Am I doing too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArielKwok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So currently I am working full time, shadowing a dentist about 6 hrs a week, and studying for the DAT. And I am thinking about volunteering at the hospital. Do you think that I am doing too much at once? Should I wait until after my DATs to start volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

You can certainly drag a book to work and study during your lunch hour. If this is your first time taking the DAT, depending on your level of comfort with the material, I would probably put the volunteer efforts off. If you're taking practice tests and getting into the 20's, then sure, by all means, donate your time a little here and there.

I had a very hectic summer last year, but I did okay because I managed my studying time very well, sneaking in some studying on breaks, and because I'd taken the DAT once before. I already knew where I needed to improve. I wouldn't have volunteered much. I've seen a lot of success from taking time off specifically to study for it, and I'd recommend that over piling on more work.

Last edited:
My gut answer would be "yes." Since I wanted a high DAT score and didn't want to drag out my studying, I wouldn't have been willing to work any more than part time (~20 hours/week) + 6 hours shadowing + DAT studying.

Don't stretch yourself too thin. The DAT should be the biggest priority here, since it is such a massive part of your application. How many hours a day are you studying for it, and for how many months do you plan to study?

Members don't see this ad :)
My gut answer would be "yes." Since I wanted a high DAT score and didn't want to drag out my studying, I wouldn't have been willing to work any more than part time (~20 hours/week) + 6 hours shadowing + DAT studying.

Don't stretch yourself too thin. The DAT should be the biggest priority here, since it is such a massive part of your application. How many hours a day are you studying for it, and for how many months do you plan to study?

This would be my second time studying for it. My hours of study varies because the days I work, I work from 9am-9pm. So, I usually study about 2 hours on days I work. On the days I dont work I study about 8 hrs. And I started studying the end of March. I want to take it in May, but I'm not sure if that will be enough time to study.

am
This would be my second time studying for it. My hours of study varies because the days I work, I work from 9am-9am. So, I usually study about 2 hours on days I work. On the days I dont work I study about 8 hrs. And I started studying the end of March. I want to take it in May, but I'm not sure if that will be enough time to study.

I mean I work from 9am-9pm

So currently I am working full time, shadowing a dentist about 6 hrs a week, and studying for the DAT. And I am thinking about volunteering at the hospital. Do you think that I am doing too much at once? Should I wait until after my DATs to start volunteering?
I spent last summer working two jobs for 60-70hrs a week while studying for my DAT all while expecting my first son, who arrived a month before I had to take the test. I survived the experience and it all paid off for me. I have faith that you can get it done

am

I mean I work from 9am-9pm
unless your job involves sitting around like a security guard where you can get away with studying on the job, you're not gonna make a dent on your study schedule. i mean i worked and volunteered but no where close to 12 hrs/day so i still had a lot of time to study.

your priorities seem a little mixed up. first, figure out what score you want. find a decent DAT study schedule from SDN for the score that you want. then plan your other activities around it accordingly. not the other way around. unfortunately, most study schedules assume 100% dedication of time to DAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user