Am i considered out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentLA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently go to the University of Minnesota and will for all 3-4 years of undergrad, but I am from Wisconsin. Will I be considered In State or Out of State for Marquette and the University of Minnesota?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you registered? Sounds like you'd be a Wisconsin resident so yeah, out of state.

Unless you switched your license and registered to vote in Minnesota you will still be considered a resident of Wisconsin. At least in every case elsewhere I know of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I actually have a very similar question. I was a NJ resident up until this past summer when my application was complete and submitted. Then I moved to Maryland for my NIH fellowship, and recently registered to vote here, changed my driver's license, [insert anything that can be used as a proof of my MD residency], etc. This was sort of mandatory for me because, unfortunately, I no longer have a permanent home in NJ. Despite my residency status at the time of applying, would Rutgers ultimately consider me as an OOS applicant? :unsure:

Hi guys, I actually have a very similar question. I was a NJ resident up until this past summer when my application was complete and submitted. Then I moved to Maryland for my NIH fellowship, and recently registered to vote here, changed my driver's license, [insert anything that can be used as a proof of my MD residency], etc. This was sort of mandatory for me because, unfortunately, I no longer have a permanent home in NJ. Despite my residency status at the time of applying, would Rutgers ultimately consider me as an OOS applicant? :unsure:
Best to contact the school. I've had a similar problem in Colorado. Lived/worked here for over 2 years, registered to vote, drivers license, tax returns, hike mountains and wear Colorado t shirts. They STILL don't consider me a resident.......Some states are really stingy so I'd email the registrar at Rutgers and ask.

Better to ask the school and/or look up the requirements of the state. The wife and I ran in to this issue during this cycle (before marrying) where she wasn't considered a Texas resident despite being born in Texas (didn't graduate HS here) and doing four years of undergrad here. She has a TX license, votes here, all that, but didn't meet the TMDSAS requirements to be considered a resident.

Being married and a few other things that come with that (home ownership) will give her residency next cycle. Moral of the story: do your research.