AMC C.V. Organization / Layout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get some input about how to best organize a CV for use in the AMC setting. I update every 4-6months and I'm less and less satisfied with my layout. Below is what I had and what I'm thinking of doing.

Here are the headings & order of my old layout:
Education
Clinical Experience
Research Experience
Professional Presentations / Publications
Teaching Experience
Professional Training / Certifications
Non-Clinical Work Experience
Computer Skills
Affiliations
Honors & Awards

Here are the headings for my new layout:
Education & Training (will include license #'s & certifications)
Clinical Experience
Research Experience
Publications
Professional Presentations / Invited Talks
Teaching Experience
Professional Affiliations & Leadership Roles
Non-Clinical Work Experience (listing of my 1st career jobs/experience)
Computer Skills (Mostly related to 1st career, though it does have some stats and database programs included)
Honors & Awards

Thoughts?

Anyone willing to share their headers/layout?

Members don't see this ad.

What I've seen in that setting is as follows:
Education
Boards and Certifications
Grant Funding
Professional Experience
Honors/Awards
Publications (articles/chapters-books/manuscripts under review
Symposiums
Poster Presentations
Courses Taught
Lectures (different from full courses, and separated by audience)
Clinical Supervision experience
Service (including supervision of volunteers, committees, journal reviewer, etc)

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I straight stole my cv format by googling the biggest names in the field and using that format.

For bio sketch, I stole the format of a much more successful colleague.

Clearly those people knew what they were doing. I guess I could look like k knew something

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@PSYDR I did the same for both my clinical and research biosketches. :laugh: I have one general biosketch, but the others are for when there is a clear difference/need. It is ridiculous how many different regurgitations I have of the same general information.

I was just thinking about posting a thread asking for the headers on people's CVs, so thanks for this thread.

I've not seen much variance with respect to what's already been posted. However, I have seen a large degree of variance in terms of organization and other stylistic choices. I've always been told to organize things according to what makes the most sense for the purpose of the specific reader to which I'm sending it (when applicable). I realize that's nothing but more busy-work in terms of constantly re-organizing, but when I've seen it done correctly it can make quite a big difference.

Good point. I have a running list...
1. Main CV (the one I'm wanting to overhaul)
2. Research CVs/Biosketches (NIH style…NIDRR…etc)
3. Speaking engagements (biosketch and truncated CV), also sometimes used for CME/CEU submissions
4. Consulting opportunities (different biosketch and re-organized CV)
5. etc.

I keep the main one updated every 3-6 months. The other ones are updated as needed or maybe once a year if I haven't used it.