Am I too late to apply for Canadian/US Medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myst

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally thought I had no chance of getting into a med school in north america. My GPA is about 3.1. But luckily I had a good MCAT, 34 (13/13/8 in verbal). Im 20 years old and think I may have a shot.. or maybe im delusional :p. My extracurriculars are nothing special and neither are my LORs, but all I need is to get into one school :laugh:

Am I too late to apply for Canadian/US Medical schools? Do you guys think I have a chance of getting in?

I should note that I am a Canadian attending the U of A.

Members don't see this ad.

going to be tough with a 3.1 gpa I think and while a 34 is good having an 8 on one section on top of that makes it really hard imo. However I'm no expert so maybe it is possible but yes it is def late.

Too late for almost all Canadian schools. I know McGill's deadline (& UAlberta's I think) are November 15th. The deadlines for all the others that I applied to are in the past. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
yoru best strategy is to work on boostig that gpa up to 3.4-3.5-3.6 if possible, and working on doing better in verbal in the next year. If you really want to get into an americna med. school, you're probably better off doing a post-bacc at some american university. If yo really want to go into a canadian school, i'd say stick in canada.

Yes, your MCAT is good (although average for those very top-tier schools) but your GPA is lacking a bit. Other people do get in with those stats (and even lower) but they usually have exceptional or at least above average ECs and LORs. I mean, from the way you put it (and I am sure you do a lot more than you have posted), the only you have going for you is the MCAT and that's not even superb enough to guarantee you one school. Even if you got a 43+, I don't think a low GPA, limited ECs, and bland LORs will *guarantee* you an acceptance anywhere.

From what I understand (and I'd like to think I'm on the right track since I am in the interview process right now), high MCATs and GPAs will get you in the door (whether that be a secondary or interview), but if you don't have the ECs to back it up, forget it.

DEADLINE: I guess I should have gotten right to this point first. The AMCAS deadline for most schools has already passed: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/deadlines.htm. Another handful of schools have a Nov. 15th deadline (so close!), and some even allow you to submit up until Dec. 15th. That being said, even if you do submit now to those schools, you are extermely behind because the AMCAS people still have to process it, and then your schools may have to receive/review it, give you a secondary, which you will have to fill out (soon!), and then come the possibility of interviews. By that time, who knows if most of the class spots are already filled or not (since most schools have rolling admissions).

Although I hate discouraging people, I think it is terribly late to start the AMCAS application right now, even if you were the Perfect Med School Applicant. Do some more ECs next year, get to know your future recommenders better, and apply next year. Your chances will be much higher. Go surf mdapplicants.com and see what other people do and where they got interviews/acceptances. Sure, the data may be somewhat skewed, but I think you have the dangerously wrong impression that a high MCAT score will guarantee you an acceptance somewhere.

If money is not a problem I would encourage you to apply. I know of some who have submitted primaries in the past week so don't worry. If it's not past the deadline it's not too late, though you will have a bit of a disadvantage, but that's really it. Good luck

I would NOT take the MCAT again, as a previous poster implied. The disparity in the scores makes me wonder if there is some reason for the 8 though - is English a second language?

I agree that it is a bit late to apply - money is the big question here. If you can afford to spend the money when the odds are against you this year, then do it - but be prepared to do it again next year. Good luck!

yes english is my second language..
the deadline on the 15th.. is that for primaries?

yes english is my second language..

I don't want anyone to kill me for this comment...but are you aiming for the MD or aiming to be a doctor...many of the osteopathic schools (DO) will be accepting applications for sometime...and that 3.1 GPA will be a little easier to overcome at some of those schools...the rest of the posters are right you have a terrific MCAT score, but that is simply one aspect of an application. If you feel you've got the rest of the qualities you should apply to some of the schools still accepting apps, but if you reall really just want to get in this year apply to some DO schools you may have a slightly better shot given the time frame.

apply. in the real world outside of SDN, you're fine. i have similar stats to you and i already have two acceptances. the gpa isn't great, but the MCAT can probably make up for it. being this late, however, will really hurt you...so my advice would be to apply, but wait til next year so you can get in the game as early as possible.

jbrice1639 said:
apply. in the real world outside of SDN, you're fine. i have similar stats to you and i already have two acceptances. the gpa isn't great, but the MCAT can probably make up for it. being this late, however, will really hurt you...so my advice would be to apply, but wait til next year so you can get in the game as early as possible.
thanks =)
would u happen to know more about the real world outside SDN? it seems this board has so many high achievers it makes people like me feel absolutely useless haha

anything like gpas, mcats, and extra curriculars the 'average' people have that got into med school :)

and last quesiton, the deadline for nov15th, is that for primaries or secondaries?

the deadline for nov15th, is that for primaries or secondaries?

It's different for different schools- go look it up!

MSAR should help; get one if you don't already have it. Otherwise, every school posts this type of information somewhere fairly prominently on their website.

Most of the really competitive schools had Oct 15 deadlines (primary app deadlines). There are a few that have Nov 15 deadlines but I can't remember which ones. I think there is a website at www.amcas.org that will tell you.

One thing you might want to consider is money. I think it's kind of sick how much AMCAS charges you for their service -- and that doesn't include the $75 or $100 that schools will charge you for the pleasure of getting to fill out their secondary application. You're at somewhat of a disadvantage, but you're not out of the game or anything. But knowing that you are at a disadvantage for applying late, do you want to spend a thousand dollars or more applying this year? I guess it depends on how much you want to go to medical school this year. I wrestled with that question last month. Good luck.