Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAB1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I recently decided to apply to optometry schools and I am a rising junior psychology major at a top 30 college. I was wondering if there is more I should do to make sure I get in so here are my activities and grades so far: 3.8 gpa overall gpa so far, 3.7 science gpa, representative for residence hall club for 2 years, leadership council for 1 year, Volunteer science teacher/mentor for children at an elementary school for a semester, about 60 hours volunteer at two different hospitals, dance team for 1 year, part of a service organization for 2 years with 2 service trips including Habitat for Humanity, undergraduate research for 1 semester in a cognitive neuroscience lab, and a fellowship for the summer with that lab. I am shadowing an optometrist this summer for about a week and hoping to find one more to shadow for the summer. Is there anything else in terms of activities or anything in general that I should work on for my application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're very prepared. I'm sure you even hold that same secure feeling. All I'll add is to be mindful of getting exposure with optometry by shadowing (which you are doing (I think 40hrs minimum is usually smiled upon) - this is important for both deciding if this is what you really want to do (because your profile is competitive for any healthcare field) and to get credit/LOR for your application.

Regardless you WILL get accepted to any optometry school. But I would suggest you gotta convince them and yourself that you really want to do optometry as a career.

I thought my future was in bounty hunting until I found my calling. If you found your calling - great, you're set! If you aren't 100% sold on optometry and what to do with your potential, get the most out of your shadowing.