Am I too old for Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
moving to the non-trad forum...

*edit* for some reason this post is currently showing up out of order in the thread

Members don't see this ad.

I will turn 30 in a couple of months.
When I get into a med school, I probably will be 32-34.
After I will be done with the school and residency, I will be 42-44.
Am I too old?
thanks

That's something only you can answer. Going to med school means you have to
push things in your life further back. You can go into a field of medicine where your residency is only 3 yrs which would allow you to have a family if that's what you're wanting. I would think long and hard and weigh out the pros and cons if I were you and see which path suits you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think medicine is definitely right for you, there's no such thing as being 'too old.' However, you obviously have legitimate concerns, and only you and those close to you who know you can help you really decide- its different for everyone. FWIW, my parents immigrated here in their mid 30s when they were previously docs in India, and had to repeat their residencies/fellowships, basically getting done in their early 40s. They had to work really hard (its harder to do 36 hr. shifts when you're 37 compared to being 27), and deal w/ being with residents 10 yrs. younger and all that on top of cultural differences, but there's no question it was the best decision in the long run. Nobody ever gets everything their way, but if you're willing to sacrifice a little now, you'll definitely get a lot later. However, that decision like I said is ultimately up to you.

where are you going to be in seven years if you don't go to med school? You're going to be some loser who takes a job at a financial firm and has to walk to the copy machine for exercise. Go to med school and save yourself the aggravation of being a pissed off fat fart.

why do you get your kicks opening a new account and trolling people?

Go to the non-traditional thread; you are not alone!!!

Lisochka said:
Am I too old?
thanks
Heck no! You're a young pup!

Lisochka said:
Am I too old?
thanks

You're older than the moon!
:)

Lisochka said:
Am I too old?
thanks

Nah...you're a great age....Go for it :)

I agree with the above. If you know that medicine is for you, then you KNOW. I'm 27 and currently applying. Just think of it this way: even if you're 38 when you start to practice, you'll still be able to practice for thirty years if you want to, and you'll still be able to say that you didn't "settle" for your career; you did what you wanted to do.

thank you so much for your help, guys!
I appreciate it!

also, don't just assume that when you are 'finally' in your own practice or an attending at a hospital, that that's the finish line, and now you are a doctor. being a resident is totally being a doctor. my husband is a peds resident and he is virtually the family's and the patient's first line of defense - he is very involved with every aspect of that patient's care. just the intensity of it alone makes it the ultimate experience in medicine. yeah the hours are crazy long and the pay is very low those years, but would look at your career as starting there. residency is the time (and fellowship too) that you've chosen your field and are settling into your skin as a doctor, both intellectually and emotionally. :luck:

i am 31 now. if i get in for the 2006 cycle, i will be pushing 36 when i grauduate. whem i am done with the residency i want, i should be around 43.

the bottom line, i will be 43 doing something i love and something i pursued with all of my heart and soul.

heck, i am going to be 43 anyway! i cant stop the aging process. i may as well be doing something i love at 43 then to wonder at the age of 43 "hmm..i wonder what might have been...." as i sit at a job i hate.