Am I On the Right Track?

izzyneel42

Aspiring Pre-Med in High School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore at a college preparatory high school with a 3.9 GPA, a 29 on the ACT, and a 194 on the PSAT. I'm in many clubs such as Speech Team, Academic Team, Drama Club, Student Class President, Interact Club, and Student Ambassadors. I know that high school grades don't matter when it comes to medical school (unless applying for a BS/MD program), but I want to know if I'm on the right track to be able to succeed in becoming a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.
Continue to do well in school and continually improve your study habits and challenge yourself. Prepare you self well in the sciences and aim to take AP classes at some point. Consider volunteering outside of school at some point either in HS or college.

See if you can get some shadowing opportunities to begin confirming that medicine might be right for you. Lookin' good so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
All these high school high achievers flame out when they get to college because they think they are the smartest person in the room. Make sure it's hard work and good study habits rather than high school being too easy that's earning that 3.9....

Reactions: 1 user
just life advice in general, don't use your actual picture or name on forums like this

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a sophomore at a college preparatory high school with a 3.9 GPA, a 29 on the ACT, and a 194 on the PSAT. I'm in many clubs such as Speech Team, Academic Team, Drama Club, Student Class President, Interact Club, and Student Ambassadors. I know that high school grades don't matter when it comes to medical school (unless applying for a BS/MD program), but I want to know if I'm on the right track to be able to succeed in becoming a physician.

Improve that ACT score by 3-4 points and you're BS/MD competitive.

Yeah, high school grades really do not matter. I know someone at a mid tier MD school without taking a gap year who was nearly a straight B student and slightly above average SAT scores back in high school while I know people who were strong students in high school (3.7+/2100+) who took a few gap years in order to eventually matriculate into a US med school.

See if you can get some shadowing opportunities to begin confirming that medicine might be right for you. Lookin' good so far.
I second this! Shadowing is always a good idea, or you could even just talk to a few medical students/physicians (maybe on here) to help you get an idea of the lifestyle and work that you will have as a physician. Keep up the good work!

ACT is probably one of the dumbest tests ever created.