Am i dreaming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oae

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to Harvard.

I think Im being ridiculously hopeful. Someone knock some sense into me.

2.75 Science GPA, 2.95 Overall GPA.
22AA, 23TS, 21PAT
(With a legitimate hardship which has been explained in my Personal Statement)
TONS OF EXTRACURRICULAR/LEADERSHIP

Im also applying to 15 other schools:

Midwestern University (MWU)
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Loma Linda University
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Western University of Health Sciences (WESTU)
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
Tufts University (TUF)
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
New York University (NYU)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
University of Pennsylvania (PENN)

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly my question, why would you want to go there? Unless you plan on teaching at a dental school after you graduate there isn't much of a reason to want Harvard over other schools. Obviously it is a good school but when it comes to dental school specifically I don't think the quality of education you receive is head and shoulders above all the other dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
With both your sGPA and oGPA below 3.0, you should just pray that you get in any of the 15 schools your applying to this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
With both your sGPA and oGPA below 3.0, you should just pray that you get in any of the 15 schools your applying to this cycle.

I would have to agree. Do you have a period of time when your grades were strong, or did you hover around that 2.75-2.95 average your entire academic career?

have you considered puerto rico?

or possibly one of the lower ranked med schools? if you can rock the mcat, you'll get in SOMEWHERE.

I've "heard" Harvard was weak on clinical skills...

I think you're being too hopeful too. But hey, look on the bright side. Do well enough in dental school and maybe you can specialize there one day (if that's what you want to do).

Yes you are dreaming even if your cGPA and sGPA were a FULL POINT higher each, then it would still be hard to get into Harvard.

I want to go to Harvard.

22AA, 23TS, 21PAT

Loma Linda University
Tufts University (TUF)

Aren't you in that dental post-bacc program at SFSU? You will have a good shot at UOP and UCSF for sure, but Harvard would be a long shot depending on what your hardship was.

If you are black, you have a good chance. :thumbup:

I personally know a black friend of mine who got into Harvard with a 2.9. This was Harvard med school, so I am sure dental would be similar.

I personally know a black friend of mine who got into Harvard with a 2.9. This was Harvard med school, so I am sure dental would be similar.

Uhm...I am pretty sure that your friend was the exception!!!! I would not say good chance if you're black....maybe higher chance if you're underepresented minority, but not GOOD.lol...most schools have absolute GPA minimums.

Uhm...I am pretty sure that your friend was the exception!!!! I would not say good chance if you're black....maybe higher chance if you're underepresented minority, but not GOOD.lol...most schools have absolute GPA minimums.

WTH, why Asians are not considered minorities :p Poor me (dumb one).

Members don't see this ad :)
WTH, why Asians are not considered minorities :p Poor me (dumb one).

Asians are minorities, but not underrepresented in healthcare. There is a nice percentage of Asian doctors/dentists relative to the the amount of Asians in the population. The underrepresented minorities are black, hispanic, and American Indian. I think less than 5% of dentists are black, but the US has a higher percentage of black people in the population, I think 12%. Thats what underrepresented means.

I wish i was black.

I want to go to Harvard.

22AA, 23TS, 21PAT

Loma Linda University
Tufts University (TUF)

does harvard have a dental hygiene program??? :laugh:

if ur talking about harvard dental, i think ur trolling...
if u even for a split of second thought u have some kind of chance at getting into harvard dental w/ less than 3.0 GPA, yea i think u must have been in a real nice dream. :rolleyes:

lol i think getting into ANY DENTAL SCHOOL would be a challenge for u w/ those GPA to be honest?!?!

i dont mean to offend u...i hope that, if this was ur real question, u face the reality!!! WAKE UP FROM UR DREAM!!!

some of you guys are cold, even though you guys are just realistic.

To the OP, harvard may be a stretch but other schools might look beyond the GPA - your DAT, ec, hardship, ps, etc... Good luck!

Due to your good DAT scores I think you can get into dental school, but in your shoes I WOULD NOT be very picky. In fact I would probably apply to at least 15 schools and be ready to prove yourself in an interview!

i would honestly apply to at least 10 more schools with your gpa.
also make sure to add new schools since that would give you the highest chance (schools opening this year will have less people committing to attend there so hopefully more chance to land that interview or bump up on waitlist)

out of 15 schools you've applied to, think of the chance of landing interviews. probably very low (maybe 1-2 being lucky just because lot of schools will not even consider you based on your gpa alone). and for you to ace the interview and change adcoms mind completely to accept you would also be very low chance due to simple competitiveness of this process. most cases, people with low gpa/high dat might get some interviews but many of them end up being waitlisted.

i am telling you this just because i had to reapply and i really regretted not applying to more schools (i had personal hardship including a death of family, lots of ec, good dat, low gpa).

consider adding more schools and if you wanna talk about anything, feel free to pm

If you are black, you have a good chance. :eek:

Really? you sound really ignorant!

I wish i was black :thumbdown:.

You sound even more ignorant for saying such!

it's unfortunate that some still deem race to be a meal ticket to get into dental school or anything for that matter. So being black with those stats guarantees you admission or less hardship when applying? humm I'm assuming b/c u believe being black justifies why the scores are such! wow. IGNORANCE @ IT"S PEAK!

I wish i was black.

Humor is hard to get across on the Internet, but I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're joking... 'cause that's a *****ic thing to say in earnest.

Really? you sound really ignorant!

You sound even more ignorant for saying such!

it's unfortunate that some still deem race to be a meal ticket to get into dental school or anything for that matter. So being black with those stats guarantees you admission or less hardship when applying? humm I'm assuming b/c u believe being black justifies why the scores are such! wow. IGNORANCE @ IT"S PEAK!

How is that statement ignorant?

I didn't say it guarantees it, I said he has a good chance if he was, since African Americans receive so much bonus in general due to their lack of representation in academics.

Being black isn't a "meal ticket" but definitely gives applicants bonus. You can't disagree with that.

It doesn't hurt to try, but don't be hurt if they don't consider you app. Other schools may be willing to take a chance on you though with low GPA, high DAT e.g. Boston, NYU, and Tufts (?). But I wish you luck! Sometimes dreams do come true. You just never know. Have some faith in yourself.

How is that statement ignorant?

I didn't say it guarantees it, I said he has a good chance if he was, since African Americans receive so much bonus in general due to their lack of representation in academics.

Being black isn't a "meal ticket" but definitely gives applicants bonus. You can't disagree with that.
:thumbup:
Any URM can have lower stats and get in be it African Americans, Purlpe Aliens, Hispanic Americans or Native Americans. This is not to say a URM can get in with a 1.5 and 12 DAT!!

Harvard tends to look at a lot of intangibles - research in particular. If you had done some real groundbreaking research and published as first author a few times, I would say you'd have a good chance. However, your GPA will not only keep you out of Harvard, but the vast majority of schools as well. In fact, at several schools (Case Western comes to mind), your application will never even be looked at by an admissions officer.

sofkn never said it was a "meal ticket"... he is just stating the obvious that being URM never hurt anybody's application.

Go to predents.com and compare statistics of traditionally african american schools to that of public and private schools... you will notice a drastic difference in the averages of DAT/GPA... i understand predents is not the most reliable of sources, but i feel it suffices for our purposes.

Any person who chooses to ignore statistics is the ignorant one.

Cheers!!! :D:D:D

I totally forgot I posted this thread.

I was feeling particularly humorous that day. I knew you guys would give me grief about my "Dream".

I agree with most of you that Id be very lucky to get into any of the 16 schools I applied to. I am crossing my fingers and praying for the best.

One of you suggested Medical School. Well, the problem is that I actually want to be a dentist. Im exclusively interested in teeth.

Someone else suggested that I apply to 10 more schools. Which schools would those be? I believe Ive already picked all the ones I have a good chance at.

Lastly, please dont hijack my post to discuss racial/URM topics. LOL. Nonetheless, the black guy with a 2.9 who got into Harvard has inspired me.

Good luck everyone with this cycle! Also feel free to pound me more about my far fetched dream. Its helps knock some logic into me.

Why is Harvard so special?

Why would you want to go to Harvard? :D

because it is THE top school to go if you want to specialize...had a friend who interviewed there last cycle and found that 90% of their 2009 graduating class went on to specialize :eek: not kidding.

and sure, not everyone wants to specialize and harvard is by no means leaps and bounds over other schools clinically.

Last edited:
Also feel free to pound me more about my far fetched dream. Its helps knock some logic into me.

Thats what she said......sorry....I'm just really immature...

Got my first rejection from Midwestern today. :( Not surprising I guess.

Im already feeling like this is going to be a LOOOONNGGG year. If Im lucky, Ill be one of those people that get called for an admission offer the day before school starts.

476515678234896 and SFrice...... You guys are too funny. lmfao

2.75 sGPA and 2.95 oGPA is too low even with your DAT.
You should try to make those at least 3.0 and reapply and you will surely get many interview invites.