Am I competitive? Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATrim7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to send out applications to several post bac programs(Goucher, Georgetown, Hopkins, UVA, and Bryn Mawr), and I am concerned that I may not be competitive at these schools do to my low standardized test score.

I went to 3 high schools and 4 colleges before graduating with a degree in Justice from a reputable university. I graduated with a 3.45 overall GPA and a 3.3 in the 2 or 3 low level required science and math courses. I never took the SAT and recently took the GRE just to get a score so that I could send out my apps. I scored an 1110 on the GRE and that is my trouble. I have great Letters of Rec., a solid personal statement, and a good GPA. Is my GRE score going to kill my chances at the schools that I am applying to?

If you have been to any of the schools I have mentioned or have had a similar experience please let me know. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

ATrim7 said:
I am getting ready to send out applications to several post bac programs(Goucher, Georgetown, Hopkins, UVA, and Bryn Mawr), and I am concerned that I may not be competitive at these schools do to my low standardized test score.

I went to 3 high schools and 4 colleges before graduating with a degree in Justice from a reputable university. I graduated with a 3.45 overall GPA and a 3.3 in the 2 or 3 low level required science and math courses. I never took the SAT and recently took the GRE just to get a score so that I could send out my apps. I scored an 1110 on the GRE and that is my trouble. I have great Letters of Rec., a solid personal statement, and a good GPA. Is my GRE score going to kill my chances at the schools that I am applying to?

If you have been to any of the schools I have mentioned or have had a similar experience please let me know. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Obviously nobody will know for sure but my guess would be you should have an excellent chance at anywhere other than Goucher/Bryn Mawr but those will likely be out of reach, but you never know. Best of luck!

ATrim7 said:

Dr. Myers, who is the director of the Georgetown program, will be happy to answer that question himself. The link to the forum where you can ask him is in my sig below.

You mention the GRE, but you don't mention the MCAT. Have you taken it? If not, when do you plan to? My guess is that you will need it for any program you apply to (you pretty much will have to have it for med school anyway).

Good luck!