check out Colossians 2:16-23. To summarize it, the passage says it doesn't matter if you look religious, just live for/focus on Christ. You can do this in any profession.

Also, God doesn't want you to be miserable! Please remember that. He died for you so you could have joy, not misery. It is not a sin to be happy. I've got to go now/can't address all of your post currently, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll get back to you when I can.

Nguyenkimphat has not been here in a long ass time....

I think He chose to work at the shelter.

no nurse for the rest of ur life, as long as their is enough breast milk.... Im religious (catholic) and u are thinkin way to hard.

please save what u said and reread it 5 years from now. Unless u become a nun or priest I bet u laugh at urself pretty hard

There are many ways to give back to society. Contributing to philanthropy and/or noble causes is one http://www.crowdcrux.com/top-10-crowdfunding-sites-for-nonprofits/. You are right to self-reflect on this issue, as some Eastern religion has it that blessings are just like money: if one only spends and does not save, his/her later (or next) life would not be as blessed. So it's probably not good just to take and not to give, even for a boxer ;).

There's nothing in the world wrong with wanting a stable, comfortable career. It's good to be altruistic, but you also have to look after yourself and your own needs; if you can't handle the stress of medical school, that's fine. You would be no use to others in a career you'd hate anyway.

As for lazy...I don't think it's possible to get into dental school and be lazy.

Well it all boils down to whether you are going to be satisfied with doing the dental works or not. Doesn't matter you are being lazy or not. If you don't like your career choice then turn around and find what you want. ( based on what you wrote, it seems that you are not satisfied with what you have..) since you got accepted to dental school, it apears that you are smart. Use your brain on some area where you can devote your life...this is my lame advice to you..
From a pre dental student who really wants what you have now.. oww I envy you..

It is so sad seeing people entering careers they don't truly love...
I wonder if that's part of the reason why some professionals are not so good after the academic part is over, and do not treat patients right because of their obstinacy.

If you are going to live your whole life realizing you are lazy and that dentistry isn't for you, I think you should do something else. Having such a strong feeling is worse than not having "an easy job and a comfortable life"

Is getting accepted into dental school necessarily easier than med school? Always thought they were the same.