Am I match worthy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbg1951

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to know where, and if, my app can be improved to the point of being able to garner a residency. I applied to IM and FM this past MATCH and got 2 interviews without any contact with the programs, and then 5 more late in the season after calling and saying I can fill slots last minute. I'm wondering if I should do more research or perhaps take a para clinical job like anasthesia tech or scribe to stay clinical? Can my app be improved to be match worthy or is it a lost cause?

I'm a US IMG and am ECFMG certified.

I graduated in Dec. 2011 with about 2 yrs extra time taken as both my parents lost their jobs during my 1st year in med school and I had to start working full time in addition to completing med school in India. Working full time lead to attendance problems causing me to not be eligible to take exams for certain courses. Also, I did 2 months worth of US clerkships.

step 1 - 222, 1st attempt
step 2 ck- 227 2nd attempt ( 196 1st attempt, 203 was passing then)
step 2 cs: pass, 1st attempt

6 months research at Georgia Institute of Technology in conjunction with the Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia- no paper published - 1 good LOR from a PHD at the foundation.............................................................................................. (march - aug 2014)
6 months experience running clinic in India..........................................................................(Dec 2011- June 2012)
1 month clerkship in ER of major Atlanta hospital with great LOR .......................................(aug 2011)
1 month clerkship in FM with a waived to see LOR (pretty sure its decent/great) ................(aug 2010)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The name of the school is the Georgia Institute of Technology.

I think your best chances would be to apply broadly next time. I don't know how many programs you applied to but I would suggest upwards of around 100 or more, especially since this would be your 2nd time around. Make sure that many of the programs are IMG friendly as well. Better chance with FM programs but you can still a combo of both. Your experiences and stats for an AMG are less than stellar and the fact that you're an IMG, regardless of being US or not and the fact that you failed step 2 once and your passing score is only barely better than your step 1 score is not doing you any favors. Make sure you explain your situation with your parents loosing their jobs and what you had to do to help out. Maybe weave it in to your PS somehow. You have to get some interest from programs by showing them how you will not be a liability. There are far more well qualified candidates both IMG and FMG compared to you from the information you provided so you have to stand out and get a program's attention (positively of course) somehow. You don't have the luxury to be picky if you want to match. I know I sound harsh but I'm just giving it to you straight.

What have you been doing since Aug 2014? Why did you stop doing research? I'm not sure how much a publication would help you though, maybe marginally. There's nothing you can do about your scores now so the best thing is to have a compelling PS, LORs and do something in the interim that shows continued dedication to medicine. I've heard that having a Step 3 score can help as well (barring you do well on it). Good luck.

Last edited:
1. What did you do 2012 - 2014? Did I miss it?
2. What have you done since 2014?
3. How many programs did you apply to in the last match? What geographical area? Did you also try prelim years?
4. Did you contact PDs where you interviewed after the match/SOAP was over and ask for advice?

As you know, the red flags are: Failed Step II CK, extra time in med school, old YOG, no previous matches, old LORs. The best suggestions that I have are: 1) Rock Step III. 2) Get updated LORs from MDs - the old ones may be good, but they're old. Make sure they're up to date and get new ones to reflect what you've been doing recently. 3) Get more recent clinical experience. 4) Work any contacts you have. 5) Apply broadly and smartly if you apply again.

Finally, being match worthy and matching are two separate things. The match is competitive, there are just many applicants for limited places, so please don't think that not matching necessarily means you're 'unworthy' in some sense. So I can't comment on match 'worthiness' but I can say that, statistically speaking, it's an uphill climb for you. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your replies. I totally appreciate your honest advice. I too agree that my app has a lot of red flags. As far as the gap between 2012 to 2014, there was no USCE going on as I was busy taking care of my parents who had multiple major surgeries during that time in addition to taking on additional financial responsibilities of the house. I didn't stress this in my PS as I felt like it was a recurring theme of financial difficulties and parents coming up throughout my whole career and I didn't want to beat that drum again... perhaps I should?

I was working at Kaplan, helping to teach CS classes, between Sept 2014 and Jan 2015 but other than that nothing clinical.

I applied to about 350 programs... yea... I know.... pretty much any program that looked IMG friendly got my app... I did not apply to prelim. Mostly IM but also about 50-60 FM spots.

One thing that is giving my some hope is the fact that my app was incomplete when I applied as my step 2 score came in late September, So ECFMG certification was also delayed. A lot of the places I got interviews from last minute, after calling them, said they hadn't even reviewed my app. I assume this means that I was filtered out due to the failure which may not happen next time around.

I am planning on contacting PD's where I interviewed. I wanted to wait a few days until after the Match and will be emailing them in the next few days.

My fiancee matched at an IM program in Michigan and I will be moving up there with her. We actually both interviewed there.

Currently, I am applying to Research assistant, and allied health jobs in the same hospital or surrounding hospitals that have IM residencies. I am also looking for externships in the area to advance my USCE. I am looking at observerships but don't know if they are of any value even if I get an LOR from them. Perhaps you can advise?

This is my dilemma. I know I have to do great on Step 3. But also, which should I choose if I have the option between research, clinical allied health position, externship( most likely private practice), or observership.

Thank you for your replies. I totally appreciate your honest advice. I too agree that my app has a lot of red flags. As far as the gap between 2012 to 2014, there was no USCE going on as I was busy taking care of my parents who had multiple major surgeries during that time in addition to taking on additional financial responsibilities of the house. I didn't stress this in my PS as I felt like it was a recurring theme of financial difficulties and parents coming up throughout my whole career and I didn't want to beat that drum again... perhaps I should?
-
Good on you for taking care of your parents. I would 'beat the drum' of the familial/financial difficulties in the PS once - ie, don't make the PS a sob story or one big excuse, but include a succinct paragraph and elaborate how this makes you a better person and physician: responsible, team player, mature, etc. Make sure your PS is reviewed by a number of different people in different positions.

I was working at Kaplan, helping to teach CS classes, between Sept 2014 and Jan 2015 but other than that nothing clinical.
-
It's a job and somewhat clinically oriented.

I applied to about 350 programs... yea... I know.... pretty much any program that looked IMG friendly got my app... I did not apply to prelim. Mostly IM but also about 50-60 FM spots.
-
Wide enough application strategy. If you decide to apply again, you'd have to apply to that many and more, all across the country. I would've included prelims - while they are a dead end, it would also be a year of full-time clinical work that could help alleviate concerns about YOG and would make you eligible for some PGY2 spots that come up + some more recent LORs.

I am planning on contacting PD's where I interviewed. I wanted to wait a few days until after the Match and will be emailing them in the next few days.
-
Good

My fiancee matched at an IM program in Michigan and I will be moving up there with her. We actually both interviewed there.
-
Congrats to her. Could be a good starting point for some contacts and good advice. If you interviewed there, that may also give you a good starting point for asking for advice/opportunities.

Currently, I am applying to Research assistant, and allied health jobs in the same hospital or surrounding hospitals that have IM residencies. I am also looking for externships in the area to advance my USCE. I am looking at observerships but don't know if they are of any value even if I get an LOR from them. Perhaps you can advise?
-
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I've never done an observership, so can't comment. The students I saw doing observerships at my home institution unfortunately were mainly shafted to the side and didn't get much interaction with the attendings - but maybe they got LORs from some departmental head, I don't know. I'd argue that if you got to do an observership one-on-one with a physician (particularly a well connected physician) or got a LOR from some big-wig it would be more helpful than not - but by no means a guaranteed entry. Have you posted on some of the more internationally focused forums? The IMGs who have been through it may be able to give better insight.

This is my dilemma. I know I have to do great on Step 3. But also, which should I choose if I have the option between research, clinical allied health position, externship (most likely private practice), or observership.
-
Ultimately it depends on what positions you can get. Take what you can; when you have the offers in hand, you can better evaluate. And continue to evaluate your other options beyond residency and what your boundaries are for pursuing residency vs. other types of positions/education permanently. Again, good luck to you.