Am I headed the right direction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mideastbroson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I am a permanent resident of middle eastern descent and ever since I was a young child growing up in the mideast it has been my dream to be the first doc in the family (wow thats a run on sentence lol). I pretty much stress out almost everyday on whether I have a shot on "getting in" so I figured I would ask those of you who are experienced with this website.
I'm actually a newbie to these forums and wanted to share a rather cliched question with all of you? Am I doing what i'm supposed to be doing? These are the current "stats". I go to a small private liberal arts college in PA by the name of Muhlenberg College.

1st year GPA
Fall 2005 : 3.65
Spring 2005 : 3.9
CUMULATIVE 1ST YEAR + 1 course of Physics I during this summer: 3.73 (I know not that great :( )

1.Currently volunteering for the American Diabetes Association in the Walk for Diabetes
2.Soon to be Public Speaker for the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America
3.Currently a blood donor aide for the Keystone-Miller Blood Center of Pennsylvania
4. Will be shadowing a both a family physician (in a week) for about 10-15 hours, and will also be shadowing an orthopedic surgeon for about 10-15 hours as well.

Next Summer I will be taking an EMT course and possibly (If i dont take it this upcoming spring semester) Physics II. Im trying my best to get my hands on some research as well. I also basically spent this summer independent learning Physics II so when i get to it hopefully it will be cake.

Looking forward to your input, constructive criticism, and comments!
Thanks guys and gals! :)

Sincerely,
Mohammed.

Members don't see this ad.

mideastbroson said:
3.73 (I know not that great :( )

This is about where people are going to stop giving a crap about your post :rolleyes:

OP,

It sounds like you are doing just fine. A 3.7 is quite good, but of course the higher the better. :) Keep up those extracurriculars so that you'll have something meaningful to talk about in your essays/interviews when the time comes, but of course only do things you actually want to do. That is to say, don't do them just to look good on your application. I would also advise picking one or two extra currriculars you really enjoy, and devote your time to those because it is more important to be actively involved in a few things than passively involved in many.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the GPA,
I just see so many other applicants with straight A's and amazing applications I pretty much feel like crap.

Come to PCOM and join the rest of your brethren.
You can stop stressing, you're heading in the right direction and should land interviews with a good MCAT. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Mohammed,

Please do not fret! Your cummulative 3.7 is not dismal to say the least. If it's any consolation you have an upward trend in your GPA from the fall to the spring. It humours me a great deal how these forums freak people out when people state there pleas for counseling when they have a "horrible" 3.9999999999999 GPA. I mean look at me my fall GPA was 1.57 and my spring was 1.37 :laugh: and i'm still hopefull. There's only one way for me to go and that's up baby :laugh: There, that should cheer you up. Keep this in mind: when you feel or belive that you are in a hopeless situation there is surely someone else that's in a more worst ordeal than you are.

Good Luck with your endeavours,

MaKaye55 :p

P.S. The sarcasm wasn't meant to be harsh.

mideastbroson said:
Hey everybody,
I am a permanent resident of middle eastern descent and ever since I was a young child growing up in the mideast it has been my dream to be the first doc in the family (wow thats a run on sentence lol). I pretty much stress out almost everyday on whether I have a shot on "getting in" so I figured I would ask those of you who are experienced with this website.
I'm actually a newbie to these forums and wanted to share a rather cliched question with all of you? Am I doing what i'm supposed to be doing? These are the current "stats". I go to a small private liberal arts college in PA by the name of Muhlenberg College.

1st year GPA
CUMULATIVE 1ST YEAR + 1 course of Physics I during this summer: 3.73 (I know not that great :( )

1.Currently volunteering for the American Diabetes Association in the Walk for Diabetes
3.Currently a blood donor aide for the Keystone-Miller Blood Center of Pennsylvania
4. Will be shadowing a both a family physician (in a week) for about 10-15 hours, and will also be shadowing an orthopedic surgeon for about 10-15 hours as well.

Next Summer I will be taking an EMT course and possibly (If i dont take it this upcoming spring semester) Physics II. Im trying my best to get my hands on some research as well. I also basically spent this summer independent learning Physics II so when i get to it hopefully it will be cake.

Sincerely,
Mohammed.

I would bear north by north east.

mideastbroson said:
Hey everybody,

1st year GPA

Sincerely,
Mohammed.

Just so you know, the average GPA of people that get accepted to schools is around 3.5. This means people get in with higher and LOWER GPA's. Dont stress out. 3.7 could get you into a top ranked school if the rest of your application was good.

Regarding the earlier comment made, bear northeast meaning what?
Applying to northeastern medical schools?
I believe that the stats for schools located in teh NE U.S. are for every seat availible in medical school there are approximately 26 applicants. Means I have to distinguish myself from the other 25. Stomach ulcers are acting up again....:(

buddy, you need to learn the meaning of sarcasm :)

A 3.7 sucks in the Middle East. We do not play over there. Many American students do not understand the rigor of Asian countries.

Mohammed, koolish zayn tit sawi! (Mohammed, you are doing very well!)

You do have a very good point, I am appreciative of my standings now (Thank you god) but in the middle east a 3.7 is considered average which is why i was worried in teh 1st place. The British boarding school I attended as a young child frowned upon anything less than a 3.8. Rough Childhood u thanks everyone for your feedback! I appreciate it greatly!!!! :)

Please do leave suggestions if you have any of what kind of Extracurricular Activity you think would be recommended as far as medical school is concerned. I am of course pursuing some that I enjoy myself (i.e. tutoring bio chem and calc) and pretty soon I will be teh TA for biology. However i seem to be stuck in a jam as to what else I should be doing. For example, is becoming an EMT a very needed must? and is research crucial? Sorry if i sound like a noob :(

Thanks again! :)

mideastbroson said:
Hey everybody,

1st year GPA

Sincerely,
Mohammed.

The one thing holding you back is your GPA. But don't give up. You can always re-apply when you probably don't get in the first time. You'll also probably need to do a Masters or a post-bacc to raise your grades as it is definitely too late to raise them by the time you graduate. There's more lacking from you application than just grades, however. You need more volunteer work. You have diabedes covered, maybe now something neurological...ALS is hot right now. Oh wait, but you've got MS already..don't want to look selfish.... Hmm, go the cancer/aids routes, or both. Still, you're not quite at the level that will make everybody vomit, i'm only getting a little splash in the back of my throat, and we all know that will never get you to med school. You need to go to Africa. If you plan it right you could work out a trip to Africa and Asia, then you might be competitive. Good luck, you'll need it.

Mohammed, make sure you find time to volunteer and also to shadow a doctor. Those two are basically givens to be on the same level playing field as others.

Join some pre-medical clubs, like AMSA, and also find a fun club for yourself, like a frisbee club or something!! Have fun

Many M.D. applicants have research time, but when I read in my Kaplan book about how to get into medical school, they said do not worry about research unless you are applying as combined M.D./Ph.D

And like the person above me mentioned, plan a trip to Africa if you have the chance, and do some work over there. I'm sure some North African Middle Eastern countries need your assistance, and your grasp of the Arabic language would definitely be an asset to maximize your experience!!!