Am I making a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureFarmer21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, here is my story. I am a senior attending Wayne State University, my gpa is 3.95, I am a certified pharmacy technician and my pcat score is 84th percentile. However, I don't have a major, my extracurricular are very pedestrian and I have no publications. Like a idiot, I took a Anatomy and Physiology class at the local community college that only transfers to Wayne State. I am finished with my PharmCAS application and am debating whether I should I apply to another school besides Wayne State. The problem is that if I do apply to another school, I have to retake A&P and Bio 1500 which is that last thing I want to do in my 4th year. I feel very strongly that I will get into Wayne State and would be shocked if I didn't yet I feel that I am a taking a major risk applying to only one school. I am honestly torn between whether I should take these courses and apply to other schools or just apply to Wayne. I know its easy to say take the courses just to be safe but I feel that taking these courses and apply to other schools would just be a waste of my time and money. Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, here is my story. I am a senior attending Wayne State University, my gpa is 3.95, I am a certified pharmacy technician and my pcat score is 84th percentile. However, I don't have a major, my extracurricular are very pedestrian and I have no publications. Like a idiot, I took a Anatomy and Physiology class at the local community college that only transfers to Wayne State. I am finished with my PharmCAS application and am debating whether I should I apply to another school besides Wayne State. The problem is that if I do apply to another school, I have to retake A&P and Bio 1500 which is that last thing I want to do in my 4th year. I feel very strongly that I will get into Wayne State and would be shocked if I didn't yet I feel that I am a taking a major risk applying to only one school. I am honestly torn between whether I should take these courses and apply to other schools or just apply to Wayne. I know its easy to say take the courses just to be safe but I feel that taking these courses and apply to other schools would just be a waste of my time and money. Your thoughts?

Sounds like a pretty solid GPA, which helps a lot. I don't see why you wouldn't get in as long as your interview isn't a mess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously just went through the same thing. I only applied to MWU - CPG and had to go through the process of "owning" that decision & making peace.

Here are some of the questions I answered honestly to come to my decision.
- What are the reasons you're pinning your hopes to one school? (In my case, I own a house & my support system is here in Phoenix. It would take a lot to move.)
- Are you OK waiting for a year to get into pharmacy school if you don't get accepted by your 1st choice? (In my case, I need more time to get prepared for a move. In your case, it would allow you time to take A&P.)
- What would you do with your extra year?
- What would you have to do if you do get accepted to another school for this cycle? Is it realistic?
- Are there any other schools that you'd be happy going to or that might have some of the same positive aspects (or offset some negatives) as your 1st choice?

I ended up needing to talk through it with a few people whose opinions I value so I could make peace with waiting another year if I didn't get in. Once I did, I felt a lot less stressed out with the whole thing - I was really nervous about my interview prior to talking it out, because I was pinning my hopes on it. As it was, I was able to be relaxed about the interview, although I did go a little overboard prepping for it. :rolleyes:

I am very surprised there is such a beast as an A&P class that is only acceptable at Wayne State. Have you tried talking to any other schools? You might consider asking their admissions office if they'll take a look at the course competencies / syllabus from your A&P and determine if it's acceptable. They can't say yes until you ask, right?

I have talked to other schools and the consensus is that I have to retake the course at Wayne in order for it to transfer. To be honest however, I am not even sure I would go to any school other Wayne because I don't want to leave my home. I think I am going to just apply to Wayne and hope for the best. My credentials should be enough to get in. Thanks for your help.

I have talked to other schools and the consensus is that I have to retake the course at Wayne in order for it to transfer. To be honest however, I am not even sure I would go to any school other Wayne because I don't want to leave my home. I think I am going to just apply to Wayne and hope for the best. My credentials should be enough to get in. Thanks for your help.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Sounds like you're making peace with it.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbup: Random internet person's rooting for you. :D