Am I hopeless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jharris14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated highschool in 2013 and had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. I enrolled in classes at my local community college for general studies for associates in science and took general chemistry but was not prepared for it and had to withdraw from it. The following semester I was lost and still clueless what to do and took more basic classes like English, history, etc.. Also biology but for non science majors. Fall 2014 I decided to hop back in general chemistry and see how I fare and it went very well in lecture.. Had a B, but.. Carelessly, I was a horrible student and rarely went to lab and made a D in the class. Now, presently I really believe I want to pursue dentistry but with all that mess on my transcript with gem chem 1 and my carelessness, I can't imagine how awful that would look. The thing about me is when I put my mind to something I can achieve it. So, now that dentistry is the goal, I know I could put in the work and get all the pre reqs done, but I wonder how if it's too late since all that happened and that if it'll look too bad in the future. I'm transferring to a university this coming fall planning on strong in gem chem and cellular and molecular bio and all that. I'm just wondering now if it's too late and I've slaughtered my chances with carelessness, or if I can put in the work and still succeed with my goals.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all, I know many people who get into dental schools even though they screwed up their first year. Plus labs are only what, 1 credit? that's not going to hurt you at all. just keep continuing on with your courses and make sure you do well in the rest to come. I know friends who got a couple C's in his early years of undergrad, applied and got to their top choice schools. You'll be fine.

a lot of dental schools look at your last 2 years anyways cause they know that many screw up their first 2 years because they were in the same boat as you. Just keep going with what you want and make sure you have a good science GPA. ( i personally don't think you'll need a masters, as long as you just keep a 3.7+ from here on out.

You can definitely still make it, but you might have to do a year of post-bach or a Masters (since I don't know your GPA now I don't know for sure).

Just make sure that you realize that a university is more difficult than a CC, so prepare yourself accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not what you've done so far, its what you do next that makes the difference. If you change now and show steady and dramatic improvement schools will look at you and take that into account. I think if you really want it, go for it. I was worse off than you. See my personal message for details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I said yes, would the disapproval of a stranger on the internet be enough to make you give up? If so, then you are hopeless.

You are a little bit too early on your path for this kind of introspection. It's all conjuncture until you've taken a few classes and done well on them.