AMA Plastic Surgery Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That last part was satire by the way. I'll probably end up lonely, overworked, and poor.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a societal or subconscious pressure for cosmetic plastic surgeons to be physically attractive? I would think patient's would prefer it.
Is it common for plastic surgeons to get "work" done?

Members don't see this ad :)
the op is on probation?

Yes I am! Beware my trickery and evil!

Is there a societal or subconscious pressure for cosmetic plastic surgeons to be physically attractive? I would think patient's would prefer it.
Is it common for plastic surgeons to get "work" done?

I would say that majority do not get any major cosmetic procedures. At least the majority of those I know.

I think society in general favors more attractive people. I think successful people, including surgeons, tend to also have very good self-perception. So who knows... At least I know I don't need any work. I'm a natural Adonis. (Case in point).

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm.. this sounds like PUA BS.
I totally read that as Pure UnAdulterated BS.
how were you able to determine you had the dexterity/ motor skills to execute surgery?
i like the idea of surgery, but, TBH, i have no idea if i have those skills.

would you say surgery is somewhat of a calling to those with said skills, or is it something that can be learnt?
I LoLd at the username. :) Nice.

@caffeinemia What are your thoughts on residency locale affecting where you choose to settle and practice? Many of my mentors have mentioned that their institutions recruited them to stay.

Reactions: 1 user
That last part was satire by the way. I'll probably end up lonely, overworked, and poor.

You forgot to mention what ridiculously expensive whip you'll be pushing.

Yes I am! Beware my trickery and evil!

I would say that majority do not get any major cosmetic procedures. At least the majority of those I know.

I think society in general favors more attractive people. I think successful people, including surgeons, tend to also have very good self-perception. So who knows... At least I know I don't need any work. I'm a natural Adonis. (Case in point).

pics? ;)

@caffeinemia What are your thoughts on residency locale affecting where you choose to settle and practice? Many of my mentors have mentioned that their institutions recruited them to stay.

I've seen some stellar residents turn their residency connections into sweet job offers - both at large academic institutions as well as private practices. Then again, I've trained in hypercompetitive environments like Chicago and New York, and often, if you're good, no one wants you to stick around and take their business... Yeah, things get more cutthroat the further along you get, children. Ain't no one is handing out free lunch after medical school (except drug reps! Yes yes yes!). That said, practices headed by older docs are always looking for good, young surgeons to take up the helm. Especially if the helm is frontloaded with lots of brown-nosing, emergency call, ****ty cases with medicaid social disasters, and managerial b****work. (The cynics will understand that being program director is not an achievement, it's management hoopla that must often be suffered to get tenure or chairmanship.) I guess you gotta go into it knowing you gotta want it and work for it harder than everyone around you :)

Last edited:
You forgot to mention what ridiculously expensive whip you'll be pushing.

The only ride I hope to have is a 21 year old super model. I mean, a 21 year old supra, cuz I'll be poor and lonely...

im XXY without the negatives. :)