About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by K1NG, Jul 22, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. K1NG

K1NG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. davidbm95

davidbm95

Pre-Medical
    hSDN Member
    You have a nice upward trend. I would advise you to increase your volunteer and shadowing hours. Try to get it in the 100-200 hour range for volunteering and 50 hours for shadowing.

I think you should shoot for a 30+ on the MCAT. Try to raise your GPA next year and get more EC and you'll be more competitive. Are you involved in any research?
  3. K1NG

K1NG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  4. Goro

Goro

Non-Student
    Faculty SDN 2+ Year Member
    It would help if you'd give us your cGPA and sGPA (total) and skip the novella.
  5. K1NG

K1NG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  6. K1NG

K1NG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  7. lolcat

lolcat

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    nice upward trend! i would say def try to get some shadowing done, like davidbm95 already suggested. as for other ECs, maybe you can volunteer at the ER or maybe a free clinic just to get some more exposure with some different type of patients. i would say try to get a position in some clubs but you're already a senior and classes are about to start so don't know the chance of that.

maybe LizzyM or Catalystik can also join in to give some advice for ECs, because personally my ECs aren't very great either

EDIT: I found this list, maybe it can help out? try to fill all the categories as best as you can
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  8. K1NG

K1NG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just a quick update... After this semester I'm at a cGPA 3.45 and sGPA 3.42. The semester could have gone better but life gets in the way sometimes. Its alright stuff happens.

I just have a quick question in regards to grade replacement for MD schools. I was thinking of retaking a C that I got in Gen Chem I as a freshman. If I get an A in that class, that would give me a B for a total of 8 credits right? If so, it would increase my cGPA and sGPA by 0.02... giving me a cGPA of 3.47 and sGPA of 3.44. That will not be my final GPA since it won't include my other 16 credits that I will be taking for my final semester. Any input if it'll be worth it or not? If it helps, my final GPA would be 3.54/3.53 when it's all said and done (when I graduate... subtract 0.02 to get my GPA if I don't retake Gen Chem I).
  9. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    1) For MD schools, the transcript will show both classes, with 4 credits of C and 4 credits of A respectively. Mathmatically this will be calculated into your application GPA the same as 8 credits of B would be.

2) Unless you really didn't understand the class well enough to excel on the MCAT, there is no reason to retake for MD applications, as you redeemed the grade by doing better in other chem classes. Taking another original upper-level Bio class or Biochem instead, and getting an A the first time would be a better use of your time, IMO. For DO applications, which have grade replacement, retaking is more enticing, as this would have a more beneficial effect on your GPAs, however, your GPAs as projected will already be in the competitive range for DO schools without the retake, so again, why go to the effort and expense?
  10. K1NG

K1NG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the advice! The only reason I was thinking about retaking that class was to increase my GPA. My biggest fear is to be overlooked as an applicant because my numbers are too low. But you're right, it might be better to take other upper level classes instead. I will be taking three 4000 level bio classes next semester, a 3000 level bio class, and a psych class.. putting me at 16 credits.

My goal is to get into a FL med school.