AMA - D2 at NYUCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope I get in this cycle I'm getting old and tired of this waiting and applying!

Nyu culmbia and SB are like my dream schools

Then comes buffalo and Rutgers

Members don't see this ad.

Most tests are multiple choice, yeah. Some classes include short answer questions as well. Makeup exams are written, so try not to miss any exams.

As for my classmates and their grades; it's really inappropriate for me to point out which of my classmates have low grades. Like, was that even a serious question? Geez dude.

Reactions: 1 users
Most tests are multiple choice, yeah. Some classes include short answer questions as well. Makeup exams are written, so try not to miss any exams.

As for my classmates and their grades; it's really inappropriate for me to point out which of my classmates have low grades. Like, was that even a serious question? Geez dude.

Just asking.... I just want to know the lower accepted averages for nyu, nyu does not provide much info on their range of accepted scores...

And anyways, nobody will be tied to such provided information.....

I'm sorry if I offended you.... I was just asking to get. Better idea of NYU accepted student.... As previously stated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just asking.... I just want to know the lower accepted averages for nyu, nyu does not provide much info on their range of accepted scores...

And anyways, nobody will be tied to such provided information.....

I'm sorry if I offended you.... I was just asking to get. Better idea of NYU accepted student.... As previously stated.

The way you worded that made it sound like you were asking about people's current grades, not what they got in with haha.

Um... I'd say I'm at the lower end of the spectrum. My sGPA was a 2.9. If that's not low, I don't know what is.

The way you worded that made it sound like you were asking about people's current grades, not what they got in with haha.

Um... I'd say I'm at the lower end of the spectrum. My sGPA was a 2.9. If that's not low, I don't know what is.

Come that ain't low bro....

If you ain't pushin a 2.6 you ain't walkin on whater.....

How about DAT scores,,,, have you heard of cut offs?

What is the lowest you know of?

Reactions: 1 user
Come that ain't low bro....

If you ain't pushin a 2.6 you ain't walkin on whater.....

How about DAT scores,,,, have you heard of cut offs?

What is the lowest you know of?

That I'm not sure of. We don't really discuss that stuff cause it doesn't matter anymore once you're in, you know?

That I'm not sure of. We don't really discuss that stuff cause it doesn't matter anymore once you're in, you know?

Congrats .... Study more and get higher grades.... Maybe by D4 you might want to specialize.... Perio endo, ortho, pedo is just two years more.....

And again this and other AMA type threads are very helpful

Go mayweather

Congrats .... Study more and get higher grades.... Maybe by D4 you might want to specialize.... Perio endo, ortho, pedo is just two years more.....

And again this and other AMA type threads are very helpful

Ew @ specializing. The only specialty that remotely interests me is endo, and that's a dying field because more and more GP's are doing molar endo in office and referring out a lot less. GP all the way!

Plus, I'm too old for that specializing nonsense. I'd like to start a family before I hit 35. :p

NYU has very nice clothing by the way....

That purple they got is hot

I know, I posted in that thread lol. If I specialize I won't get out until I'm at least 30, which is no bueno.

What clothing? Like sweatshirts you mean? Lol...

Yea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question, how about for early birds, for example, if I wake up everyday at 4am could I go to NYU TO STUDY or to work on dental stuff?

Are NYU doors open at 5-6 am?

Bump

Bifenthrin

Uh.. I think the dental library is 24 hours. I'm not sure. The building itself I doubt you can get into between midnight and 7 AM. I know none of the labs are open before 7, in any case.

Bifenthrin, if you had to do it all over again, would you choose NYU? What drove you to pick this school over others?

Bifenthrin

We have so much in common!

Maybe you can help me while I'm in NYU...

You could protect me from bully dental class mates who might throw me in the locker.

Your the best Bifenthrin...

I can't wait until we unit, and and maybe I can assist you!

Wow this is great

(Humor)

@tooth knockn your last post should have been posted in the "Lounge" section of this site.

#throwback

Oh god, please no. :(

I picked NYU cause it meant not moving out of NYC hahaha. I'd die of boredom if I were going to school somewhere out in the boonies.

And to me, boonies is anything that's not NYC, Miami, LA, London, Berlin, or Zurich. :p

Reactions: 3 users
@tooth knockn your last post should have been posted in the "Lounge" section of this site.

#throwback

Please, omg, imagine! Another chit chat with a SDN hall monitor.....

Sorry to get off course readers...

Now back to the

"AMA about NYU"
Starring Bifenthrin

Enjoy

Thank you @Bifenthrin . NYU is newly on my list of potential D-Schools, so I have multiple questions.

How friendly are the faculty? Gunner/cuttthroat culture among students?
Enough patients to graduate on time? Easy to reserve a chair?
What do you do for fun in NYC? I've never been so I have no idea what NYC is like.
How much free time do you have each day?
How do you get to school? Subway? Is there an area with cheap rents from where you can get to school within 15-20 minutes by train?
Clinics open on weekends for practice? Does using extra plastic teeth for practice cost more money?
Are classes videotaped and put online?
Have you or do you intend to participate in any of the global service learning trips? Which one and why?
How many weeks do you get for externships? Can you choose where to go?

Last edited:
Thank you @Bifenthrin . NYU is newly on my list of potential D-Schools, so I have multiple questions.

How friendly are the faculty? Gunner/cuttthroat culture among students?
Enough patients to graduate on time? Easy to reserve a chair?
What do you do for fun in NYC? I've never been so I have no idea what NYC is like.
How much free "Bifenthrin time" do you have each day....defined as 24 hours minus time spent at NYU dental. This unit includes time spent sleeping?
Are New Yorkers nice? I've heard they're very aggressive people.
How do you get to school? Subway? Is there an area with cheap rents from where you can get to school within 15-20 minutes by train?
Clinics open on weekends for practice? Does using extra plastic teeth for practice cost more money?
Are classes videotaped and put online?
Have you or do you intend to participate in any of the global service learning trips? Which one and why?
How many weeks do you get for externships? Can you choose where to go?
Is there are group for HPSPers? How many HPSP students in your class?

I can say that New York contains very different type of New Yorkers.

There are more aggressive types than the nice types.... You can hang on a block in Nyc and never see the same person again...

New York is mixed with a lot of foreign and multicultural individuals. There are people who have lived here and never learned to speak English....

Faculty are pretty friendly overall I'd say.
Most students aren't gunners. We help each other out.
I have no idea about the clinical aspect yet since I haven't fully started clinic. I'm starting it full time at the end of the month, so remind me and I'll tell you about it in June I guess once I've had a few weeks in there.
For fun there's loads to do. I mean, there's museums and parks and shows and bars and clubs and stuff. NYC is the best place in the world.
Free time... it varies. Some days I'm only in class for like two hours and the rest is me time. I generally sleep like 8-10 hours a night actually, unless there's an exam the next day in which case I'll get maybe 6 hours. Or unless I have a 7 or 8 AM class, in which case it's also like 6 hours because I'm incapable of going to bed at a decent hour.
NYers are... well... don't get in their way and everything will be fine. We're very self absorbed in that we don't pay much attention to other people when we're out and about.
I walk to school cause I live two blocks away. Cheap rents are going to be at least an hour commute out.
Labs are open on weekends, yes. And you get a bag of teeth, but you go through it fast. I'd estimate that I spend about an extra 200-300 a year on teeth to practice on.
Classes aren't taped, but they are podcasted. So you get the slides and the professor talking.
I haven't done a global trip yet. I want to do one eventually, but they only take D3 and D4 students. I was going to apply to one in Nepal for October, but then the earthquake happened and I honestly don't feel comfortable going somewhere that was just ravaged by a natural disaster, you know?
Not sure about externships.. I know there's a week somewhere in D3 or D4 in a hospital for OMFS, but... not there yet.
I don't know how many HPSP students we have, but they do have a club.

Faculty are pretty friendly overall I'd say.
Most students aren't gunners. We help each other out.
I have no idea about the clinical aspect yet since I haven't fully started clinic. I'm starting it full time at the end of the month, so remind me and I'll tell you about it in June I guess once I've had a few weeks in there.
For fun there's loads to do. I mean, there's museums and parks and shows and bars and clubs and stuff. NYC is the best place in the world.
Free time... it varies. Some days I'm only in class for like two hours and the rest is me time. I generally sleep like 8-10 hours a night actually, unless there's an exam the next day in which case I'll get maybe 6 hours. Or unless I have a 7 or 8 AM class, in which case it's also like 6 hours because I'm incapable of going to bed at a decent hour.
NYers are... well... don't get in their way and everything will be fine. We're very self absorbed in that we don't pay much attention to other people when we're out and about.
I walk to school cause I live two blocks away. Cheap rents are going to be at least an hour commute out.
Labs are open on weekends, yes. And you get a bag of teeth, but you go through it fast. I'd estimate that I spend about an extra 200-300 a year on teeth to practice on.
Classes aren't taped, but they are podcasted. So you get the slides and the professor talking.
I haven't done a global trip yet. I want to do one eventually, but they only take D3 and D4 students. I was going to apply to one in Nepal for October, but then the earthquake happened and I honestly don't feel comfortable going somewhere that was just ravaged by a natural disaster, you know?
Not sure about externships.. I know there's a week somewhere in D3 or D4 in a hospital for OMFS, but... not there yet.
I don't know how many HPSP students we have, but they do have a club.

Thank you!
A few more follow-ups:
1) How much time do you study each day and on weekends?
2) How much is rent within two blocks? Within 1.5K/month alone? roommate?
3) Externship-wise, isn't there like a longer period? Like Tufts has students on 5 week externships. BU will have 10 weeks soon enough.
4) When do you take Part 1?
5) Does NYU host NERB/WREB/etc? Have you gotten to assist for any of these yet?
6) How long are your summer breaks after D1, D2, D3?

Last edited:
Post op follow up question: can I move in with you?

AMA, expect anything !

I was just kidding.... I hope he doesn't say yes.... Then I will have to cause I don't like to be mean!

Ima nice New Yorker

My study time varies. If I have an exam coming up that I'm worried for, I'll put in like 6-8 hours a day studying for it for about 3-4 days. If it's an exam that I'm not too worried about, I'll cram a day or two before. And if there's no exam, there's no chance of me studying.

With roommates you can fit into 1.5k a month rent. I don't have roommates so I pay more obviously. But the extra money I spend is worth my solitude and peace and quiet.

I'm not sure about longer periods tbh. We have all the specialty clinics in the school so... idk.

We take NBDE Part 1 in August after D2. So yay, that's something to look forward to.

WREB and NBDE are both offered here.

Summer breaks... assuming you don't fail anything in D1 you get June off, and then two weeks at the end of August. After D1, summer break is just those two weeks at the end of August.

No, you can't move in with me. I live in a studio and if you did we'd have to share a bed and ew gross. Also I'm not a he so pfffffft.

lol
You said pffffft

I kinda like you now

Now Ima shy New Yorker....

Average age is probably like 24 or so? We have a lot of young people who are just out of undergrad, but we also have older non-trads. I'm a non-trad so whoooo.

Don't like me dude. I'm mean and old and grumpy.

pretty much spot on with everything. externships aren't as organized and extensive as you would find in other schools. a couple of friends have weeks at a time in externships. nyu has you go on different rotations 3rd and 4th year (or maybe just 4th?). but in terms of like the APEX program like you'll have at BU, we don't do that at all. everything is scheduled in the school in terms of rotations or at bellevue/langone for oral surgery. outside externships have to be done on your own time (during any break you have).

as far as rent as concerned my advice would be to stay away from the complexes (stuyvesant town, waterside), even though they are convenient. i live a little more downtown, but still a 20 min. walk and i pay a little over 1000 for my own room. plus i'm by a lot of night life/things to do. there is very little to do by school in terms of going out.

Is it possible to get parking around NYU DENTAL SCHOOL?

Come on NYU students!!!

Tell us about NYU.....

The

Good

Bad

Ugly

Funny

the school isn't that bad, but i'd say save your money and try to go somewhere else. try to get into your state school(s)

the school isn't that bad, but i'd say save your money and try to go somewhere else. try to get into your state school(s)
How much is just the tuition for the four years including all the required dental school costs?

as much as i love the city and the NYU name..this school is overhyped for sure

as much as i love the city and the NYU name..this school is overhyped for sure

As a native to NY

NYU is known for the following:

When a local dentist can't get to the root cause of a dental problem, nerve or joint, or abnormal growths.... Pt is usually referred to there.

Many dentist in NY are from NYU, hence since in NYC they are the best, the first thought one gets, as a patient or dental staff member....

NYU is known to have a very busy dental dept, I think Medicaid or several insurances require patients to go there to be evaluated for an approval for an orthodontic treatment.

NYU is world known

NYU has awesome colors, the purple and grey.... Imo

NYU seems to have its doors open to all types of applicants which include the good the bad the ugly.....

As a native to NY

When a local dentist can't get to the root cause of a dental problem, nerve or joint, or abnormal growths.... Pt is usually referred to there.

Many dentist in NY are from NYU, hence since in NYC they are the best, the first thought one gets, as a patient or dental staff member....

NYU is known to have a very busy dental dept, I think Medicaid or several insurances require patients to go there to be evaluated for an approval for an orthodontic treatment.

NYU is world known

NYU seems to have its doors open to all types of applicants which include the good the bad the ugly.....

You sound like you'd be really happy at NYU. Best of luck :D

As a native to NY

When a local dentist can't get to the root cause of a dental problem, nerve or joint, or abnormal growths.... Pt is usually referred to there. no. nyc is saturated with dentists. patients come here because they can't afford anything else.

clinics are busy, i'll give you that.

NYU is world known

that's because the school is huge.

like i said, not a bad school. but if i were you, as a native new yorker, i'd probably look into buffalo or stony brook. and if you're going to pay more, aim for columbia

like i said, not a bad school. but if i were you, as a native new yorker, i'd probably look into buffalo or stony brook. and if you're going to pay more, aim for columbia
Let us NOT get started with the Columbia School of Dentistry...

Ugh

Wait does Columbia cost more overall?

Let us NOT get started with the Columbia School of Dentistry...

Ugh

Wait does Columbia cost more overall?

no, columbia does not cost more overall. and if you're all about names, columbia has a better name. you also have a higher chance of specializing coming out of columbia.

run the numbers for yourself. if you're going to be paying more than state tuition level, you might as well try to get into columbia. nyu, however will train you to become a better general dentist. depends on what you want i guess

Is there a gym room with shower? For NYU students ?

Is the NYU rec center open to the dental students for free/do they offer classes?