AMA - D2 at NYUCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard there were no cadavers for anatomy. Is this true? And if so, how does the class work without it?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard there were no cadavers for anatomy. Is this true? And if so, how does the class work without it?
I heard the same about no cadavers. There are sections prepared to study off of instead.

PS: Great username. I'm eating a pub sub right now.

In terms of the gym, there's probably a shower at it? Idk I don't go to it. I do think they have group fitness classes too, during fall and spring semesters, but again, I don't go there so idk.

We don't have cadavers, we have plastinates. And actually, I don't know if he comes every year, but Gunther von Hagens, the guy who invented plastination, came to give us a lecture towards the end of the semester in anatomy and it was incredible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do students get interviewed? new building (when do we get to use that building and how often?) or current building? if new building how do we get to see tour of the school?

I heard the same about no cadavers. There are sections prepared to study off of instead.

PS: Great username. I'm eating a pub sub right now.

haha thanks! they are the best. i will definitely miss them when i move. at least now i know i will have a classmate who knows what publix is lol.

We don't have cadavers, we have plastinates. And actually, I don't know if he comes every year, but Gunther von Hagens, the guy who invented plastination, came to give us a lecture towards the end of the semester in anatomy and it was incredible.[/QUOTE]

ooh interesting. are there any supplemental apps like on tablets or anything in particular that you use for the class? or is it text book and models only? thank you for doing this, it is really helpful.

I mean, I just used old notes passed down to us from upperclassmen and it was good enough for me. A lot of people use Netter's Head and Neck though.

Students get interviewed in the new building, which is used right now as a library and exam space. You do tour the school though.

I mean, I just used old notes passed down to us from upperclassmen and it was good enough for me. A lot of people use Netter's Head and Neck though.

Students get interviewed in the new building, which is used right now as a library and exam space. You do tour the school though.

how do you get school tour? you get interview in the new building and take taxi? is it possible to have interview in the current school? how much interaction do you have with other professions in that new building? i heard there are other profession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

how do you get school tour? you get interview in the new building and take taxi? is it possible to have interview in the current school? how much interaction do you have with other professions in that new building? i heard there are other profession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The old and new buildings are only a block apart. As far as I know they only do the interviews in the new building now, as it has a conference room in the main lobby that's more fit for interview days. The building is shared with the nursing program, I believe. Regardless of the fact that the new building is "shared" doesn't mean it's going to negatively impact anything. You seem a bit perturbed by the idea of interacting with other professions, and I don't think it's worth thinking about. Bottom line, there are now two buildings instead of one (which are almost next to each other). It can only help.

They're not even a block apart. They're literally across the street from each other.

They're not even a block apart. They're literally across the street from each other.

Omg

Does that mean guests would have to cross a NYC street! ?

I guess OOS'ers should not apply here

Reactions: 1 users
Omg

Does that mean guests would have to cross a NYC street! ?

I guess OOS'ers should not apply here

As long as they don't pass a Halal Guys street vendor. Then they might not make it across without spending a few bucks.

Reactions: 2 users
What should we bring for the first week of orientation? Is there a certain dress code to maintain and what should we expect? Thanks so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
Business casual dress code. Just look like a professional. If you're a guy, wear slacks, a button up shirt, loafers, and maybe a tie. If you're a girl, wear a pantsuit or a skirt and blouse or a dress (just remember, not too short and not too much cleavage) and a nice pair of flats. I wouldn't recommend heels for orientation.

As for what to bring, a pen! Seriously, always have a pen on you. And I'd bring a little notepad just in case. You do get an orientation packet and all, but you might wanna write something down at some point.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Business casual dress code. Just look like a professional. If you're a guy, wear slacks, a button up shirt, loafers, and maybe a tie. If you're a girl, wear a pantsuit or a skirt and blouse or a dress (just remember, not too short and not too much cleavage) and a nice pair of flats. I wouldn't recommend heels for orientation.

As for what to bring, a pen! Seriously, always have a pen on you. And I'd bring a little notepad just in case. You do get an orientation packet and all, but you might wanna write something down at some point.

Thank you so much, Bidenthrin!

What exactly do you actually do during orientation?

What exactly do you actually do during orientation?

Get oriented. ;)

Idk, they changed it. Ours was a week long, you guys have it for two weeks. There's a ton of meetings telling you all about how dental school works. Bunch of ice breaker stuff. Some classes mixed in.

Get oriented. ;)

Idk, they changed it. Ours was a week long, you guys have it for two weeks. There's a ton of meetings telling you all about how dental school works. Bunch of ice breaker stuff. Some classes mixed in.
I thought our orientation was just the week of August 17th and regular classes started the 24th.

I thought our orientation was just the week of August 17th and regular classes started the 24th.

Is it? I don't know what they're doing with you guys. We had one week of orientation mixed in with classes and it was terribly boring. But mandatory.

Would it be looked down upon if a predental student went for dental hygiene instead of a masters ?

And is it a red flag if a predental student is accepted and enrolling into a dental hygiene program while applying to dental schools?

Would it be looked down upon if a predental student went for dental hygiene instead of a masters ?

And is it a red flag if a predental student is accepted and enrolling into a dental hygiene program while applying to dental schools?
This is highly dependent on your personal situation. If you're trying to get into dental school then a masters would be the way to go... Considering that's what will help you make up for any shortcomings on your application... A dental hygiene program would be pointless in my opinion.

This is highly dependent on your personal situation. If you're trying to get into dental school then a masters would be the way to go... Considering that's what will help you make up for any shortcomings on your application... A dental hygiene program would be pointless in my opinion.

Anybody have any input in this...,?

Agree or disagree?

Agree or disagree?

I would love to see how you speak/act in person, because your online personality is very discomforting.

Reactions: 6 users
I would love to see how you speak/act in person, because your online personality is very discomforting.

Sorry....

And there is a chance

Maybe one day you might see me.

This summer really have some members that are so anal and confrontational.

Thank you!
But on the side note I think everyone on the facebook group can guess who you are :p

I have no problem with my identity being revealed. I have nothing to hide, and I didn't say anything that should warrant such anonymity. Just that the individual has a very strange way of articulating him/herself, and apparent scatterbrained typing.

Agree or disagree?

I think you should spend some time speaking with admissions about your personal situation for schools you are interested in, or with your pre health advisor, instead of listening to our advice or spending your time writing numerous posts on here that make zero sense :)

Just that the individual has a very strange way of articulating him/herself, and apparent scatterbrained typing.

Maybe you should take the hint and stop writing like an overly excited 12 year old.

writing numerous posts on here that make zero sense :)

Could we please stop the personal attacks on Tooth Knockn? I mean....look at your posts, and think about what you're attacking him for...his writing style.

So what if he has an unconventional way of writing....many of your patients will have unconventional behaviors in the future- will you call them "Scatterbrained" and "12 year old" then? Will you dismiss them because of their idiosyncrasies, like you are attempting to do with tooth knockn? No, you'll treat them with respect because you're going to be professionals. Why not start with that kind of behavior now?

I get it...we all have stressors in our lives. But don't take it out on someone online just because
you're shielded by anonymity.

Tooth Knockn tries to contribute to the forums and doesn't deserve to be singled out for his writing style. He's made many helpful comments in the past, and his sense of humor is a great way to lighten moods.

You're all pre-dents who are extremely focused on your futures in dentistry; that's why you went through the effort to make and maintain an account with SDN; you all have the same goal, and you're on track to enter one of the most respected and exciting professions in the United States. Why not put the differences aside and focus on the larger goal?

And, if you don't want to be nicer to him for "professionalism," why not be nicer to him for yourselves? Think about how you feel every time you put someone down. I'm willing to bet it's below a 5 on a scale from 1-10 (10 being very happy). Now say something nice to someone and see how better you feel about yourself.

Last edited:
Could we please stop the personal attacks on Tooth Knockn? I mean....look at your posts, and think about what you're attacking him for...his writing style.

So what if he has an unconventional way of writing....many of your patients will have unconventional behaviors in the future- will you call them "Scatterbrained" and "12 year old" then? Will you dismiss them because of their idiosyncrasies, like you are attempting to do with tooth knockn? No, you'll treat them with respect because you're going to be professionals. Why not start with that kind of behavior now?

I get it...we all have stressors in our lives. But don't take it out on someone online just because

Tooth Knockn tries to contribute to the forums and doesn't deserve to be singled out for his writing style. He's made many helpful comments in the past, and his sense of humor is a great way to lighten moods.

You're all pre-dents who are extremely focused on your futures in dentistry; that's why you went through the effort to make and maintain an account with SDN; you all have the same goal, and you're on track to enter one of the most respected and exciting professions in the United States. Why not put the differences aside and focus on the larger goal?

And, if you don't want to be nicer to him for "professionalism," why not be nicer to him for yourselves? Think about how you feel every time you put someone down. I'm willing to bet it's below a 5 on a scale from 1-10 (10 being very happy). Now say something nice to someone and see how better you feel about yourself.
I'm not going to bother replying to all of your misconstrued points, and logical fallacies comparing Tooth Knockn to one of our "future patients" because I don't want to entirely derail this thread, but I think you need to realize that no one "attacked" Tooth Knockn. And if you truly think that, I think you need to re-evaluate what you consider to be an attack. If multiple people are complaining that this individual tends to make little to no sense, and asks questions that cannot possibly be answered accurately by other predents, then maybe it's less of an attack and more of an accurate observation. I did enjoy your flowery depiction of how internet forums should operate, though.

Reactions: 3 users
fire_community.gif

All of you need to relax.

An attack? Really? Pointing out that something doesn't make sense is not an attack. Lol. But as you pointed out, we're all professionals, or pre-professionals and I would think as someone preparing for the dental field, this person should make a greater attempt to have their posts sound "professional" as opposed to something a third grader would write. That is all, carry on.

How much do students on average pay for their cost of living?

My friend got a flex 2 bedroom for ~1700 a month. Stuy town.

How reliable is the rapid transit system? How far can you live from the dental school and still get there within 30 minutes?

How reliable is the rapid transit system? How far can you live from the dental school and still get there within 30 minutes?

The rapid transit system in ny, is known as the MTA.

They are really reliable.

There are buses and trains through out Manhattan.

If you choose to live in Manhattan, 30 minutes to school is not a problem.

The problems increase when living in the outer boroughs.... Add an additional 20-35 minutes depending on the distance

How much do students on average pay for their cost of living?
I'm seeing people pay between 1400-1800 per month and they all have at least one roommate. What I've been seeing a lot more often (and what I'm doing) is people will find a 2 bedroom and fit 3 people in it. I would only split a bedroom if you already know the person very well, so be careful. You don't want to be sharing a room with Steven Glansberg.

I'm seeing people pay between 1400-1800 per month and they all have at least one roommate. What I've been seeing a lot more often (and what I'm doing) is people will find a 2 bedroom and fit 3 people in it. I would only split a bedroom if you already know the person very well, so be careful. You don't want to be sharing a room with Steven Glansberg.

Yeah.. no one shares a bedroom. Two bedrooms can be converted to fit three people by putting up a flex wall in the living room, essentially getting rid of the living room and turning it into an extra bedroom.

The rapid transit system in ny, is known as the MTA.

They are really reliable.

There are buses and trains through out Manhattan.

If you choose to live in Manhattan, 30 minutes to school is not a problem.

The problems increase when living in the outer boroughs.... Add an additional 20-35 minutes depending on the distance

The MTA is like the least reliable thing ever lmfao.

Yeah.. no one shares a bedroom. Two bedrooms can be converted to fit three people by putting up a flex wall in the living room, essentially getting rid of the living room and turning it into an extra bedroom.
Idk man, I'm seeing a lot of people doing it this year with friends from college and stuff like that. I'm only doing it because my girlfriend is starting a program in the city, so that situation is better.

I'm in a 3 bedroom flex (4 people total) paying $1480 each with utilities included

The MTA is like the least reliable thing ever lmfao.

Come on in NYC....

30 minutes to get to NYU from almost any spot in the city is doable any time of day!!!

More unreliable is when living in Brooklyn or queens.....

I take the trains every week....

After this summer.... Services in queens will be much better....

Don't make NYC look like it has a dump transit system when it really doesn't....

After reading about the living situation in NYC, I think I probably stop complaining about my living situation.

After reading about the living situation in NYC, I think I probably stop complaining about my living situation.

Thing about the city is that you have everything you need outside your apartment. You want food late at night? Want to get some fresh air and nature? Libraries? Museums? Shop? It's all outside and open late. Of course not everyone agrees with this but living in NYC (or any major city really) is about having the city to explore, all within walking distance from your home.

I'm living with three girls from my hometown that just so happen to be moving to the city as well for different things!

Oh so they're not classmates of yours?
Just curious- do you think that is a better living situation than someone who lives with classmates or worse?

Come on in NYC....

30 minutes to get to NYU from almost any spot in the city is doable any time of day!!!

Don't make NYC look like it has a dump transit system when it really doesn't....

http://jalopnik.com/you-are-not-insane-the-new-york-city-subway-is-getting-1687817007

As you can see, there have been record high number of delays and line changes this year than the past. No one knows why, and the MTA is richer than ever. This isn't even including the weekends which is an entirely other topic for debate. Not to mention, things get even worse in the winter with the poor weather. Calling the MTA reliable is a stretch, calling it capable and far-reaching is more accurate.

Come on in NYC....

I've lived in NYC for 25 years. Believe me, our transit system IS a dump, especially when compared to like every European transit system.

Yeah, it's extensive. But there are always delays and things are always late and things always run express out of the blue when it's least convenient for you.

In my opinion, if you can't walk to school from your apartment in 30 minutes, you're living too far away.