AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA calculator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavric1298

Long live snugseal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So being that my job title is "Revenue and procurement financial systems analyst", I can summarize half of my job as being an excel/sql geek. I wanted a easy way to visualize and summarize many different aspects of my school career, so I put together a quick excel with a few options that I didn't see with other gpa calculators out there.

I have attended school with both semester and quarters, so theres options for that, it will convert letter to numerical using the amcas table, there is a second tab for DO gpa, which you can mark repeats and it will exclude those lines, etc.

Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 12.57.17 PM.JPG

View attachment 189574

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 20140326_AMCAS_GPA_Template.xlsx
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,339
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
1. Anonymize that data. You can be identified from it.

2. That's a thing of beauty.

3. Fun fact: in my experience, those who put in the time to truly understand their grades by doing their own massive Excel production always get into med school. N=1, but it's a fact.

Reactions: 1 users
It's just a random repeat of A-, B, A-, B etc, I pulled all my actual data out, and only left some example classes :D

It really helps too, what I do is just "create a copy" one of the tabs and can run "what ifs", and can visualize exact changes on the graphs.

Members don't see this ad :)
One question: for the BCMP and repeat columns, is there supposed to be some kind of box to checkmark if applicable for a given row, or do I really just type the letter "x" and watch magic happen?

Thanks in advance, this tool you made is AMAZING. Thank you for sharing it!

Just type in the letter x!

Simple IF than statement looking for "x"

I keep getting an error message for rows containing classes that weren't BCMP, which I've left blank. Can I just put zeros or something in there to make the error msg go away, or will that mess up the formulas at all? The error messages are about referring to blank spaces.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your hard work! I was wondering if I could enter graduate school GPA into this?

Reactions: 1 user
^ graduate grades don't get factored into undergrad GPA, so they wouldn't be any use to put on this with your undergrad

Also updated it to auto-calculate year designations (fresh, soph, etc) based on amcas credit thresholds

Is it possible--and if so and I'm just overlooking it--to average course retakes on the AMCAS tab? I know AMCAS doesn't replace grades, but since they average retakes, it would be cool to be able to get the averaged grade, and adjusted GPA, from the retakes.

Awesome work, btw!

We are needy. I appreciate it so much though!

Last edited:
How do I enter in grades with the A/AB/B/BC... etc system?

So being that my job title is "Revenue and procurement financial systems analyst", I can summarize half of my job as being an excel/sql geek. I wanted a easy way to visualize and summarize many different aspects of my school career, so I put together a quick excel with a few options that I didn't see with other gpa calculators out there.

I have attended school with both semester and quarters, so theres options for that, it will convert letter to numerical using the amcas table, there is a second tab for DO gpa, which you can mark repeats and it will exclude those lines, etc.

View attachment 189661

View attachment 189574

This is awesome! Thank you! Does the AACOMAS section include new science designations?

you just make the selection yourself

And go online to look at the conversion charts - and enter it how they tell you

Members don't see this ad :)
Post bacc section maybe? Were so needy when people are offering free work!

Thanks for all your hard work! I was wondering if I could enter graduate school GPA into this?

This is awesome! Thank you! Does the AACOMAS section include new science designations?

Not to take away from the OPs beautiful calculator, but if want to see your undergraduate GPA, science GPA, post-bac/graduate GPA, overall GPA, etc., go find the calculator I posted a few years ago. Should be able to find it under "GPA Calculator Revised.

Note, mine is only for AACOMAS, not AMCAS

Can a tool be created where instead of Alpha grades such as A, B- C+ etc you have scores or marks scored for a course ..say 88 in Bio, 79 In Chem..90 in Physics. I am also unsure how do I find out the credit hours for my university. Some courses have 2 hrs lec / week some have 3 hrs lec / week some have 2 Lec + 3 hrs lab (alternate weeks) and also a combo of 3 Lec + 3 hrs lab (alternate weeks)

Hey guys! I have a question. Per AACOMAS (http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-process/grade-point-averages-gpas/index.html), "Withdrawn" courses are not included in GPA calculations. Does this mean that both credit hours and quality points would go to zero for a class with a grade of "W"? I've copied the text from AACOMAS below and attached a revised version of the spreadsheet that also cancels out W grades (look at Overall Cum. GPA and Overall Cum. sGPA). If my logic on this is incorrect, please let me know. I realize it might take some time to look through, but this may be relevant to others.

Thanks!

Per AACOMAS:
"Q: What types of courses ARE NOT included in my GPAs?

A: Foreign coursework will not be included in the GPAs. In addition, any course in which a grade of withdrawal, pass/no-pass, audit, incomplete, exempted or not yet enrolled is specifically indicated on your official transcript, will not be included in the GPAs."

Attachments

• AACOMAS_sample.xlsx
    92 KB · Views: 73
I don't know how it works on the application, but I assume you can check a box that says "withdrawn" when you enter.
In that case, you can calculate the GPA as if the credit hour is 0; it doesn't matter what the quality point is (4.0 * 0 or 100.0 * 0 is still 0).
Hey guys! I have a question. Per AACOMAS (http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-process/grade-point-averages-gpas/index.html), "Withdrawn" courses are not included in GPA calculations. Does this mean that both credit hours and quality points would go to zero for a class with a grade of "W"? I've copied the text from AACOMAS below and attached a revised version of the spreadsheet that also cancels out W grades (look at Overall Cum. GPA and Overall Cum. sGPA). If my logic on this is incorrect, please let me know. I realize it might take some time to look through, but this may be relevant to others.

Thanks!

Per AACOMAS:
"Q: What types of courses ARE NOT included in my GPAs?

A: Foreign coursework will not be included in the GPAs. In addition, any course in which a grade of withdrawal, pass/no-pass, audit, incomplete, exempted or not yet enrolled is specifically indicated on your official transcript, will not be included in the GPAs."

Ok that makes sense. But I think the original excel file was leaving the credits for a "W" grade intact, while reducing the QP to zero, which would negatively impact the GPA, calculating it more like an "F". I was just trying to correct that.

Thank you!

can someone who has used this table for AACOMAS and had their transcript verify comment on the accuracy of this table? I am trying to plan my next 2 semesters for re-takes just wanted to get an idea of my course load.

thank you

can someone who has used this table for AACOMAS and had their transcript verify comment on the accuracy of this table? I am trying to plan my next 2 semesters for re-takes just wanted to get an idea of my course load.

thank you

Used this and was accurate within .02 GPA pts.

I haven't checked in on this in a while, let me know if you guys want anything changes/updates, but it was basically dead on for me for both AMCAS and AACOMAS for this cycle - minus them screwing up my science GPA, which I only caught because of this excel.

And I don't think I responded to a much earlier question, but this uses a table to convert numeric to letter, then back to numeric (like amcas/aacomas does if you school has numeric on your transcript)....however, its just filling in a letter grade in one of the rows - you can leave the numeric blank and replace the formula with your letter grades

Great calculator. I wish there were an easier way to change the formulas since I have well over 200 hours but it's not that hard to do manually. Thanks.

One thing I noticed is that 3.5 is a B+ on this calculator whereas 3.3 is a B+ on the AACOMAS website. not sure if anyone else noticed that.

The conversion table is directly from AMCAS for the numeric to letter. There are a bunch of different tables you might have to use/substitute - I'll go back and update the aacomas one if it's different

@kamakazi5 what exactly is the problem with 200? You can always drag the formulas down further. Is there something else limiting (I don't remember) I can go update that as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

oh so I think AMCAS does B+ = 3.5, but for AACOMAS B+ = 3.3

strange okay. I think the excel just needs to be updated!

The conversion table is directly from AMCAS for the numeric to letter. There are a bunch of different tables you might have to use/substitute - I'll go back and update the aacomas one if it's different...I can go update that as well

Thanks so much for creating this, @mavric1298 !
I just downloaded the Excel file. I believe both the AMCAS and AACOMAS parts need to be updated. The GPA Scale is the same now for both :) (A --> 4; A- ---> 3.7; B+ ---> 3.3; B --> 3; B- --> 2.7; C+ --> 2.3; C--> 2; C- --> 1.7; D+ --> 1.3; D --> 1; D- -->0.7; F --> 0)

Thanks :) Do i put input the pass/grade classes's number of credits even though I did not technically receive a grade?

This thing is great. Because my undergrad institution uses a numeric scale on its transcripts, I edited in the AACOMAS numeric-grade-to-letter-grade table in the reference area:
AACOMAS GRADE SCALE
4-3.8 A
3.79-3.6 A-
3.59-3.4 AB
3.39-3.1 B+
3.09-2.8 B
2.79-2.6 B-
2.59-2.4 BC
2.39-2.1 C+
2.09-1.8 C

This thing is great. Because my undergrad institution uses a numeric scale on its transcripts, I edited in the AACOMAS numeric-grade-to-letter-grade table in the reference area:
AACOMAS GRADE SCALE
4-3.8 A
3.79-3.6 A-
3.59-3.4 AB
3.39-3.1 B+
3.09-2.8 B
2.79-2.6 B-
2.59-2.4 BC
2.39-2.1 C+
2.09-1.8 C

Umm... The Microsoft Excel File you downloaded was from 2014 (also, there's a mistake in its calculation of step grades, like B+ and B-). Anyways, the most updated version is linked in this thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...s-aacomas-gpa-calculator-spreadsheet.1231830/

Last edited: