Am I competitive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prospectivestudent16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my OAT and received a 290 TS and 310 AA. I only studied with Kaplan for 3 months and my highest Kaplan score was a 280AA so it wasn't too off

Bio 270 (normally get around 310)
Gen Chem 330 (normally around 300)
Orgo 320 (normally 290, only took Orgo 1 no lab)
Reading 330 (normally around 300)
Physics 270 (I always get 270 not sure why)
Math 320 (never actually finished the Kaplan math portion)

I was so proud of my scores except for bio which is always my highest score. If that score was a little higher I probably could have been in the 320 range.

My GPA is a 3.22, I had a rough sophomore/junior year because I was dealing with panic attacks and I was learning how to deal with them. I have officially maintained my anxiety and last semester I pulled out a 3.6 which is around where I was before my panic attacks.

I'm the Vice President of finance for my schools optometry program, I was both secretary and treasurer of my sorority, and have over 400 hours of shadowing and am very involved in my community.

I'm applying to ICO SCO MCPHS NOVA Midwestern UIWRSO and NECO

Do you think I have any change of getting into any of these schools with my grades? I want this so bad and I'm scared my OAT hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and I have a B.S. In Human Physiology with a certificate in entrepreneurial management. Not sure if that matters.

I took my OAT as well today and was really disappointed, but people can still get interviews as well as accepted with a 290/310 if the rest of their application is competitive enough. I would call those prospective schools and ask what they suggest, and if they would like you to retake it or not based on your other stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took my OAT as well today and was really disappointed, but people can still get interviews as well as accepted with a 290/310 if the rest of their application is competitive enough. I would call those prospective schools and ask what they suggest, and if they would like you to retake it or not based on your other stats.

That's something encouraging to know of:)

Your GPA and all the extracurricular activity is great but I really think the OAT can be improved. Have you considered retaking it? The Bio/Physics are below average from when I applied (300~310 & 280 respectively).

You have to wait 90 days between taking OAT's, I'm pretty sure. Most schools say scores above 300 are competitive. The physics score might be fine, because physics typically has the lowest average score, but the bio score could be concerning to them. Since you have a valid reason for your lower GPA, I would say your chances aren't bad. Call schools and ask if you're worried!

I have similar stats to you and my OAT score was 310 AA/310 TS. I currently have interviews lined up at IU, Ohio State, UMSL, and UIWRSO. I would just apply right now and not worry too much :) The worst thing is that a school will ask you to retake the test before they consider you again. It is still early in the game and I am sure you will get an interview somewhere. If you do have to take it again, I would suggest looking into coursesaver.com and look at the Chad video's. It really helped me raise my scores from the first time I took the OAT (280AA/290TS). Good luck!

I used Chad's videos exclusively (with some class notes) and did well enough on the OAT to get invited to interview at every school I applied to. Just a little plug for careersaver-I mean coursesaver.

Hi guys,
I just took the OAT and am feeling extremely disappointed. 290AA/280TS. This is below what I was scoring on my practice tests. Here is the breakdown:

QR 270
RC 350
Bio 280
Gen Chem 320
Orgo 290
Physics 250

I have an undergrad GPA of 3.39. My major was Health Sciences. I have a Master's degree in Health Administration with a GPA of 3.71. I work as an Optometric Tech and shadow an Optometrist, but do you think this is competitive enough for the 2016 cycle or would you definitely recommend re-taking the OAT? I took it this month (August 2015) and would have to wait about 4 months so earliest I could take it is late December. What do you guys think? Oh and the schools that I am focusing on are ICO, Midwestern-AZ, Nova and Indiana.

Call ICO, Midwestern, Nova and Indiana. Tell them your stats, and ask them, because they are the only ones who can give you the right answer.

I would say most schools would not consider your scores very competitive. Definitely call/email and ask, and they may ask you to re-take the OAT when you can.