Am I out of the race?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmed195

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not doing well in science classes.

I got B+ in General Chemistry, C+ and A- in chemistry lab (damn harsh curve), B- in Biology lab (same curve), B in Biology, and A- in Organic Chemistry (A in lab).

Overall GPA: 3.65 (3.6 and 3.7 in freshman year, 3.64 in sophomore)
BCMP: 3.46...ouch

I'm so bummed out. How will medical schools view this? Do I still have a chance in getting into a good (not like Harvard or John Hopkins, but just good) medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Take some more science classes and do well.... Do you like science? Good luck, besides if rest of your application MCAT, EC's are good then you should not have a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got B+ in General Chemistry, C+ and A- in chemistry lab (damn harsh curve), B- in Biology lab (same curve), B in Biology, and A- in Organic Chemistry (A in lab).

I'm so bummed out. How will medical schools view this? Do I still have a chance in getting into a good (not like Harvard or John Hopkins, but just good) medical school?

I have a BCPM GPA of barely 3.5 (it was like a 3.4 before I took some PChem and Biochem courses to bring it up), and I'm sitting on six interviews, including one at Columbia (dream school). Trust me, you are FAR from out of the race, so to speak. :D

Just make sure you show you know your science on the MCAT, where the playing field is relatively level. I had to rock the Biological Sciences to show the B's and B-'s in Orgo (lecture AND lab) were not indicative of my grasp of the material. Good luck buddy!

Yes. Keep working hard. Find your faults and work on them. B's are not BAD, they just aren't awesome. You'll be fine!

Your stats, if they stay the same and are paired with a good MCAT score (29+ with nothing below a 9) are good enough for medical school.

Run a search on http://www.mdapplicants.com. You have a GPA that's far above the (self reported) numbers of many people who are admitted. Just keep working hard and don't let anyone tell you that your numbers aren't good enough.

Your GPA is good what is wrong with people on SDN?????????????

Take some more science classes and do well.... Do you like science? Good luck, besides if rest of your application MCAT, EC's are good then you should not have a problem.
:thumbup: I second what pakbabydoll said! You'll be fine! Don't lose your optimism. :)

You are never really out of the race until you say so. Stay strong, if this is what you want, you'll make it happen. Take some upper level science classes, do well on the MCAT and you'll be golden.

Good luck!

I say we just start banning people who make these threads.

are you serious, one of the reasons we have this board is to support each other through the difficult road to medicine, give them a break

you're right.

how else will we survive with our 3.65 gpas?

are you serious, one of the reasons we have this board is to support each other through the difficult road to medicine, give them a break

:thumbup::thumbup: Three cheers for premeds anonymous!