Ambulatory medicine clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aclamity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come there isn't a thread for the ambulatory med shelf and rotation? Is the prep pretty much the same as for family med? Sorry, it's my first rotation and I have absolutely no clue what to expect or how to study. If there are any gold standard books, practice questions, etc. for this I would love to know. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting with FM also and I have no clue as to which books are the best as primary resources and which review books (Step Up to Step 2, FA for Step 2, etc.) to start using early on to prepare for Step 2. My school has us use Essentials of Family Medicine as a primary text, but Amazon reviews say that book is crap and not helpful at all, so I'm looking for alternative. Thanks in advance! (Sorry to hijack the thread, Aclamity).

Same here.. I've heard blueprint, casefiles, and pretest. Anything else?

I looked through the FM shelf exam thread and it looks like people enjoyed casefiles, pretest, and the aafp questions. No one really had anything good to say about blueprint.

I'm fine with doing a bunch of questions and all, but I really want a good review source to read, or something to sorta guide my studying. There didn't seem to be anything that was overwhelmingly recommended (I hope this isn't the case for other clerkships!)

Last edited:
Yeah I've tried searching for FM information and no one really seems to care about that rotation. There is much more information on peds, IM, surgery, OB/GYN, etc. than FM. I guess we'll just fly by the seat of our pants.