AMA PRA Category 1 vs SA-CME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncMegatron

Blasting Away Cancer!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting really confused about SAM vs SA-CME vs AMA PRA Category 1 CMEs

I know we need 25 in 3 years of this stuff. We can substitute SA-CME for SAMs right? SAMs being directly ABR approved and SA CMEs as being the equivalent, just not directly ABR approved.

Now, are AMA PRA category 1's SA-CME? Or just the ones with self-assessment and are on "enduring materials"? Lectures with AMA category 1's CME do not count I take it, but online journals such as the JNCCN, where you take a short quiz does count?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not all AMA PRA cat 1 CME is SA-CME. The SA-CME needs to have some sort of assessment (or "quiz").

The short quiz type CME should count as SA-CME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zeitman's video on the ABR MOC page clears the issue up pretty well, worth watching:

http://www.theabr.org/moc-ro-landing

I meet virtually online with a couple other radoncs to review cases as a peer-review tumor board, we add some pertinent questions and teaching slides for each case and then count that hour as our SA-CME

I've said it before but the New England Journal of Medicine maintains an excellent collection of online CMEs in oncology that count as SA-CMEs. Basically you read a key paper and answer 3 questions. Requires a yearly subscription but I believe you get access to about 20 tests/year and you only need 25 every 3 years.

Anyone know if enduring material Medscape type CME counts for SA-CME?