Ambulatory Medicine Shelf Exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xinlitik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My last two rotations are Ambulatory medicine and Family medicine, both of which have NBME shelves. I'm not really clear on how to study for Ambulatory. How much overlap is there with family, and how much with internal medicine?

Would I be okay reading step up medicine and case files family medicine, with maybe some USMLE questions on the side? (for reference, I read only step up medicine for IM and did really well, so if it has the content for Ambulatory I think i'd be fine -- just not clear if it does)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

took the amb adult med shelf. it's very random. it seemed very heavy on internal medicine questions. do MKSAP + some uworld IM Qs.

that said, if you've done medicine, you should be fine

Anyone else have suggestions for the ambulatory internal med shelf? I have heard that MKSAP, step up to medicine, plus U world questions were a good way to study for the shelf. Are there any other resources that were significantly helpful? Also, to my understanding there are no pediatrics cases on this shelf and that there may be some gyne cases but no OB cases. Is that true? Finally, this is the first shelf we are taking on the computer. Anyone have some general advice on what the user interface was like? Thanks!

Bump. This is my second rotation and before I do IM. How difficult will this exam be having not done IM and what additional preparation might I need?

Im considering preparing for it like I would the IM shelf and then hopefully Ill retain a lot for the IM rotation as well.