AMC Promotion Experience/Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear about the various promotion standards across AMCs, particularly for clinical faculty (or atleast <50% research faculty). Anyone go through the review process for promotion? How was the experience? What was the process at your AMC?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious to hear about the various promotion standards across AMCs, particularly for clinical faculty (or atleast <50% research faculty). Anyone go through the review process for promotion? How was the experience? What was the process at your AMC?

At my AMC, there are explicit directions that are made available for the promotions process.

Are their specific aspects of the experience you are curious about? You ask a very broad question. The broad answer is "it was very time consuming."

It was intentionally broad. At my current institution we have a detailed manual and spreadsheet that theoretically should outline a clear path, but it is so convoluted to give leeway to the reviewers, that it'd take 10+ yrs to check all of the boxes (for Associate Professor). I think that's a big reason why so many clinical staff are 10-12+ yr in and at the same rank.

I was mostly wondering if all of the hoops and ridiculously high req. is the norm elsewhere. At my prior institution we were told the #'s were still under the discretion of the committee, but they were much more firm ("get at least X number...").

Some of the impetus of my post came from frustration at the entire process; there are not enough hours in the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was intentionally broad. At my current institution we have a detailed manual and spreadsheet that theoretically should outline a clear path, but it is so convoluted to give leeway to the reviewers, that it'd take 10+ yrs to check all of the boxes (for Associate Professor). I think that's a big reason why so many clinical staff are 10-12+ yr in and at the same rank.

I was mostly wondering if all of the hoops and ridiculously high req. is the norm elsewhere. At my prior institution we were told the #'s were still under the discretion of the committee, but they were much more firm ("get at least X number...").

Some of the impetus of my post came from frustration at the entire process; there are not enough hours in the day.

That sounds exactly like where I am now.

The high requirements for Associate Professor mean that folks 10-15 years into their career are eligible.

The number requirements are also dependent. So if you are strong in certain aspects, it can make up for fewer publications, for example.

You're not alone. :)

Reactions: 1 user
On vacation, but I'll email you our spreadsheet and some other info tomorrow. Research expectations are fairly high even for clinical folks and importantly, the spreadsheet sets the minimums (so realistically...zero chance of promotion when meeting them - I'm almost hitting associate Prof numbers and haven't even been promoted to assistant Prof yet).

Realistically, most of our clinical faculty seem to stay assistant professors forever save for those with a true national/international reputation. Of course, rank is also not tied to salary here so the degree that they care is also up for debate.

Reactions: 1 user