Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiro1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, this is going to be kind of a rant due to the absurd things that I see practically everyday. Feel free to add your personal pet peeves...

I got an inpatient consult today for "blurred vision" no call, no explaination other than "blurred vision" on a 40ish diabetic patient in the hospital for observation for syncope. Va 20/20 ou at dist and near. Glasses are "fine". Complete eye examination completely normal. Charge $241 for inpatient consultation. She could have easily been seen the day afterwards as an outpatient for $130. Now, I'm no saint, I'll take the money, but damn. I hate wasting my time on these consults. It burns my butt because many patients are either medicaid or medicare and I think about how this is contributing to what I pay taxes for... grrr.

Members don't see this ad.

how much of that $241 do you get reimbursed?

shiro1 said:
OK, this is going to be kind of a rant due to the absurd things that I see practically everyday. Feel free to add your personal pet peeves...

I got an inpatient consult today for "blurred vision" no call, no explaination other than "blurred vision" on a 40ish diabetic patient in the hospital for observation for syncope. Va 20/20 ou at dist and near. Glasses are "fine". Complete eye examination completely normal. Charge $241 for inpatient consultation. She could have easily been seen the day afterwards as an outpatient for $130. Now, I'm no saint, I'll take the money, but damn. I hate wasting my time on these consults. It burns my butt because many patients are either medicaid or medicare and I think about how this is contributing to what I pay taxes for... grrr.

I don't really care about compensation because my salary is based on my billings.... :)

Inpatient consultations typically pay less than outpatient. outpatient medicare level 4 consult will pay about 170.00, level about 125, less than a new comprehensive eye exam about 130.00. rationale is that you are using hospitals equipment and personel. yeah right when did a nurse ever check vision, and dilate an inpatient consult for you? in patient pays like 130 for level four. if you think we don't get enough just look at what everyone else gets for e&m codes for f/u visits. it's scary how the other guys can make a living. must be low overhead.