Amazing patient recovery stories - speculate on why & add your own articles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start.

14 year old healthy kid gets shot and recovers. I speculate that his age, quality of care, and physical health contributed to his recovery: http://stories.cbn.com/teen-half-hi...ly-lives-tell-about-it?cpid=DIS_CBN-ST-US-27c

(Mods: Feel free to move this to "off topic" if you think it belongs there more.)

Members don't see this ad.

Gandalf after fighting the Balrog
I've dealt with chronic illness, and I often use Gandalf's battle with the Balrog as a metaphor when explaining it to others.
GandalfVSBalrog.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
On my last day of gen surg, I scrubbed in on a case involving a guy in his 50s in the ICU who had become more and more hemodynamically unstable overnight. The team had also noticed that his abdomen had gotten noticeably distended overnight. All clinical signs pointed to a GI bleed, but there was no clear reason for him to be bleeding and an abdominal x-ray was normal. Since he was continuing to become more and more unstable, he was brought down to the OR for an exploratory laparotomy.

As the surgeon makes the first incision through the final tissue layer into the abdomen, a huge amount of blood starts gushing out. It fills the field, floods over the table, and completely soaks the surgeon and a good chunk of my legs. After 45 seconds or so there's a huge puddle of blood on the floor and using a bunch of gauze the surgeon managed to stop the bleeding. He starts exploring the abdomen and finds a small vessel supplying the mesentery (essentially fat around the bowels) which had for some reason ruptured. Presumably it ruptured the previous evening and had been bleeding all night. He clamps off the vessel, closes him up, and off he goes.

It was pretty dramatic as both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist gave him a 50-50 chance of surviving the surgery. That was a definitive "you just saved a guy's life" moment. He ended up making a complete recovery.

Pretty cool anecdote.

Reactions: 3 users
After a certain amount of time in the ICU, you start to develop a sense of those who will survive and those who won't. Or at least you start making wagers in your head if you'll see certain patients when you come back in 12 hours. We had a younger patient in his 40's who developed a rare respiratory infection that wasn't responding to treatment. This guy ended up on a rotoprone bed because he had developed ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome). Eventually he went into septic shock, requiring multiple pressors and his kidneys started to shut down and required CRRT (Continual Renal Replacement Therapy). While I see patients come off these machines, they are often last ditch efforts. I didn't think he'd make it through one of my shifts, let alone out transfer out of the unit. Surprisingly he started to improve, was weaned off the vent and hand-delivered a thank you note to our unit a few weeks later.