Am I screwed for next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing this one year master program this year for fun (it's in NYC and i thought it would be nice to live in NYC for a year, yes the reason is stupid but I am definitely not regretting it).

Anyhoo, my undergrad GPA ain't ****. It's decent (3.7) and it's from a reputable school.
Okay, here's the thing, I just got the grade from a course I took last sem. I got a freaking B+ in it. I swear, I had no idea about the bell curve. I knew about my marks from my courseworks website but I had no idea about the class average. I was getting all As in the midterms and assignments. The thing is, for the last assignment, I figured that I would've gotten an A even if I were to receive a 0 on the assignment, so I ended up not doing it the night before it was due and went to see this band (Ra ra riot, trust me, they will be big next year). It turned out that the prof bell curved the grades......... oh man, it was a hard curve too....

Now the question is.........
What if my graduate GPA is lower than my undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing this one year master program this year for fun (it's in NYC and i thought it would be nice to live in NYC for a year, yes the reason is stupid but I am definitely not regretting it).

Anyhoo, my undergrad GPA ain't ****. It's decent (3.7) and it's from a reputable school.
Okay, here's the thing, I just got the grade from a course I took last sem. I got a freaking B+ in it. I swear, I had no idea about the bell curve. I knew about my marks from my courseworks website but I had no idea about the class average. I was getting all As in the midterms and assignments. The thing is, for the last assignment, I figured that I would've gotten an A even if I were to receive a 0 on the assignment, so I ended up not doing it the night before it was due and went to see this band (Ra ra riot, trust me, they will be big next year). It turned out that the prof bell curved the grades......... oh man, it was a hard curve too....

Yes you are, you are screwed just for being a troll....and I hope the stick is long and hard... you are now /ignore.:laugh:

what's so "troll" about my concern for a Ggpa that is lower than my UGgpa

most of the ppl here on the forum had low UGgpa and end up with kickass Ggpa, i was just pissed for the B+ becuz i was doing well but i got curved down hard (it was my first time being curved down becuz most of my UG courses had low class averages to begin with)

i mean.....
if mine were to be lower than my UGgpa, how should i address it in my primary
or should i even bother addressing?

Members don't see this ad :)
what's so "troll" about my concern for a Ggpa that is lower than my UGgpa

most of the ppl here on the forum had low UGgpa and end up with kickass Ggpa, i was just pissed for the B+ becuz i was doing well but i got curved down hard (it was my first time being curved down becuz most of my UG courses had low class averages to begin with)

i mean.....
if mine were to be lower than my UGgpa, how should i address it in my primary
or should i even bother addressing?

If you're freaking out about a B+, I can't imagine that your grad gpa is going to be so horrible that it'll be a problem. Relax.

Besides, if you were to explain it in your primary, what on earth would you say..."I was doing so fantastically well that I just never bothered to do the final assignment?" It smacks of overblown ego and laziness--which I'm not saying you have, but this example could make it seem like it--which aren't exactly qualities med schools are looking for (and, as you've learned the hard way, is also something that really, really pisses off professors).

I think the real question is, do people actually use the word "screwed" in conversation anymore or is it reserved for SDN?
:)

well, look at it this way....
the master program is only 1 yr (3-sem, fall srping summer)

i am gonna take a total of 8 3-credit courses to complete my course-component of the program, another 15 credits for the research
a 3.3 in a 4-course sem will very likely pull the gpa down below 3.7 or even 3.6 for this sem

it's nothing like a 3.3 in a 3credit course among your other 117 credits for your UGgpa.....
u know what im saying?
i even have a C+ in my UGgpa fyi, but it doesnt affect the over UGgpa much

this is what im concerned about...........

If you're freaking out about a B+, I can't imagine that your grad gpa is going to be so horrible that it'll be a problem. Relax.

Besides, if you were to explain it in your primary, what on earth would you say..."I was doing so fantastically well that I just never bothered to do the final assignment?" It smacks of overblown ego and laziness--which I'm not saying you have, but this example could make it seem like it--which aren't exactly qualities med schools are looking for (and, as you've learned the hard way, is also something that really, really pisses off professors).

obviously im not gonna say that.... i would probably say due to personal reason that i had a bad semester (outta the three semesters in total)
a bad semester in 1 outta 3sem can really break someone u know

You're not screwed, but people will definitely wonder about your drop in GPA in grad school. Doesn't everyone have a 3.8+ in grad schoool (not even trying to be sarcastic here)?

You're not screwed, but people will definitely wonder about your drop in GPA in grad school. Doesn't everyone have a 3.8+ in grad schoool (not even trying to be sarcastic here)?

Right, how many SDN threads have we seen about grad school grade inflation... :laugh:

What I'm actually curious about is, if the only reason the OP did a masters was to live in NYC, why the OP didn't just....move to NYC and get some cushy research/clinical job...and just have fun, instead of deal with school and increased debt (well, for most of us, increased debt)....

ya i heard about those 3.8+ cases
but its definitely not happening in my program, they even lowered the minimum gpa requirement to stay in the program this year

ps: my grandpa also wanted me to get a ivy league degree, so he's paying for everything, that was a big mistake

First of all, that B+ is in Columbia MS program. Second of all, your undergrad gpa is high enough that no one will care. Third of all, you will get in this year.

I suggest try to get your name on a paper...cause you dont need a gpa boost from your Masters program to get into medicine...

You didn't do a required assignment and are complaining about a B+?

I had a professor who would straight up fail you for an assignment that wasn't completed.

Lesson Learned on your part.

ya, sony, i think i will start workin my ass off in the lab soon

this sucks, if they don't care about good Ggpa much, why should they care about crappy Ggpa >_<

to hawk: that assignment was only worth like 8% or something

My suggestion--learn how to solve a rubik's cube in less than 30 seconds and demonstrate said activity in interviews using only your teeth. It's this or bust, I'm sorry.

Ok- if you get a 0 on an assignment worth 8% of your total grade, your grade instantly drops almost certainly a letter grade. Unless you had a 98 or above you were going to be in the 80 range.

ya, sony, i think i will start workin my ass off in the lab soon

this sucks, if they don't care about good Ggpa much, why should they care about crappy Ggpa >_<

to hawk: that assignment was only worth like 8% or something