Am I screwed for med school? Bueler?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnZoidberg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st MCAT: PS:8 VR:8 WS:M BS:8

2nd MCAT: PS:10 VR:8 WS:M BS:10

3rd MCAT: PS:10 VR:7 WS:M BS: 9

GPA: 3.6

Lots of extracurriculars as well as hospital volunteer and work experience. Did I screw myself with that 3rd MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have a pretty tough time getting into MD schools with those stats... My best recommendation is to go DO.

I agree with the DO comment, you'd be competitive. With MD, it has happened but it can be difficult. Each school has their own policy on which set of scores (or combination of scores) that they take. Here's a link where students listed what they found out for each school-

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566616

The 28 will often be the one schools go by, but like I said it can depend. WHat about research? Shadowing? Also, you gave your GPA- is that overall or science?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks much for responding! That link is very helpful.

My science GPA is 3.51 but that's if you include things like kinesiology and biomechanics. I never published any research, but here's what I have done/still do:

An unpaid internship performing autopsies at the medical examiner's, volunteered abroad for a month, volunteered about 170 hours in a hospital, and still volunteer in church for 3 hours once a month (and have been for about 7 years), worked as a hospital technician with heavy patient contact for about a year and a half, as a ski instructor in the Rockies for 4 seasons, as a lifeguard for 6 summers, played in the symphonic band in college, and was a midfielder on the lacrosse team.

I also took many philosophy and music theory classes along with some precalc and calc.

I am hoping my "well roundedness" will get me in somewhere...anywhere.

I'll go to the Bahamas before I go DO. One of the cardiologists I work with did that and she is very well respected and a proficient doctor. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

What do you think?

I would concur w/ the DO recommendation. Your GPA is a bit below average for MD acceptances and your MCAT is kind of all over the place with a 24-28 range. Those are pretty good for a DO applicant but would make an MD acceptance somewhat unlikely. I do think, though, that you have at least some chance at the "lower" tier MD schools. Some of those schools may be a bit more willing to look beyond your grades and MCAT score, but definitely apply to plenty of DO schools as well. Best of luck!

Ha! Correction "Bueller." If I could spell, I would have become a writer...also if I didn't suck at writing.

I don't mind getting into some of the "lower" tier schools. The human body is the same whether you hear about in Boston or Honolulu. I just want to get in.

I think you should still apply to MD schools. You've worked this hard, might as well give it your all. Of course you have to be realistic about your options, but don't let that hinder you from applying. Every applicant has something unique to offer, and it's up to you to show that to the schools. good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been talking to a retired member of an admissions board and he seems to agree with your opinion. I think I will still go for it.

I agree that you should apply to MD schools... maybe not the top 20 schools but definitely your state schools and the lower tiers. You have a very well-rounded package. You may have to sell yourself in the interview but I definitely think you have a good chance of getting in because of your extracurriculars.