AMA Supports Ending "DO Discrimination"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AMA has retaliated by not accepting AOA accredited interns into any of their residency programs...

Not entirely true. No such thing has happened, as of yet at least, and it looks as if the ACGME (not the AMA) will be yielding in terms of accepting AOA internships/residencies as valid for entry into ACGME residencies and fellowships. This of course remains to be seen since no official statement has been made.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I think the biggest problem is with med and pre-med students. Talk to anyone on the street and ask them about DOs. If they even know what they are, their response is likely to be one of two things

1) They've got a much better bedside manner. I love them.
2) They're licensed to practice medicine. That's good enough for me.

This is also a result of confirmation bias and apologies made on behalf of DO which include "well they focus more on holistic and interpersonal stuff" to ward off commentary on lower admissions requirements.

allopaths have plenty of bedside manner training. as MDs and DO's combine in the clinical setting they are indistinguishable in most cases. and bedside manner is a function of the person and not the training.

I am curious what this resolution will change, though... in what ways are DO students discriminated against in terms of fees? I was under the assumption that the higher costs were typically a result of lack of state subsidies and an attempt to offset lower competition and lower admission requirements. i.e. you gotta pay to play

I am curious what this resolution will change, though... in what ways are DO students discriminated against in terms of fees? I was under the assumption that the higher costs were typically a result of lack of state subsidies and an attempt to offset lower competition and lower admission requirements. i.e. you gotta pay to play

What fees are you referring too? States schools (either DO or MD) get state money, and are usually cheaper for instate students. Private schools do not get state money and tuition is usually higher (either MD or DO). Most institutions in US get some sort of federal money. Being an MD or DO school doesn't play a part in this funding.

As far as practicing MD/DO physicians, they bill the same. You don't have a different billing code or reimbursement rate for a procedure as an MD or DO. That would just be bizarre.

Members don't see this ad :)
What fees are you referring too? States schools (either DO or MD) get state money, and are usually cheaper for instate students. Private schools do not get state money and tuition is usually higher (either MD or DO). Most institutions in US get some sort of federal money. Being an MD or DO school doesn't play a part in this funding.

As far as practicing MD/DO physicians, they bill the same. You don't have a different billing code or reimbursement rate for a procedure as an MD or DO. That would just be bizarre.

That post... if I can remember from 8 months ago, was concerning cost of education. I believe people were saying increased cost of attendance was a form of discrimination. However it is not.

200 barely passing. 250 kicking some butt. Ridiculous. Some may say that at least this is more straight forward approach... but it still smells foul considering the HUGE gap in scores there.

The least they could do is get their terminology correct: "American OSTEOPATHY Association?" Google much Scripps? Have fun with your borderline MD candidates...

Haha very true. Though to be fair, it's not like the PD put that up himself. It was probably some high school kid in the hospital's IT department with stunningly poor attention to detail.

200 barely passing. 250 kicking some butt. Ridiculous. Some may say that at least this is more straight forward approach... but it still smells foul considering the HUGE gap in scores there.

The least they could do is get their terminology correct: "American OSTEOPATHY Association?" Google much Scripps? Have fun with your borderline MD candidates...

Yup...usually it's only 10-20 points higher for DOs.

They couldn't spell USMLE correctly "USLME" and called the AOA the American "Osteopathy" Association. They aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Its funny that out of the 4 times they attempted to spell "USMLE" they only spelled it correctly once. Yeah, someone wasn't paying attention. Its OK, I'll set up a USLME and give every DO 300 points on my exam. We'll even things out one way or another.

Not especially high-yield, but the ama list of med student clerkships and the associated "processing fees" that breaks down the cost per month for MD and DO students. It's interesting to see that a dichotomy of fee structures starts even for medical student clerkships:

https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/vsas/119290/article_for_host_institutions.html

Now that I'm done studying for my USLME, I'll start studying for my COMPLEX.