Am I too old to go to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry, but I need to make a few corrections. First of all, the school is Columbia not Colombia like the country. Secondly, a safety school is one at which you feel you will definitely get in. For you or pretty much anyone else, Columbia is not a safety. Lastly, applying to only one school is not a smart idea, especially if you are a borderline candidate.

Oops on the Columbia/Colombia............I'm 1/2 Colombian so I should have known better.

What I meant about Columbia was that I would apply just to see if I could get in but in all likelihood, I would not go even if I was lucky enough to get in.

I know for the average student, to apply to just one school is idiotic. My reality is that I will not uproot my family to go to dental school, so my only option is the one that's nearby.

Members don't see this ad.

Going to go ahead and defend SeattleRDH here....for those that are saying that 180K is unheard of, you are wrong.

First year out:
I work at a mostly Medicaid clinic...I see between 15-25 patients per day. I get paid 30% of collections.

On a busy day, I produce 4000-4500.
On a slow day, I produce 2000.
On a more typical day, I produce 2700-3000.

Our collection rate is over 98%.

You guys can do the math...not that hard to make 180K over the course of the year....and I have classmates that take home about 1K a day.

Maybe we are lucky with our practices...maybe we are lucky with our locations...maybe BU gave us higher than average speed. Whatever the case is, it's not hard to make good money and pay off debt quickly.

I'd encourage anyone of any age to pursue dentistry if they truly want to do it...it's a great profession and our country is slowly going into a major shortage of dentists.

I did read that there won't be enough dentists to replace all the dentists that are about to retire. That's good for you!

I did read that there won't be enough dentists to replace all the dentists that are about to retire. That's good for you!

Hopefully, it'll be good for you too...if you have the desire to be a dentist, by all means, go for it...dont let age be the stumbling block. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The debt load is inconsequential without looking at the payoff for going through dental school. If the OP made 300,000 a year as a dentist then it may very well be worth it depending on how long he/she wants to practice. Debt is not necessarily a bad thing; the rich know how to leverage it and use it to their advantage. If you are using the borrowed money (educational purposes, business) and it grows at an interest rate greater than the loan terms, you're making money. Simple.

Negatives: The (generally) very expensive dental school tuition and the opportunity cost for not working as a hygienist. (what is it, 60,000 a year for hygienists?)

Positives: The difference between your hygienist salary and that gained by a dentist. Professional satisfaction, also.

I don't think you're too old, however, if you were 55 or so I would be singing a different tune.

keep in mind she's been practicing hygiene for 18 yrs, that takes a toll on your body. to practice another 20 yrs is pushing it; and you cant guarantee yourself that. again, it comes down to economics; if you have to go $250-300K in debt, it's not worth it IMO

So what has the OP decided on? @omaralt, I am glad everyone shot your down. Way to go to pump someone up. Any btw, most dental schools don't cost 250-300k. NYU, USC, BU come to mind, but most probably sit around $150-200.

So what has the OP decided on? @omaralt, I am glad everyone shot your down. Way to go to pump someone up. Any btw, most dental schools don't cost 250-300k. NYU, USC, BU come to mind, but most probably sit around $150-200.

I just noticed you revived my post.

I have to go for it. I have taken a gen chem 1 and just finished gen chem 2 this summer (that was a tough one to do in 5 weeks!!!)
I start college full-time in a few weeks and will take the DAT and apply next summer.

i'm going to be brutually honest here; if you still havent taken the pre-requistes and DAT, forget it. if you still need to take the pre-reqs, study and take the DAT, and then apply to dental schools; you wont be starting until 41 (considering you get in the first time) and you would be graduating at 45. the average debt load for students is roughly ~$200K (can range from <$100K for cheap state schools and $400K< for the big private schools). so financially it just wouldnt make sense.

on the other hand, if finances are not an issue, and this has been a life long dream go for it. but financially it wont make sense unless you have a lot of money (enough to pay cash for school). good luck

agree

I know what I'm up against but I can't live with myself if I don't try. I will be 45 no matter what and I prefer to be 45 and a dentist than still a dental hygienist. If I don't get accepted then I can at least live with my decision

Thanks for your honesty but this post was written over a year ago. My husband I have made the decision to just go for it and not look back. Finances are an issue, we will be poor but we are willing to make the sacrifices.

I know what I'm up against but I can't live with myself if I don't try. I will be 45 no matter what and I prefer to be 45 and a dentist than still a dental hygienist. If I don't get accepted then I can at least live with my decision

Thanks for your honesty but this post was written over a year ago. My husband I have made the decision to just go for it and not look back. Finances are an issue, we will be poor but we are willing to make the sacrifices.
My dad's department had a lady who went to med school at the age of 50. She had 4 children and had been a part time secretary and full time mom for many years and finally when all her kids were independent, she decided to go for it. I say why not? If it's your passion then go for it. You still got 20 some years to practice when you're done. That's plenty of time.

lol i'm not in the market to "pump people up". and your wrong when it comes to cost. most cost between 200-300K now. NYU and USC are over 400K now. and i believe the OP wants to go to columbia which is $350K; not including tuition rising every year and interest accumulation

either way i see you've decided to go for it, good luck

Hi. I was just reading your post from a few years ago and read many of the interesting comments. I find myself in your situation as well. I've been a hygienist for 17 years and I am applying to dental school. I am currently 46 years old and by the time I graduate I will be 51. I was just wondering if you ever did pursue it?? Any regrets? It is a scary thought of all the debt we will incur but I know I want this more than anything and am willing to take the risks. I would love to know your story. Thank you!

As you can see from their status under their username, it does indeed look like she's pursued dentistry and is now a dental student :) Her signature also mentions that she'll be graduating in 2017. As for whether she'll reply back, who knows since her last activity was last November, but maybe you can search through her old posts to see her progress? :)

Reactions: 1 user
If you have 5 years left to live and go to dental school for 4 just to practice for 1, I think it is still worth it

Reactions: 1 user